Chorus - Space Combat Sim - 2021

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After spending around twenty hours trying to find a way to have fun in Starsector I'm kinda glad a lot of the bits of chorus are shallow.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Don't be bad is generally a requirement to find a game fun. Still rocked my world that others played that shit on auto because driving yourself was hard. This is why we have games removing scoreboards so people are less aware of their sucking.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Game got a lot more fun after I brought my USB foot pedals into the mix.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088TQXYX2?th=1

Left foot: boost
Right foot: drift

Game can get a little busy with the button presses on the left hand, and the right hand is used constantly for aiming so alleviating the constant right finger press/hold is nice.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm having fun, yeah.

I've played so many space combat sims. I can only play them once every couple of years because even with all the special abilities it's still centered around "Fly around and hit leading targets with projectiles". It's fun but gets old faster than shooters / ARPGs / strategy/god games.

Have you tried everspace 2? Even in early access it's probably my favorite space shooter.

It combines old-school Descent's 3D movement and combat with a full-blown ARPG randomized loot system and even procedural dungeons/encounters in space. It can get pretty roguelike in some of those places too.

The recent update included a new fighter class that uses drones for what is essentially a "pet class".

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Game got a lot more fun after I brought my USB foot pedals into the mix.
Yeah, I remove two of the four paddles on my controller for most games, but Chorus immediately had me digging in the case for the other two. I really don't like it when games expect you to hold the controller so that you can press LB and LT at the same time.

Leap and Drift on the lower pair, gatling and missiles (lasers are useless imo) on the uppers has worked best for me so far.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Have you tried everspace 2? Even in early access it's probably my favorite space shooter.

It combines old-school Descent's 3D movement and combat with a full-blown ARPG randomized loot system and even procedural dungeons/encounters in space. It can get pretty roguelike in some of those places too.

The recent update included a new fighter class that uses drones for what is essentially a "pet class".

Never even heard of it, thanks! When do you think it'll leave early access?

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Never even heard of it, thanks! When do you think it'll leave early access?

I don't know but they published their 2022 roadmap and it doesn't include being completed in that year:

It's playable fine now and the ARPG loot/crafting is already pretty solid and they're adding another ship class soon.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Everspace 1 was really fun. Think I read somewhere that Everspace 2 changed the format a bit. Dandain Dandain and I put some time in though. Hopefully this 2nd one is good too, may hold off until after early access though and dive in to Chorus.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have not purchased Everspace 2 because of my policy against Early Access games, but the first one was really good.

I tried the demo of this and the controls took quite a bit of getting used to. Not sure if I will buy or wait a year for this to randomly come in the monthly humble bundle, because this is exactly the kind of game that randomly shows up in humble bundles.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Everspace 2 is shaping up to be a really good game. Sucks that there's no end in sight for the EA though, I only want to play the finished version and I want to play it on console too (Game Pass EA is PC-only).

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I put about 7 or 8 hrs into Everspace 2, going slow and exploring, and decided I wanted to wait to play more until it was finished since I'm not usually big into replays of story-driven games.

The controls and mechanics of the game brought back those Descent feels, and they're really solid. Music and visuals are really good, too.
I had a blast, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more when its ready!

In addition to the 2022 Roadmap posted above, a new trailer came out yesterday.

oh, btw it's on Gamepass already, too!

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Maybe my 980Ti is finally dying or something bc I can’t even finish a new Dark Souls 3 play through due to crashing and stuttering. And now Chorus won’t even load after completing the intro tutorial mission.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Maybe my 980Ti is finally dying or something bc I can’t even finish a new Dark Souls 3 play through due to crashing and stuttering. And now Chorus won’t even load after completing the intro tutorial mission.

Why do you think it is the video card?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok nope you are right the video card is fried - time for a new one.

Intrinsic Intrinsic show this to your lady.

"So we conducted a memtest which was nominal with timings in range of configuration. CPU Test - checked out - temps were nominal along with high stress load compute. However, what we found was when disabling V-Sync for the 980ti, it was overriding the temperature sensor thereby disabling the coolant system native to the card as a result. Subsequently, those artifacts you were experiencing before the crashes began led to a worsening situation over time. This will soon impact your system with V-Sync enabled as this condition gets worse and also may cause heat related issues to the rest of the components in your system. You did everything you could to not upgrade the card. We commend your efforts.

Due to a major chip shortage and supply chain issues for the GM200 chip set, we will not be able to replace the card. However, we would recommend, based on findings from dxdiag, that you choose the 3080 series. If you stay with us as a customer, we will give you a free steam game code and 5% off. You had a very good run though for a 6 year old video card. I am going to make sure I pass on to quality assurance that we definitely can stand by our phrase - We Make Things To Last.

Yours Truly - EVGA."

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Digging it a lot now that I'm further in and have unlocked Rites. The difficulty has been fine on Medium, only one death so far to the first mission with turrets b/c they just sorta popped up and zapped me. Have opened the 2nd area and done a few missions in there and just realized I've been getting gear with Set Bonuses.

Mostly I don't try to do too much at one time when fighting. Even though you can boost and teleport and drift, I just play it like an arcade space shooter and don't bother constantly trying to juggle weapon swapping and every possible skill. We'll see how that goes in the long run. Also the TP works surprisingly well, a lot of it feels like things translated directly from a standard 3rd person on land action rpg, just in space. That sounds kind of redundant but many feel way to space sim-like where this trends much more arcade.

It is also a cool setting that is very Senua reminiscent with the whispering inner dialogue, the memories, and just the character model. All blended with a heavy dose of Brandon Sanderson's Skyward. Not that he's the first person to do these concepts but seeing as how the 3rd book in the series just came out it is hard to not compare them.

Hopefully it stays at this level b/c it is just fun flying through space and shooting pirates. Doing some drifting and teleport backstab pew pew. Not much more I could ask for really given the price and expectations.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It is also a cool setting that is very Senua reminiscent with the whispering inner dialogue, the memories, and just the character model. All blended with a heavy dose of Brandon Sanderson's Skyward. Not that he's the first person to do these concepts but seeing as how the 3rd book in the series just came out it is hard to not compare them.
Yeah the similarity to Skyward is remarkable. I read the first two books and it's impossible not to fit Chorus in the same universe in my "head cannon" with Nara being an older version of Spensa after she was triumphant in making humans the predominant species in the galaxy and they all got corrupted by the Void. And frankly the Skyward universe fit into the Warhammer 40k universe in my "head cannon" with the Void being the Immaterium.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So this ended up kind of blah with a lot of missed opportunities.

I really enjoyed the combat. It never quite reached the level of interesting it could have with a little more weapon variety and customizations. The framework is there with weapon specific bonuses, set bonuses, damage types, hull, shield, energy modifications, and your Rite powers, but it doesn't really matter to try and swap stuff around or experiment. You can but it doesn't really change much when you can zap something from full to zero shields and then shoot it twice with a gatling and blow it up.

Flying around and drifting and teleporting was fun and they needed to use more of that. Towards the end there is a "stealth" mission and one mission that seems like there's some cool asteroid racing, city racing, something else to take advantage of the boosting and drifting. As it is you use it to fight and that's about it. Which goes in to the overall mission variety and side missions. Not a lot of it. The random encounters are of three to four types, all the same thing, and some of them happen in really odd places like they aren't supposed to. They also interrupt whatever conversation is going on if you get to close or one jumps in on top of you.

The two boss fights are just extremely tedious and poorly designed. Just

Money is meaningless. I had over $150k going in to the final area and had never even stopped to spend credits past the one or two times it forces you to. If you do side missions or the random encounters you're quickly capped on Hull / Shield upgrades and cannot unlock the next tier until story progress.

And the story seemed like it had some interesting beats but never quite reached really good. The writing talent and voice acting just didn't sell it enough maybe? The ending is way too abrupt (the ending ending, once you beat the boss) and it just doesn't seem to know where to go along the way.

I wish this thing could be modded and let people add on to or flesh out the systems, b/c it is really cool to zip around and blast ships. The final fight between capital ships was a hint at some killer stuff they could have done. Don't want to dog it too much b/c I did enjoy it it just ended on a down note.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Picked it up on PS5 (I have a big TV and 9.2 surround) and its an amazing zen experience just playing the game. I am about halfway though and really liking it a lot. Its what I wanted out of the last attempt of an XWing game by EA. Decent story, smooth controls, and lots of visual eye candy (without turning into the dreaded diareah christmas lights thing). For the price its a solid game. I would compare it in some ways to being a more enjoyable Rebel Galaxy 2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I put about 7 or 8 hrs into Everspace 2, going slow and exploring, and decided I wanted to wait to play more until it was finished since I'm not usually big into replays of story-driven games.

The controls and mechanics of the game brought back those Descent feels, and they're really solid. Music and visuals are really good, too.
I had a blast, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more when its ready!

In addition to the 2022 Roadmap posted above, a new trailer came out yesterday.

oh, btw it's on Gamepass already, too!
Was reading the chorus thread debating if I wanted it, and saw the ES 2 posts. Forgot I apparently already bought it in EA> Going 1.0 in April with I think launch updates, so guess I'll que that up to play here pretty soon. Decided Chorus looked too spastic for me. (Still waiting for VR and affordable but good controls, for whatever reason I'm happier playing on a controller than a full blown flight stick in most cases. Need something with a lot more resistance and actual pedals but I'm cheap and dont want to spend $300+ for 1-2 games.