Chrome update 37 WTF

Column_sl

shitlord
Are you on Windows 8? I wonder if this is some weird thing they didn't test with windows 7 at 1080p.

BTW this is with their new font feature turned off, its even worse with it turned on.

The left browser is chrome update 37 the right browser is firefox

rrr_img_74797.jpg

Besides that the biggest thing is the scaling. Its like it thinks the browser is set way lower then 1920x1080
Like 1600 rez for the browser

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm so pissed right now I can't see straight. Firefox is a fucking terrible browser, and no way I'm going back to IE

I may just roll back, and regedit chrome to not update to 37.

Column_sl

shitlord
Frederico Silva says:
My Chrome is blurry as hell. 8.1 64-bit

Pages aren't scaling either. I get 2 columns on G+ with a 1080p 15.6" screen x)

Posted on Aug 26 2014 | 2:09 pm - 22 hours ago REPLY
dumbcow1 says:
Whoa. That's odd, 32 vs 64 bit shouldn't have any effect on scaling...or resolution for that matter..... Something is off...

Posted via Android Central App

Posted on Aug 26 2014 | 2:59 pm - 22 hours ago REPLY
Frederico Silva says:
When the beta came out (with 64-bit support and the better font rendering) I tested it and got the same blurry pages and unscaled stuff, and I dreaded the day theu would update the Stable with it.

I think it has to do with the DirectWrite font stuff, not sure, but I'm not alone it this issue - see Chrome issue 395425 (I can't post a link)

Column_sl

shitlord
Holy Fuck, thank god for the internet fixing shit quick. Here's the workaround

Here's the workaround for anyone experiencing the scaling/blurry issue... Go to your Chrome shortcut's properties (right click Chrome icon, go to Properties). Then in the "Target:" field, enter the following /high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1 right after the closing quotation marks currently at the end of the text already in that field (chrome.exe"). Make sure there's a space right after the closing quotation before you input the new text. Restart Chrome. --- NOTES: If Chrome is pinned to your Taskbar, unpin it, open and confirm this fix took, then re-pin) / If you allow Chrome to run on desktop in background (even w/o browser open), you also must Exit/Kill that on your desktop in order for this fix to take hold. --- Good Luck and hope this helps!
It's still not perfect because you have to scale it up to 125%, but it will do.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not home to see if it's updated yet, but I swear they've made some baffling decisions with Chrome. The biggest one that stands out is when they removed the arrow buttons on the scroll bars. Like, who's the asshole idiot who signed off on that being a good idea?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I use them when I need more precise scrolling than the mousewheel gives. It's not something I notice myself ever doing, but once they were gone I noticed that I apparently used them often enough to be annoyed when they were gone.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah, what a fuck up by them. Also do this fix with the above fix.

1. Navigate to "chrome://flags" using the address bar
2. Find the section titled "Disable DirectWrite"
3. Click "Enable" within that section
4. Click the "Relaunch Now" button at the bottom of the screen

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just upgraded to the 64 bit version of 37 today, and the fonts render great.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I don't have this problem either. Could very well be a driver thing, though, being DirectWrite.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My wife does, she's a fucking pleb
Christ, I'm happy when the people I work with use the scroll bars. Most of them, when viewing a pdf file, actually use the little hand on the screen and pull down to go to the next page...even if the page they want is 10 pages away! There is nothing I hate more than watching them spastically working the mouse up and down to scroll the page.

Yes, I've shown them the arrows and the mouse wheel. They are old(er) and are lucky they made it through high school, so I guess I should be happy they can even navigate a pdf at all.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I enjoy watching people navigate around using a notebook touchpad during presentations. Just plug in a mouse for pete's sake.