Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy CTE

Qhue

Trump's Staff
110 N.F.L Brains

New York Times article on the research of Dr. Ann McKee. Obvious selection bias since the families involved offered the posthumous opportunity to examine their loved ones based on a suspicion they suffered from a degenerative brain disorder. Even still it is fairly sobering to see the sorts of long term damage that is being done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm sure this isn't what the NFL wants to see a month before the season kicks off.

This has gotten to the point where I think I'll encourage my kids to play soccer or hockey rather than football. CTE is no joke.

• 1Solidarity

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't let my kids play any form of football. They piss and moan about it because we live in TX and football is king. They'll thank me later.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Vinen

God is dead
I haven't let my kids play any form of football. They piss and moan about it because we live in TX and football is king. They'll thank me later.

I regularly mock my cousin for letting his kids play football in High School and College. Then again his kids look mentally off anyhow so it likely won't change anything.

• 1Solidarity

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
soccer is almost as bad at football for the head trauma dept- "headers" hurt the brain.
hockey also, think a minute- hard ice, less head padding plus checking= potential just as bad

basketball and baseball are pretty much - from a head injury standpoint- the safer sports.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Only losers get brain damage. I don't like losers, I like winners.

• 2Worf
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 3 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
soccer is almost as bad at football for the head trauma dept- "headers" hurt the brain.
hockey also, think a minute- hard ice, less head padding plus checking= potential just as bad

basketball and baseball are pretty much - from a head injury standpoint- the safer sports.
Its pretty rare in hockey to have your head hit the ice or anything hard for that matter. I think on a whole it's probably a lot safer than football. No idea about soccer though hadn't considered that.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

There was an 8-9 year old kid playing soccer with the YMCA here that ran into the back of another kids head when they were going up for a ball and knocked 6 of his teeth out. Required surgery to fix.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Soccer is number 1 in head injuries in high school with cheer leading number 2. Football is number 3.

• 1Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Soccer is number 1 in head injuries in high school with cheer leading number 2. Football is number 3.

Yea I don't think football produces the severe head injuries because they wear helmets. It's the accumulated injuries from years of getting hit in the head. Cheerleading and soccer probably produce more acute injuries with far fewer actual impacts to the head.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

This right here is going to be a major contributor to the end of football.

The more that parents prevent their kids from playing organized football, the less talent will be available to work its way through the high school, college, and eventually to the NFL.

With shittier grades of talent making it to the NFL, the product will eventually suffer because of it. Granted this is not going to happen over night, it will be gradual change that we will probably see at the end of our lifetime.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yea I don't think football produces the severe head injuries because they wear helmets. It's the accumulated injuries from years of getting hit in the head. Cheerleading and soccer probably produce more acute injuries with far fewer actual impacts to the head.

^^

Busting your head open from a single bad impact is completely different from tons of light impacts every time you play.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck that, chess for my kid.

Bit more seriously, basketball or baseball.

Realistically: CS:GO.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
All to be abolished by the time my kid is in high school since they are white privilege activities.

Yes, there are more alternatives than the ones I listed.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Fuck. I need to show this article to my son. He's 15 and has been playing football since he was 8. I'm sure that at this age he will show no signs of CTE...but you know they will be there later in life.

Fucks sake that stat about 87 out of the 202 from high school to CFL showing effects is crazy.

I "wish" they had more modern cases to work with. With the advancement of equipment, and the rule changes being a factor.

Fadaar

That guy
If you want your kid to make a fuckton of money get them into baseball, unless you have one of them amazon children thats 6' tall by middle school then maybe basketball.

• 1Like