Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy CTE

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
All these pussies are why football sucks now. I've mostly stopped watching it for a few years myself, because I can't find joy unless large buff men are trying to hurt each other for my enjoyment. Do you think I give a fuck how they get brain damage? Tons of extra rules to try and protect players just slow down and make the game terrible to watch with little to no actual results.

As for kids, I'd be okay with my dumb one playing football. Up to them if they want to, but even the stupid kids need a path to being successful.

• 4Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yep, that right there is the type of response I was expecting.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Yep, that right there is the type of response I was expecting.

People would still hold gladiatorial games if they could get away with it. While I completely understand your perspective and would never let any children of mine play, I also understand that a huge amount of footballs appeal is watching high level athletes inflict abuse upon each other. As they make the game more safe to play it becomes less appealing to watch.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
People would still hold gladiatorial games if they could get away with it. While I completely understand your perspective and would never let any children of mine play, I also understand that a huge amount of footballs appeal is watching high level athletes inflict abuse upon each other. As they make the game more safe to play it becomes less appealing to watch.
Like I said in my earlier wall of text, I have no issue with MMA because it doesn't misrepresent what it is. Those in charge of Football portray it as a wholesome family sport that is safe, it is as american as Baseball and Apple Pie. There is a Family Owned Bar/Restaurant here in town that i asked the owner if they ever have the MMA Fights gave me a sideways look as if I spit on him and said "No, we try to keep a family atmosphere here." I then replied "But you show Football Games on the weekend right?" He was not even remotely interested in discussing that any further.

Honestly if the NFL and the NCAA were just more honest about what Football really is, then I would have no issue with it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Like I said in my earlier wall of text, I have no issue with MMA because it doesn't misrepresent what it is. Those in charge of Football portray it as a wholesome family sport that is safe, it is as american as Baseball and Apple Pie. There is a Family Owned Bar/Restaurant here in town that i asked the owner if they ever have the MMA Fights gave me a sideways look as if I spit on him and said "No, we try to keep a family atmosphere here." I then replied "But you show Football Games on the weekend right?" He was not even remotely interested in discussing that any further.

Honestly if the NFL and the NCAA were just more honest about what Football really is, then I would have no issue with it.
In that guy's defense, he could have been referring to the type of crowd each draws. MMA fights bring in a lot of 20 something white trash who aren't a great fit for a family restaurant.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Where did you play Oblio Oblio ?

Not that I think my kids will be big enough to play, but my wife and I are pretty dead set against them playing football. Sucks because I think there are a ton of benefits and I personally love the sport, I just don't see it being worth the risk.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Where did you play Oblio Oblio ?

Not that I think my kids will be big enough to play, but my wife and I are pretty dead set against them playing football. Sucks because I think there are a ton of benefits and I personally love the sport, I just don't see it being worth the risk.

The University of Washington, I played Center & Guard.

And no, I didn't watch them last year when they were really good, which was difficult for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
The University of Washington. I played Center & Guard.

Just curious, longtime PAC12 (10) fan, we just hired Lorenzo Romar as an asst. coach which I think is an awesome get for us. I've heard really great things about the man, too bad he couldn't get it to gel consistently on the court. I remember some battles between UA/UW during the Brandon Roy/Nate Robinson/Isaiah Thomas eras. Hated those guys! LOL!

Washington was a force in the early 90s when I was finishing HS. Must be hard to step away.

Is there a middle ground where you could see yourself participating by teaching/coaching/studying against injury? Help change the sport for the better? Or do you think that's just not possible?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just curious, longtime PAC12 (10) fan, we just hired Lorenzo Romar as an asst. coach which I think is an awesome get for us. I've heard really great things about the man, too bad he couldn't get it to gel consistently on the court. I remember some battles between UA/UW during the Brandon Roy/Nate Robinson/Isaiah Thomas eras. Hated those guys! LOL!

Washington was a force in the early 90s when I was finishing HS. Must be hard to step away.

Is there a middle ground where you could see yourself participating by teaching/coaching/studying against injury? Help change the sport for the better? Or do you think that's just not possible?

Romar is a solid recruiter and a rule follower, however his awesome personality did not translate in to wins on the court. I think he will make a great Assistant Coach for you.

I was at UW in the 90's and here is something funny/ironic...not long after I finished the program went to shit and I suffered through watching season after season of just a garbage product on the field. Then finally when I stop watching they get good and make it to the playoffs., maybe I was the problem all along.

Regarding your last question, I would love for there to be a scenario where that were able to play out, however the way the culture is at the moment I just don't see it happening anytime soon. You only need to look as far as Goodell's stupid comments about life span and safety from a few days ago. And regarding that Adams kid with the Jets that said he would die on the field, I have nothing bad to say about him. I get it, i was him once, I would be curious to ask him how he feels about those comments in 20 or 30 years.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Romar is a solid recruiter and a rule follower, however his awesome personality did not translate in to wins on the court. I think he will make a great Assistant Coach for you.

I was at UW in the 90's and here is something funny/ironic...not long after I finished the program went to shit and I suffered through watching season after season of just a garbage product on the field. Then finally when I stop watching they get good and make it to the playoffs., maybe I was the problem all along.

Regarding your last question, I would love for there to be a scenario where that were able to play out, however the way the culture is at the moment I just don't see it happening anytime soon. You only need to look as far as Goodell's stupid comments about life span and safety from a few days ago. And regarding that Adams kid with the Jets that said he would die on the field, I have nothing bad to say about him. I get it, i was him once, I would be curious to ask him how he feels about those comments in 20 or 30 years.

I heard a good take on that yesterday while listening to sports radio, can't remember who it was that said it, but basically a veteran that is Jamal Adam's mentor for the Jets, essentially saying the same thing. The point was, who gives a shit what the rookie says? The vets feel the same way. it's unfortunately a top down thing.

And yeah, not to rub it in, but you picked a bad time to stop watching Huskies football. Petersen making magic happen there.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Isn't the issue the jarring motion of the brain over time with CTE not actual instant trauma? I don't see how a helmet can really fix that part of the issue, you have to dissipate force and it has to go somewhere. The helmets aren't giant pillows or magical dampers. If you're running forward full speed then not, the brain is going to suddenly deccelerate.

I think there can be improvement in tackling techniques. I wonder if any former Rugby players brains have been looked at.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Well, we could take away all the body armor and the players would be forced to clean up their tackling.

Szlia

If standard training regimen and standard competition in a sport is shown to result in a significant likeliness of irreversible brain damage, I am not sure why there is even a debate: the standards of said sport must be changed.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
If standard training regimen and standard competition in a sport is shown to result in a significant likeliness of irreversible brain damage, I am not sure why there is even a debate: the standards of said sport must be changed.
It is really just that simple isn't it? It amazes me that the vast majority of Football fans are in such denial or they just don't care.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
They need to start getting rid of people who dole out needless hits, I'm pretty sure that cheap shot Kurt Warner took in the Saints game probably led to his decision to retire. Too many people are looking to just hurt someone and not make a football play.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
There is work being done at the youth and high school level. The old "head and body on the play side" method of tackling has been dropped for the Pete Carroll "wrap and roll" technique.

There are a few old school assholes that bitch about giving up an extra yard by not hitting the guy full force, but I'll take that trade off.