Cities Skylines II

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I still play the original game from time to time still. I can't wait for this one!

• 7Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I still play the original game from time to time still. I can't wait for this one!

Oh nice. Yeah the original is awesome.

Looking at this trailer makes me wonder who the terrible urban planner was who built a main highway that'd have everyone driving directly into the sun during morning rush hour.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Fucking rad, the first game is definitely the best city sim I've ever played. Definitely looking forward to this, and bonus is this sort of game is really hard to wokeify!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Complete lack of gameplay footage is not encouraging.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I really hope they add more of a compelling city planning/management aspect to the game. The first game had a lot of systems and options but there wasn't really any difficulty or challenge.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I really hope they add more of a compelling city management aspect to the game. The first game had a lot of systems and options but there wasn't really any difficulty or challenge.
Yeah the two big features I'd care about are difficulty modes and scalability. I've played a lot of Sim City but got bored mid-tier in Skylines because it was kinda easy and just felt like a city "painter" instead of a city builder.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It actually just broke down into a traffic simulator, the choke point of every system was ultimately traffic.

There were also just way too many mods and DLCs that felt mandatory, or DLCs that were pointless, and impossible to tell the difference just by looking at them.

The base game felt better than before they started adding DLCs.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
It actually just broke down into a traffic simulator, the choke point of every system was ultimately traffic.

There were also just way too many mods and DLCs that felt mandatory, or DLCs that were pointless, and impossible to tell the difference just by looking at them.

The base game felt better than before they started adding DLCs.
Yeah played the shit out of this game for a month or so on launch, figured out how to make a city with no traffic because everyone walked to work and it was glorious. Checked back like 6 months later and they had like 200 bucks in DLC... Up to 331 now.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like

Daidraco

Yeah played the shit out of this game for a month or so on launch, figured out how to make a city with no traffic because everyone walked to work and it was glorious. Checked back like 6 months later and they had like 200 bucks in DLC... Up to 331 now.
I played it a bit when it first came out like that, then put it down. Then came back and started playing it a bit when I was trying out Nvidia's streaming service from where I worked at the time. Felt the exact same way - instead of fixing basic shit in the game, they just monetized the patches as DLC's. Or at least thats the vibe I got.

Im curious if Skylines 2 is just going to be a graphical update, but they still continue to keep the same monetization plan going forward. "Ya. Traffic sucks, and we have the fix for it all for 4.99!"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I got one DLC early on. Trying to remember what it was. I think it had something to do with snow? Like "add winter weather and cold streets for "9.99" kind of thing. Had some other stuff included, maybe new building types. I got it because I thought it'd be like a regular game and a DLC was a big deal.

Quickly realized that they were just releasing patches as paid DLC and now there's a ton of it. That gets a yikes from me dawg.

• 3Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Same thing with planet zoo and coaster (both great sims). The dlc got to be ridiculous in cost. There are super dedicated players who buy it all though and play these games as their only gaming outlets

Daidraco

Same thing with planet zoo and coaster (both great sims). The dlc got to be ridiculous in cost. There are super dedicated players who buy it all though and play these games as their only gaming outlets
Im sure it makes more money nickel and diming it over just releasing an expansion - but apparently Im not alone in that I would consider paying $40 for an expansion before I spend $40 in $2 increments. Especially when the DLC's are as hollow as "New Building with no features, just cosmetic for only $3.99!" coming out every month.

• 3Like

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's a Paradox game, they are the kings of DLC. Between Cities Skylines and Europa Universalis IV and Stellaris I think they've proven that pretty well. I don't imagine this game will be any different.

• 1Like

yerm

They've kept the dlc model throughout their games but put in passes where you can basically lease all the dlc and play that way. If you're someone who tends to pick up a game, splurge, and then put it down for a while, just paying for a monthly dlc pass when you do play can work.

• 1Like

Daidraco

They've kept the dlc model throughout their games but put in passes where you can basically lease all the dlc and play that way. If you're someone who tends to pick up a game, splurge, and then put it down for a while, just paying for a monthly dlc pass when you do play can work.
Doesnt gamepass do this with some of their games? I havent paid for it in a while.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Fucking rad, the first game is definitely the best city sim I've ever played. Definitely looking forward to this, and bonus is this sort of game is really hard to wokeify!
15 minute walking city DLC coming soon

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
I remember one simcity. If you built a coal plant it would alert you that polar bears are actively dying because of your specific coal plant and that wind or solar would fix this.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

I remember one simcity. If you built a coal plant it would alert you that polar bears are actively dying because of your specific coal plant and that wind or solar would fix this.
Think that was Sim City 4 iirc. Funny how its predecessor had the buildings listed below. If they were a reality, lord knows how much pollution one would put out. But all would be forgiven with the ones that have the Park on top. Can see the lighter ones being ESG kings, but a literal hive of communism. Where as the black ones would only give you the illusion you have a choice. You know, uniparty things.
15 minute walking city DLC coming soon
Sim City 2000 already had them.
AYXD1--rndFdKVDwdJq9OpP6SbK1k9LSjuvn6q6cjSQ.jpg

• 1Like