Cities: Skylines

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Those are deserts where you can't build any housing without serious infrastructure investments first
smile.png
We're looking at grass here, as you say yourself. If someone were to raise a city out of nothing, you'd see at least farmland in the unclaimed parts, houses and other stuff instead of just nothing.
Look up California City on Google Maps.
rrr_img_92869.jpg

That's a lot of zoning still waiting to fill up.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Here's what bothers me about this. No city in the whole world looks like that. Not even close. It's basically the uncanny valley of cities. There are also no real problems. I want something that is ball breaking hard, that pulls you down and you still try to get ahead anyways, instead of this "problem is X, so apply solution Y" and it works.
I saw a streamer basically unlock the whole map, then build 3 separate small low density towns far apart from each other. Then gradually built them all up and allowed them to merge together. It looked like the most amazing way to play to me, it was sort of this organic growth across a fairly mountainous map which looked beautiful in the end.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is there an optimal ratio of residential:industry:commercial? I keep zoning according to need which causes big blocks of industry/offices but I'd rather spread things out since concentrrated blocks make traffic.
Commercial needs goods to sell, which means either industry or very good cargo train/shipping supply lines.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I saw a streamer basically unlock the whole map, then build 3 separate small low density towns far apart from each other. Then gradually built them all up and allowed them to merge together. It looked like the most amazing way to play to me, it was sort of this organic growth across a fairly mountainous map which looked beautiful in the end.
Which is what I'm tempted to do with a save of mine. Bulldoze everything, use my 3m banked and build small towns and start over.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't played much but this is something I've wanted to try.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
one of the best mods I've found so far

Steam Workshop :: Extended Road Upgrade - Upgrade between one- and two-way roads!

Allows you to change any road to one way, or back again, just by dragging over and already existing road in the direction you want it to flow. Damn nice not having to destroy a road and rebuild it just to test out traffic flow directions.

Been testing out a bunch of mods today, and I have no idea what caused it but all of a sudden I can't view ANYTHING that is underground. water pipes, subway pipes, etc. Makes it damn hard to build if you cant see existing lines to connect into. Water I can still manage because you can tell roughly where a pipe is from the area it covers, but subways are impossible. Hrmmm.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Here's what bothers me about this. No city in the whole world looks like that. Not even close. It's basically the uncanny valley of cities. There are also no real problems. I want something that is ball breaking hard, that pulls you down and you still try to get ahead anyways, instead of this "problem is X, so apply solution Y" and it works.
I don't understand this complaint... What's stopping you from building a city in a "real world city" style? It seems just as silly as the tards who claim that Elder Scrolls games are ruined because fast travel removes any sense of immersion or size to the world. Nobody and nothing forces you to use fast travel in those games, and nobody and nothing forces you to build "unrealistic" cities with just big blocks of squares all compacted together to min/max space...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I agree that if you can just built sky-scrapers in the middle of no where like that they missed the mark in terms of difficulty and realism. I haven't played the game yet but I hope they mod in or make settings that require reactive gameplay and design for situations so the player has to make decisions as they build.

One problem I imagine we all had with previous sim cities is that once we found a good layout to copy we could just stamp it all over the map and just let it grow like a field of chia pets. Our biggest concern was disruption of those layouts for the airport.

It'd need something in addition to mods like this:
Steam Workshop :: Hard Times

Which just make ideal/prepared layouts/build orders/strategies less profitable rather than unusable.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So i went to get the box version of this... allready sold out. Looks to be quite a hit.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
How do you guys deal with power plants running out of fuel? It says trucks can't get to them but that's basically bullshit. I've made two lane elevated high ways that ONLY lead to the power plant and the fuel trucks refuse to use them and eventually I just go bankrupt.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I deal with it by not using archaic means of power production :p

Where are the trucks coming from? There's probably a jam up the line somewhere.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
How do you guys deal with power plants running out of fuel? It says trucks can't get to them but that's basically bullshit. I've made two lane elevated high ways that ONLY lead to the power plant and the fuel trucks refuse to use them and eventually I just go bankrupt.
Power plants are cheap all things considered, if this is really your issue just bulldoze it and build a new one.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is my first sim city type of game ever playing so I may not just be as savvy as some of the stuff, but I almost always fail when my city gets around 5k population. Too frustrating to try and keep fuel coming to the power plants, dump trucks going to and fro dumps and stuff like that. This is all before I can get an incinerator and the upgraded stuff.

I deal with it by not using archaic means of power production :p

Where are the trucks coming from? There's probably a jam up the line somewhere.
I assume they come from the high way next to the town? Not really sure.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unless you have some desire to use coal for whatever reason, it's barely any more expensive to use wind and it solves the problem entirely since my wind generators are like a mile from my town and just wired into it. Otherwise you have to look at your traffic UI and see what the holdup is and try to streamline it.

Incinerators need their trucks to get to/from places too though. 5k is a pretty low population to have severe traffic problems so you may just need to literally use bigger roads OR if you don't want density, spread out more and make sure you have enough facilities to cover the areas. Having a road from the highway to your plant SEEMS like it would work so it's a matter of digging deeper and seeing where the problem lies.

Also make sure any one-way/highway roads you have are going the correct direction. They go the way you drag the mouse when you create them, no matter what they are being built from or into. A ton of people build them going the wrong way at first.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So who has made the biggest city so far?
I'm up to about 140K population, and I've built everything there is to build, every monument and everything. My city is spread out quite a bit, I've purchased all 25 tiles in my region and I've built in parts of about 12 of them so far. I'd say maybe 4 of the tiles are REALLY dense, another 8 I've only built a few roads through and maybe a couple small industry areas or something, and half the tiles are still untouched(but a lot of those are half water) I'll post some screenshots when I get home.

There's really nothing left for me to do other than fill the map. I'm making $100,000+ a week in profit, and my population still keeps slowly climbing(usually 100-300 per week)

I could definitely use some disasters to play around with, my city is basically to the point of having virtually infinite money to keep expanding, and the expanding is just the same thing over and over. Block off a huge square, divide it up with N/S/E/W cross streets, throw down a fire station, a police station, a trash incenerator, a crematorium, and then zone it up.

Caliane

I agree that if you can just built sky-scrapers in the middle of no where like that they missed the mark in terms of difficulty and realism. I haven't played the game yet but I hope they mod in or make settings that require reactive gameplay and design for situations so the player has to make decisions as they build.

One problem I imagine we all had with previous sim cities is that once we found a good layout to copy we could just stamp it all over the map and just let it grow like a field of chia pets. Our biggest concern was disruption of those layouts for the airport.

It'd need something in addition to mods like this:
Steam Workshop :: Hard Times

Which just make ideal/prepared layouts/build orders/strategies less profitable rather than unusable.
yeah, one thing I keep seeing pop up is "just bulldoze it".
This is a bit of another reason the cities end up looking so artificial. In reality, terraforming is super expensive and usually not feasible.
You tend to have unlimited funds and power in these games.

In reality, you need to answer to historical societies, you cant just bulldoze a historical districts for hotels.
the EPA, you can't just bulldoze a bird sanctuary for a mall.
Finances, you can't just take money from education, and build a themepark because you feel like it.
You have to answer to voters, get elected, etc. you have thousands of self interested people building the city. not one unified vision.

want to build a more real city. roll a 20 die every time you want to build or tear something down. 10-20 go for it. 2-9 it fails to pass, try again next year. 1 critical failure. that spot is now a landmark as is, and can not be touched.