Cities: Skylines

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, they do kinda challenge you to ruin your city then recover from it to get the unlocks.

And a pic:

122k, I'm going to have nightmares about trains:
p1DTyMn.jpg
Yo What the FUCK. How do you keep up with shit throughout the city? I had like 10k people and I was going fucking insane having to bulldose houses, clear out garbage stations, build new things, etc.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I'm actually starting to think the game is a little too easy / lackign in depth. Not a problem given a cost and still think it's great value for money, but so far I haven't had too much trouble hitting 100k in my first two cities. The unlocks that are negative, like having crime rate over 50%, are troublesome but they feel more contrived then an actual challenge.

Of course the good news in their modding support so hopefully we see some new and interesting scenarios coming out.

oh, here's Batmania so far!:

rrr_img_92836.jpg

Tol_sl

shitlord
What could I be missing under "services" to level up my industrial buildings? They have police, fire, health, cemetary, landfills, schools (do I need these in industrial areas? I put all 3 there because I wasn't sure) and a shitload of parks. I think I've put every kind of building in range that I can and I still get the "needs access to services" message.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, traffic is probably the culprit

I'm starting to run into issues with dead bodies. I have crematoriums ALL over the city, like 15 of them, and theres still dead bodies everwhere and people bitching about it. Oddly enough, no other service has any issues, I have no complaints about garbage, no fire issues, nothing else.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oh I had that happen a few times before.

What happens is that some length of time after a huge population boom, everyone dies at once, and there just aren't enough trucks to handle it. Then people move out en-masse from dead bodies, and your population drops 20%. Then some length of time after that, people move back in... all at the same time, and then sometime after that, the mass dying starts again.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What could I be missing under "services" to level up my industrial buildings? They have police, fire, health, cemetary, landfills, schools (do I need these in industrial areas? I put all 3 there because I wasn't sure) and a shitload of parks. I think I've put every kind of building in range that I can and I still get the "needs access to services" message.
Public Transport? Put a subway stop or two in the area, do bus stops and routes through the area etc.

Not sure if things like the train depot/ship depot help industrial, upgrade wise, especially offices(since I don't think they import/export anything).

Tol_sl

shitlord
Public Transport? Put a subway stop or two in the area, do bus stops and routes through the area etc.
Got em all. Traffic might be the culprit, but it doesn't seem very backed up, it's well connected and I haven't had many issues with roads that I can tell. Like when I look at police/fire the streets are all green on coverage and I have the other services on the same road.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm actually starting to think the game is a little too easy / lackign in depth. Not a problem given a cost and still think it's great value for money, but so far I haven't had too much trouble hitting 100k in my first two cities. The unlocks that are negative, like having crime rate over 50%, are troublesome but they feel more contrived then an actual challenge.

Of course the good news in their modding support so hopefully we see some new and interesting scenarios coming out.

oh, here's Batmania so far!:

rrr_img_92836.jpg

Here's what bothers me about this. No city in the whole world looks like that. Not even close. It's basically the uncanny valley of cities. There are also no real problems. I want something that is ball breaking hard, that pulls you down and you still try to get ahead anyways, instead of this "problem is X, so apply solution Y" and it works.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Definitely needs more hobos under the highway overpasses to look like a real city

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This game would do well with some natural disaster stuff, I think. I always enjoyed nuking my cities in the original sim city games (especially SNES one!) with tornadoes and earthquakes and shit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No city in the whole world looks like that.
This is why I tried to make as 'organic' of a city as possible by not planning ahead too much and forcing myself to fill in the space provided. I refuse to bulldoze entire neighborhoods, but I will knock out a few buildings for an overpass if I have to.

Also you're wrong. Those empty cities the Chinese built do look a lot like those pics. :p

Caliane

Here's what bothers me about this. No city in the whole world looks like that. Not even close. It's basically the uncanny valley of cities. There are also no real problems. I want something that is ball breaking hard, that pulls you down and you still try to get ahead anyways, instead of this "problem is X, so apply solution Y" and it works.
Dubai.
Las Vegas 40 years ago.

Thats the problem with these city sims. as you can see. tight cities with giant tracks of grass/trees around it. Cities generally grow from natural progression of age old towns merging together.
IF you want natural cities, you need to have a timeline sim game, which starts 200 years ago or more, and makes you build near water, have waterwheels, roads/etc, as well as fields..

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The Anno games are kinda like that, but then they don't actually simulate the city part very much.

I have a feeling that with mods people will make some very difficult game types.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dubai.
Las Vegas 40 years ago.

Thats the problem with these city sims. as you can see. tight cities with giant tracks of grass/trees around it. Cities generally grow from natural progression of age old towns merging together.
IF you want natural cities, you need to have a timeline sim game, which starts 200 years ago or more, and makes you build near water, have waterwheels, roads/etc, as well as fields..
Those are deserts where you can't build any housing without serious infrastructure investments first
smile.png
We're looking at grass here, as you say yourself. If someone were to raise a city out of nothing, you'd see at least farmland in the unclaimed parts, houses and other stuff instead of just nothing.

Also you're wrong. Those empty cities the Chinese built do look a lot like those pics. :p
I don't see any smog
smile.png

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Those are deserts where you can't build any housing without serious infrastructure investments first
smile.png
We're looking at grass here, as you say yourself. If someone were to raise a city out of nothing, you'd see at least farmland in the unclaimed parts, houses and other stuff instead of just nothing.

I don't see any smog
smile.png
Neither do they, the cities are abandoned.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is there an optimal ratio of residential:industry:commercial? I keep zoning according to need which causes big blocks of industry/offices but I'd rather spread things out since concentrrated blocks make traffic.