Cities: Skylines

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Will people actually fill these jobs if they're asking for industry and you're only offering commercial?
Once you have a university you can transition away from dirty industry to offices. Offices employ fewer people per tile though, so you end up with a lot of them to satisfy demand.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Loving the game. Very relaxing so long as you aren't going balls-to-the-wall reactive the whole time.

Ways I've worked out the traffic + trash dilemma so far;

- Metro to connect neighborhoods / working spaces, bus stops near metro stations, moderately-sized routes with stops every 3-4 blocks
- Don't share stops for bus routes
- Don't zone on roundabouts
- Incinerators very close to highway on/off ramps
- Dedicated highway exits for each dense area > 5x5 blue squares, feed directly into roundabouts
- District policies: recycling (reduce trash and dumptruck traffic), pet ban (same but only use in emergency), smoke detectors (reduce fire truck traffic), recreational use (reduce police traffic)

Up to 13k right now building on an island uploaded by one of the early streamers, so space is limited and mountainous. Will do some uploads tonight.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't like some of the unlocks. Like to get a Fusion Generator, one requirement is a Observatory, which has a odd unlock of "1,000 abandoned buildings in city", and it must mean "at same time" cause the counter is at 0 for me, even though I have had them over time.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Expansion into new tile underway. I have enough money/income at this point that if I manage my neighborhoods I can probably grow this city indefinitely.

rrr_img_92626.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande
Up to 11,000 with a low density grid pattern:
Each square is 9x9 surrounded by the basic two way street. 25 of these are organised into a 5x5 giant grid, the central one has utilities needed and will later have possibly subway. In between each giant grid is a 6 wide strip which currently has commericial/offices but could be swapped for a big road. Only red traffic spot is one of my connecting freeways but doesn't seem that bad.

I have 9 of these so far, 6 Residential and 3 Industrial. Nearly fills one map zone so I'm about to build more residential next door, none of this spacing stuff out with roundabout shit, it's going right next to my existing stuff! I just need to think about if I should try high density out, what differences does it have? Thinking I'll need to wait until the subway is running.

Is this the game the last Sim City should've been?
Hell yes!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My current(first) city, going to keep playing it till I do something to kill it off.

rrr_img_92632.jpg

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have my first city up to 44k. I might try the hard mode for the my second city.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
It just blows my mind that an established city building franchise like Sim City couldn't get this shit right for so long. Fucking EA and their meddling bullshit.

People want to build cities in offline peace. This game's resounding success is a testament to that fact.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I certainly would enjoy this game having online features and city-to-city trading.

What I like about this game is that it's hard but not too hard, and very well paced for a simulation.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I first I was "WTF" on unlocking features, but having played it it feels really good to get to the next city level and not be able to cheat out an optimal design right away. It's more of a game as well as being the same quality Sim City simulation.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I might just start calling this Simcity: Skylines since this is Simcitys true spiritual successor and just pretend that, that EA abomination never happened. Anyone else notice you can create an asset and then use it in game? Like have a favorite highway/interchange pattern you want to use? Make it an asset and then you can simply click it and build it in game (unlocks like normal and costs the same as it normally would so it is still balanced)

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't quite understand how dams work. I build it properly, says it will give me 16 mw. It does at first. Then I check it again, it's at 0. Then back to 16. I have no use for dams that won't continuously produce electricity...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If it's not producing 64+ it's not worth building a hydro dam. It will fluctuate to 0 too often based on the tides.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You should go from coal to oil to solar to nuclear. The hydro is stupid, fucking flooded my city and I hadn't saved for an hour.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
2tkR9oY.jpg

That's my best attempt at a 44k densely packed city so far.

I think I sorta 'solved' traffic. If you just watch the traffic on a road and the traffic is really only going in one direction anyway, switch it to a 1-way road. Trying to actually plan everything out ahead of time doesn't seem to work, because you need to take into account fire engines and garbage trucks and hearses, not just people getting back and forth to work.

On the bottom you can see my very 'intredasting' way of getting traffic on and off the highway, but it seems to work okay so far.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
My hub and spoke model is working pretty well. No major traffic problems whatsoever and the only public transport I have is metro stations. I did add an airport and cruise ship terminal and am starting to get some of the tourist attractions.

rrr_img_92658.jpg