Cities: Skylines

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's important to have the outflow from the waste facility be far away from the input of the water pump. Super important. But yea the pipes are universal.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
What sort of neighborhood structures are you guys using? Going from the highway to each neighborhood, there are various interchanges with the highways. How do you efficiently go from 3-lane highway to 3-lane avenue? There's no 3-lane one-way road. The off ramps are 1 lane.

What sort of road structures are you using for the local neighborhoods off of the highway interchanges?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here's where I'm at so far. Having some good luck managing traffic with the roundabouts and hub/spoke design, but my city isn't that big yet. Letting it sprawl rather than trying to make it super dense.

rrr_img_92557.jpg
hnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg stoooppp distracting me from archeage!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Oh hell, really? From the descriptions on the water pump facility and sewer waste facility, it sounds like you want to place them far away from each other and not mix the waste, I thought you had to run 2 completely separate piping systems. It was costing me a damn fortune, no wonder I was going broke so fast in all of my towns, lol.
Yeah you need to keep the intake up stream from the outflow pipe so you arent drinking shit water, but the pipes carry everything.

My "oh dammit" moment of learning was when I realized I didnt need power lines everywhere if things were contiguous, just to connect pockets of places with one another.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
How's performance for everyone? Part of the reason I didn't play much last night was the game kind chugging at full screen at 2560x1440 w/ a GTX 670 and an i7 920. Dropped to 1080p windows and it was a bit more playable. Probably tinker with settings a bit more to get it smoother, move it to the SSD maybe, update some video drivers or something.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How do you put landfills into empty mode? The manual says you can, but not how.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think you have to have somewhere else for the fill to go - I haven't done it myself but I think I saw a streamer do that. Built a dump elsewhere, then the old one "empties" into the new one and stays empty until you turn it back on.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
How do you put landfills into empty mode? The manual says you can, but not how.
Best way to go about this is to build landfills as you need until you can build incinerators, then empty landfills 1 at a time (click and look for the button) to clear up the space.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, traffic is driving me nuts aswell. My highway connects into a six lane oneway street leading into the industry district. Absolutely everyone is sitting on the left lane, nobody ever uses the rest of street. It's so backed up, there's industry closing down already because they're not getting their resources.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
High density = more traffic, so until you have lots of public transport or infrastructure to handle it, high density is dangerous.

Regarding traffic... it's usually caused by the destinations or follow-ups to the clogged up road. If they're all in one lane that means the roads they're trying to get to need to be revamped probably.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Got my city up to 110k and mostly stable, but then I started dicking with the tax rates to unlock some achievements.
Aparently people don't like 15% and pretty much everyone deserted my city, leaving it a financial ruin that even detroit would feel sorry for.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Got up to 2k people then got to the point were my income wasn't enough to do much more, next try should be better.

Optimal grid patterns?
1) Size: I'm wondering if I should have 9x9 grids so I can fit a park into one of them, what is the largest size needed for buildings? Alternativly I could do 17x17 and fit parks in the middle of my residential.
2) Ratio: I had 16:3:5 Residential:Commercial:Industrial and demand was roughly equal.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Got my city up to 110k and mostly stable, but then I started dicking with the tax rates to unlock some achievements.
Aparently people don't like 15% and pretty much everyone deserted my city, leaving it a financial ruin that even detroit would feel sorry for.
110k? Damn. Everything started getting unwieldy after 40k for me.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Got up to 2k people then got to the point were my income wasn't enough to do much more, next try should be better.

Optimal grid patterns?
1) Size: I'm wondering if I should have 9x9 grids so I can fit a park into one of them, what is the largest size needed for buildings? Alternativly I could do 17x17 and fit parks in the middle of my residential.
2) Ratio: I had 16:3:5 Residential:Commercial:Industrial and demand was roughly equal.
I'm not even sure grids are good. 4-way intersections are a bitch on traffic.