City of Heroes has actually been online for years....

iannis

Musty Nester
The only consequence is to that guy who took the money and apparently lied about getting permission to run an emu years ago.

I'm not blaming ncsoft for this one. He was stealing.

I blame them for not opening an official server and taking my five dollars a month. I blame them plenty for that. Buttheads, you even have a team that would do it for free and give you your tithe.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh jesus, this isn't even ncsoft.

This is retarded mud sysop drama.

You pathetic sychophants.

• 2Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It got really grindy I recall and if not specced right, it was pretty tedious.

I had a technology blaster because I liked gadgets. My hero had a gas mask, fedora, and wife beater shirt on. My friends thought my hero looked dumb, but I didn’t want to admit it. This was pre “mlady” meme. I later made him look like a 5th Column cyborg thing.

I think they made a mistake of making leveling too much like eq1 where you hit like level 30 and it was just a wall for a lot of builds where it just was not that fun to try to push to max level than it was to fire up random alts to try different builds with. Their model was almost always favoring lots of alts so they should have had the leveling curve a LOT faster and less punishing.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
NCSoft are shitbags who give 0 fucks about Western IPs, so they probably were warming up the lawsuit cannons the second this was leaked.

Secret shit is secret for a reason usually, especially when it can have major consequences.

This is what's annoying about the whole thing. People are trying to use the IP legitly, and making their own stuff for it, and trying to get NCSoft permission etc and they don't budge on it, yet they don't seem to want to do anything with the IP.

fucking thing sucks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I'd kill for a private sandbox emu of this just to sandbox and fuck around solo. I can't even explain why I couldn't get the same enjoyment out of DC or Champions, CoH was pure casual MMO fun that I never had to take seriously at all, but still had the MMO "carrot" to progress.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'd kill for a private sandbox emu of this just to sandbox and fuck around solo. I can't even explain why I couldn't get the same enjoyment out of DC or Champions, CoH was pure casual MMO fun that I never had to take seriously at all, but still had the MMO "carrot" to progress.

I think thats the thing. Like, no kidding the game "sucks" overall, but at the time it was the only one where the player really overpowered the world, and it was super casual and just the right grinding. Plus, at high level, was super ez to level with just a fire farm.

I really miss that game. Damn man.

• 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The game was fun, but man it got super repetitive. More than almost all other MMO's out there.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How could luring hobos and/or werewolves into flaming dumpsters get repetitive?

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Loved CoH, played the op Regen/Claws scrapper until Regen was nerfed. Came back with CoV and played an Energy/Energy Brawler. So. Much. Fun.

Maybe it will come back.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
The server might not be dead?

MMORPG Update # 4 said:
As of now, we are running on the assumption that there is no DMCA. We have a drive that we are currently verifying on if it's the server binaries. As it stands, it has everything. There has been some fuckups that lead to mass server panic, and an emergency administration and codemod meeting has been called.

We may very well be able to salvage this situation before the next sunset. No promises. Do not hold this against me. We have a gameplan. It depends on verifying this code right now. Once it is achieved, we are pushing to get a server back up immediately. The original goal of the server has been to get a stable i24 for distribution and by the Well of the Furies we will get it. This chaos was unprofessional on my part (partly from my inexperience), and triggers were being pulled before we even had the horses at the races.

• 3Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Surprising exactly no one:

Trannies attempted a coup and ruined it. And the neurotic argentinian just wants to play god on a private server.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I was watching this. Pretty much generic emu bullshit happened:

Guy freaks out because he orders $2500 worth of servers and shuts everything down under a fake legal threat, surprising absolutely no one who has ever played on an EQEmu server.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Surprising exactly no one:

Trannies attempted a coup and ruined it. And the neurotic argentinian just wants to play god on a private server.

Are there really trannies involved? Fucking hell they really over represent with internet drama.

• 3Like

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I remember that game being very fun, played it for something like 2 years. SS/inv tanker, MA/reflex scrapper and ice/fire blaster were my chars, later I made an inv/SS brute in CoV.
City of Heroes, Earth&Beyond, and WoW vanilla, most fun I ever had in MMOs.

• 1Like

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Server is up again supposedly.

~3100 people online

Last edited:
  • 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
freem

It's up, relatively stable. Will be wiped in some days.

I saw a guy named "The Bern" sitting outside Atlas protesting.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Gonna screw around on this just to say I got to play it one time

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I downloaded the server insurance files for i25 (the ones available to the world) and yes, it looks like there was a legit leak from NCSoft, because most of the core data files on the server are dated before the server closed down (8/31/2012), even the EULA files, etc etc. These are certainly the legit files, or at least on first appearance.

So this server isn't just a typical homebrew from scratch, there was most definitely some kind of leak out there. The server was officially closed aug 31 2012, but most of the server files and stuff are before that.

The readme in this archive says:

PS: There is a full source tree for the game out there somewhere; source, data, assets, everything. Please, if you have this data, share it with the world. Leandro might have had good intentions, but he was mistaken when he thought "keep it secret, keep it safe." To keep this game safe, we have to give it to the world.

• 3Like

Cybsled

My low level noob hero still lives in there I guess if they have the character data. I think I only got to around 30 before I quit the game.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
They just brought two more servers online to handle the influx of people. Atlas park has folks all over the place.

Last edited:
  • 2Like