Civil War (2024)

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
TL;DR movie and director took the cowards way out and barely alluded to the current national divide.

Alex Garland is Engiish and I assume had no desire to actually tell a story of American politics, the US is just the only country on Earth this movie could be set in.

The movie isn't entirely apolitical, its just the two political stances it takes are:

1. Journalists are important and should be indifferent and impartial, their pictures should tell the story without commentary.
2. War is bad.

If there is a third stance it takes it would probably be "Fascist Leaders end up dead", and I dont mean lower case fascists that the American left and right like to call each other, I mean capital F fascist, cause it is pretty heavily eluded to that the president did not get his 3rd term exactly democratically.

The only time the soldiers we see are explicitly identified is the final sequence where they follow the Western Forces.

If you liked Alex Garland's other movies, I would imagine you would enjoy this, you just need to know it is not about America. its about War Journalists. And written by an Englishman.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Went and saw this in Denver. I wasn't shot and it wasn't good. Wasn't terrible either its just doesn't really do or say anything and the ending is ridiculous.

Movie hardly mentions anything about the actual War, it's just about women being stupid and getting themselves in danger. It pains me to sound like all you right wing regards on this website.
Yet here we are.
TL;DR movie and director took the cowards way out and barely alluded to the current national divide.

Thanks for the take I'll toss in in the bin with your others like "Dune 2 is dumb" and "Crystal Skull is good"

This film was fine I liked it a good amount, Angerz has the correct take. This isn't about Trump, Biden, "current national divide" (hurr durr), but why would it be? This movie seems specifically designed to piss off both extremes so good for it in that it succeeded (go look at Reddit lol). A real Fascist took the country over and made it a dystopian nightmare so more then half the states said fuck this (well maybe all the states, its implied the "government" brought many to heel but its done with propaganda so dunno). Why Cali and Texas are together is not explained explicitly but it didn't need to be. They took up together to pool resources of two of the biggest economic drivers of the USA and drove a real Fascist out of the White House to maybe save the Republic.

But yea, the real story is how actual journalists are important not the talking heads on CNN, Fox, Newsmax, etc and how war journalism needs to be done without editorial or opinion. If the pictures are horrible then its horrible not "well its okay cause its blank side"

Third act was good action, the film is well shot, sound design is on point, and the entire film is tense. Noticeable lack or drone warfare but drones are not as flashy as F-35's and F-22's. Plemmons had the best scene by far, but everyone does a good job.

7ish/10

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed the movie. Very somber but worth a watch. There was nothing here to glorify a civil war. As someone else said (here?) it was shot how I would have expected a (real) movie/series of World War Z to have been. That said, I didn't find this apolitical at all. The president of the US was on his 3rd term, disbanded the FBI and had journalists shot on sight. Sound like anyone leftists created in their head? And who got the kill shot on said president? A black female. Just a bit too on the nose for me 🤷‍♂️

7/10 sounds right to me. Only thing I disliked were the music scenes. They didn't work.

Not sure I'd rush out to the theaters to watch, but certainly when it hits Prime/Netflix/whatever.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This movie was just more woke propaganda masquerading as a journalist road trip movie.

Painfully obvious the president was Trump and the Boogaloo boys scene as well. This movie wasn't good, however, it did a good job depicting the depravity of journalists and their vulture-like mentality. Other than that, the director skirted the issue and the ending quote... fucking dumb... I don't know why the Leftist cult is freaking out about this movie. It literally caters to their bullshit.

• 1Great Review
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I did forget about that Boogaloo boys scene. Very obvious who they were referring to.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Some decent action scenes but movie was super disjointed and didn’t really tell a story.

very clear president was meant to be Trump and the last 30 minutes was for leftists to jerk off too.

and of course it was a black woman who kills him

• 1Barf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Some decent action scenes but movie was super disjointed and didn’t really tell a story.

very clear president was meant to be Trump and the last 30 minutes was for leftists to jerk off too.

and of course it was a black woman who kills him
Well thanks gentlemen, I think you saved me a couple of hours that I could actually just go out and fish instead.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Fishing is the better choice for sure.
Proud The Karate Kid GIF

• 1Worf

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
"Civil War is a movie I could best describe as a luxury sports car with no driver and no engine.... It's a movie that says nothing, does nothing, and ultimately accomplishes nothing."

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
Went and saw this in Denver. I wasn't shot and it wasn't good. Wasn't terrible either its just doesn't really do or say anything and the ending is ridiculous.

Movie hardly mentions anything about the actual War, it's just about women being stupid and getting themselves in danger. It pains me to sound like all you right wing regards on this website.
Yet here we are.
why do you hate women? Biggot.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yall overestimate the resolve of the Rural American.. In a vaccuum they would fare well. The problem is the locusts will finish off the collapse and the only outcome is the complete death of all americans becasue the Jungle pack will overhwlem anyone who could help rebuild., then starve to death.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

Yet here we are.

Translation: My name is hootie and im a tranny sucking faggot, and im big mads that the movie all the "Right wing Morons" said would just be crappy drivel was just that and it wasnt a story of me and mt antifa fag friends saving the day against EVIL DRUMPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• 1Salty