Civilization - Beyond Earth (Alpha Centauri Sequel)

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Civ 5 was great. It cured me of my 15+ year off and on addiction to Civ games. I actually had more fun and spent more time playing CivWorld on Facebook than I did playing Civ 5. And that's not an endorsement of CivWorld, it's just an illustration of how disappointing Civ 5 was.

Regardless, I'll likely try this out shortly after release. Even if the engine is based off Civ 5, the game itself should have very different mechanics so there's a good chance this can still be fun.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Honestly my complaint with Civ5 is no MP mods. It makes no sense to me. They have some seriously fucked up code if they can't allow two players with the exact same mods to play in a game together.

iannis

Musty Nester
LOL

I wonder how much it cost them to use that song. At first I was like "oh. oh no.", but it only takes about 30 seconds to really get into it.

Well played, Firaxis. Well played.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Honestly my complaint with Civ5 is no MP mods. It makes no sense to me. They have some seriously fucked up code if they can't allow two players with the exact same mods to play in a game together.
You can do that now with a tool that someone put out. . .

Mythas 5thboardnow

So I have like one game into Civ 5, hell its not even done yet. Never been a big civ player. I think i have up to Gods and Kings, can anyone describe to a civ noob why i should buy four over getting BnW for 5?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, I'll jump on the CivV hate bandwagon too. Civ4 was simply superior in so many ways, but what gave it such longevity for me (and causes me to still play it on occasion) are both the modability and the plethora of options. The favorite of them were the Always War and Always Peace options. I still have fond memories of the conquest victory I managed to achieve with the Always Peace option active. Cultural city flipping 4tw!

As for this game, well, I loved AC. I'd almost say it was better than Civ2 (almost). And the modable units were ingenious. If they said they were just doing a redo of AC I'd have been happy, but the fact that they stress this is NOT AC2 leaves me a bit worried. Still, I'll prolly buy this during a Steam sale, unless the verdict is that it's shit.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can do that now with a tool that someone put out. . .
I see! I swear I checked again not that long ago. Great though. Now just need to find time to play again with my bro
tongue.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
When haven't any of these games had AI issues. From Civilization (And all it's versions) to the Total War series. There isn't anything that ever goes right with the AI (Unless something is modded). I loved Civ 1. Played Civ 5 and didn't find anything wrong with it either. The only one I had a problem with was when I would steamroll tanks into a city and they would be beaten by Phalanx or something because they were parked behind city walls. (I think that was Civ 2, or 3 - it was ridiculous)

At any rate, this is a reskin/tile and it should be about 10 bucks.

Pharazon

The only one I had a problem with was when I would steamroll tanks into a city and they would be beaten by Phalanx or something because they were parked behind city walls. (I think that was Civ 2, or 3 - it was ridiculous)
Probably Civ 1. In Civ 1 the units had no "hit points" which I believe were added in Civ 2, so in 1 it was an all or nothing roll of who won the fight. A normal tank's attack str was 10, where as a veteran Phalanx had 2 * (0.5 veteran bonus) * (3 city walls bonus) = 9 defense str. So for a normal tank it was 10 vs. 9 or pretty much even, for a veteran tank it was 15 vs. 9 which were good odds but still not a gimme and one bad roll could do you in.

Yes, I know I played Civ 1 too much when I still remember these details 20 years later.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
^^ That must have been it then. I remember getting all cocky. Patton Vs the Romans. And... welp.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Reviews are dropping. Sounds like an adequate entry into the CIV series, but nothing truly special.

IGN: 7.9
Gamespot: 7.0

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Many of the other reviews are 9+ so there seems to be a disconnect between those that think this is a strong title that builds on the Civ premise and those that see it as an also-ran.

iannis

Musty Nester
It seems far too early to really say. You sort of need a week to decide if a civ iteration is any good.

Unless it is immediately, obviously, not.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Many of the other reviews are 9+ so there seems to be a disconnect between those that think this is a strong title that builds on the Civ premise and those that see it as an also-ran.
I've got a feeling that the people that are going to downvote it were likely huge fans of the Fall from Heaven (or whatever the name were) mods that have been blasting every Civ thing since as not being as innovative as that line of mods. (Which were exceptional)

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
My main fear with this title is that it's basically a re-skin of the shitty parts of Civ5 with some small feature changes. If so, it's going to be bad.

They really need to support multiplayer more than they did in Civ5. It was just completely awful how much of a step back they took from Civ4 with things like drawing lines, pinging, setting labels, etc. Not to mention the lack of mod support for MP - as stated above, Civ4 with expansions was great, but what made Civ4 one of the best games were the mods that supported it, like Fall from Heaven and kMod

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I get the feeling some are going to downvote because it's not more a 'true' sequel to AC than anything else. Joystiq review mentions it feels more of a Civ 5 expansion then anything else.

Joystick is also retarded because the only things that carry over from Civ 5 are the graphics, the 1upt system and some UI elements
Affinities and the tech web as well as you being able to choose the starting boni give you much more customization options than what was possible in Civ 5 or any other Civ game before that
then theres satellites with which you can influence the landscape around you ie removing or spawning Miasma, giving boni to tiles or even spawning resources with a low %
espionage is closer to Civ 4, you can choose missions for your agents to steal energy (=money), steal tech beakers, incite a revolution or even setup a dirty bomb
Affinities are a bit like ideologies but you aren't locked into them, you can grab boni from other Affinities if you like
and then you have random missions with rewards that will either push you further into one affinity or unlock some new stuff for already researched/build units and structures, ie the Ultrasonic Fence unlocks a choice between increasing the fences radius of effect or give your trade units basically immunity to the aliens

there are some negatives such as wonders being less effective than in other Civ games, the AI is still dumb when it comes to naval battles (they only upgraded the AI for land and air battles it seems) and diplomacy feels a bit lacking
MP is there but without mods

if youre unsure if you like this one or not check out streamers when they start up, especiallyMaddjinis good at breaking any kind of Civ game over his knees while explaining very well what and why he is doing it in a particular way