Civilization - Beyond Earth (Alpha Centauri Sequel)

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like this game is going to be awesome when its fully released in 18 months, I can't wait.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The multiplayer is just as ass as regular BNW. We've played the first game with just three, and it takes forever between turns. We had to restart the session twice now too, barely 130 turns in after 4 hours.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
The multiplayer is just as ass as regular BNW. We've played the first game with just three, and it takes forever between turns. We had to restart the session twice now too, barely 130 turns in after 4 hours.
Opposite for me and 2 friends today about 300+ turns in about 3 hours. Had one crash during that time period though.

BNW was terrible inbetween turns.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well I just played my first game of this on whatever hard setting was called this time and it was a snooze as far as challenge goes. The gameplay was engaging enough as like in Civ there is usually something to build or look at most of the time but I never felt compelled to do anything in response to an AI from beginning to end save for one random non AI station that I killed for blocking a city location I wanted. It all amounted to busy work while I waited for the most boring victory condition (Contact) to complete; you build two buildings after digging up two locations then you wait an unspecified time for the device to phone home... no interaction of any sort beyond that; it randomly decides when it's done and then it's GG. The only challenge this victory presents is that it cuts off all of your accumulating energy income but by that point in the game you really shouldn't need to be buying anything anyhow.

Combat was actually worse than in Civ V; I was declared on once out of the blue near the tail end of the game by a guy I traded with quite a bit and never bothered at all (nothing new I know) but he didn't stand a chance as he funneled all of his units into a hilly death trap and sent his artillery around it to be picked off one by one. He built one or two planes that died to interception instantly, had no trump card (no WMD's as far as I know of) and his cities fell in 3 turns to 1 melee and one ranged infantry (not artillery) unit. That's right late game 14+ pop cities falling in a couple of turns to a robot and a glorified archer
rolleyes.png
. He also had inferior military tech by a few levels which is odd considering I didn't try too hard to navigate the tech web optimally and often went for wonders and dabbled in other affinities. Anyhow I've watched some "Immoral" setting games that were similarly easy; no AI hordes hemming you into a pen in the first few turns like in Civ V and a general lack of aggression and competence when following victory conditions.

Bottom line is the game is inferior to Civ in content, theme and challenge at the moment.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
So it's kind of wierd to me that harmony never makes it so aliens like you or don't attack you. I was 12+ deep in harmony and aliens still attacked my guys and didn't give two shits.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Opposite for me and 2 friends today about 300+ turns in about 3 hours. Had one crash during that time period though.

BNW was terrible inbetween turns.
yeah it's obviously dumb luck if someone just gets dropped during a turn, but it still happens.

I now wanted to post about my biggest gripe, with a screenshot about the "MODS" section still only showing single player but I got invited to another MP game before I even made it that far :/

is this still the case?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
AC wasn'tcompletelynew. It was still an iteration on civ. Maybe half of AC was new. AC was great but it was still basically civ 2.5. MoM was like civ 1.5 I think!

Anyone have that endless legends? How does it stack up against Civ5?
While that may be true, AC had personality and felt unique and I'm hearing this doesn't. There was some great voice over lines 'Einstien must be rolling in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.' Chairman Yang.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Definitely feels like a reskinned Civ 5. It's better than Civ 5, but not substantially different.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I'm enjoying it... prolly more because I skipped the last 2 civ5 xpacs. I'm terrible I know.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Regreting the pre order big time
frown.png
Everything has been said here along the lines of being a civ 5 reskin. AI is what kills it for me, I had foolishly hoped the AI would not be as horrendous as civ5, sadly its even worse especialy if you've been playing CK2 or EU4 the past year...

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Brael, a Shadow Knight of EverQuest fame always posts on another board that I'm a part of. He's been doing lots of multi player civ 5, and definitely has some issues with it. Here is his post:
Brael_sl said:
I haven't played a full game yet, doing multiplayer with a friend of mine. The game has a lot of the same flaws that are in civ 5 and in many ways just feels like a reskin. In other ways the game is just a massive disappointment like the diplomacy and alien mechanics. The diplomacy is especially bad and makes civ 5's look good.

There are a few things in the game that were done better such as the tech tree which took a neat approach that I could see being the standard in strategy games in the future. Overall Civ 4 is still the best, and it's not close. Civ 4 is a 10/10 game, Civ 5 is about 3/10, Beyond Earth is a 2/10.
That post doesn't mean much to me because I'm not playing Civ, but I'm sure some of you are experiencing his frustrations.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
They need a way to automate your trade routes so you can just have it keep renewing the same trade route every time automatically instead of having to micromanage them nonstop.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Brael, a Shadow Knight of EverQuest fame always posts on another board that I'm a part of. He's been doing lots of multi player civ 5, and definitely has some issues with it. Here is his post:

That post doesn't mean much to me because I'm not playing Civ, but I'm sure some of you are experiencing his frustrations.
Can understand his dislikes but I will always feel like civ 4 was subpar as fuck.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Civ IV with expansions is my favorite iteration.
Haven't tried Beyond Earth - waiting for expansions. Hate that they now design their games this way.