Civilization - Beyond Earth (Alpha Centauri Sequel)

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's a sci-fi concept that doesn't even take advantage of its sci-fi elements. It's Civ V: Magic Tech Remix.
Yeah... we have mastered interstellar and possibly inter dimensional travel (gates) and yet we cannot visit outer space, span a chasm or even build a rudimentary tunnel. They should have themed the game around a group of marooned castoffs or escaped prisoners; at least then it would be somewhat plausible that the game plays like sci fi lite Earth with weird pets and robots on miasma world.

faille

Molten Core Raider
How shit are the endings?
A flash screen showing that you won?

One of the things I've always loved about the Sid games is how they ended with a high score, even though scores were pretty iffy, with detailed stats on how the match went, etc.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How shit are the endings?
A flash screen showing that you won?

One of the things I've always loved about the Sid games is how they ended with a high score, even though scores were pretty iffy, with detailed stats on how the match went, etc.
Yes, just like Civ 5, minus the replay and minus the voiceover for the flavor text.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have 1200 hours on Civ 5 and this shit still sucks.
yup, I'm disappointed myself. Battlesuit rush in 80 turns is absurd. Walking over 18 STR Armor with 40 STRultramarine copies, and all you need is ONE free affinity from Progenitor Ruins. - if you don't find that, you need to research another leaf tech: Genetic Mapping - that will delay you just ~10 turns though. That however can mean the difference of already having battlesuits in your base, killing your shit when you finally unlock purity4, and then it's too late.

If I were to perform this rush every single game, I bet none of my friends would play with me again unless I agreed not to do it, because it makes games rather 1-sided..

but if you didn't even enjoy Civ 5, stay away from BE.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
yup, I'm disappointed myself. Battlesuit rush in 80 turns is absurd. Walking over 18 STR Armor with 40 STRultramarine copies, and all you need is ONE free affinity from Progenitor Ruins. - if you don't find that, you need to research another leaf tech: Genetic Mapping - that will delay you just ~10 turns though. That however can mean the difference of already having battlesuits in your base, killing your shit when you finally unlock purity4, and then it's too late.

If I were to perform this rush every single game, I bet none of my friends would play with me again unless I agreed not to do it, because it makes games rather 1-sided..

but if you didn't even enjoy Civ 5, stay away from BE.
This is the problem. Too many "exploits" and paths that are absurdly powerful, and dumb AI. The dumb AI being the big one for me.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't want to sound like a dick but... did none of you learn from Civ 5? Why would you give them more money?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I don't consider any game "finished" anymore when it ships, I bought this early and regret doing so, need to let the inevitable patching process try and fix the game before I can even have an opinion, which is what I find myself saying on alot of games.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I don't want to sound like a dick but... did none of you learn from Civ 5? Why would you give them more money?
I personally love Civ 5. No issues with it whatsoever is my reasoning. I don't mind bugs in this sort of game...Hell I expect it this day and age. But these are straight design issues from them trying to reinvent the damn wheel.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I enjoyed Civ 5 which sits as #3 on my played time list on steam at 361 hours, I'm at 27 hrs on BE and I really have no further desire to play it, maybe after a few patches I'll try it again but its doubtful. I'd stay away if you haven't pulled the trigger or maybe wait to pick it up for $6 on sale in the not too distant future.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think it will ever go that cheap, not even vanilla Civ5 is that cheap today. But you'll be far better off getting a value pack with all DLCs and the first addon in a year or so for $50.

This fucking starbase shit is starting to piss me off.

rrr_img_80366.jpg

107 turn victory on highest difficulty - how to :

rrr_img_80371.jpg

Nester

Vyemm Raider
The Civ4 is my highest playtime game outside of mmo's. I loved C5.

I regret preordering this even thought i got it on GMG sale.

Don't spend more than $15 on this and only if you are a huge civ fan.....

Just checked i am 611 hours in Civ 5....JESUS.

I would rather play Civ5 than this.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
So, Civ 5's DLCs -

I own Civ5, but never got either of the expansions. I'm now seeing that they're 30 bucks a piece, vs 50 bucks for the entire package (obviously if I want both, I'll just buy the complete edition).

Are both expansions worth getting? Or should I save 20 bucks and just get one or the other? 20 bucks isn't a big deal to me, I just want to know if they're both actually worthwhile or not.

And very glad I checked here - nearly bought Beyond Earth on launch day. Will wait for it to be cheaper.

Thanks!

faille

Molten Core Raider
If they could some how add hex tiles to Civ4, it would be just about perfect for me.
It is the only thing that civ5 does better imo.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So we can go back toculture bombingeveryone into oblivion? Civ 4 had its problems too.

Then again, given the current state of society, I'm pretty sure culture bombs are how the world will end.

axeman_sl

shitlord
So, Civ 5's DLCs -

I own Civ5, but never got either of the expansions. I'm now seeing that they're 30 bucks a piece, vs 50 bucks for the entire package (obviously if I want both, I'll just buy the complete edition).

Are both expansions worth getting? Or should I save 20 bucks and just get one or the other? 20 bucks isn't a big deal to me, I just want to know if they're both actually worthwhile or not.

And very glad I checked here - nearly bought Beyond Earth on launch day. Will wait for it to be cheaper.

Thanks!
Just get Brave New World. It's the latest one and has all the important changes. The middle one (Kings and Gods or whatever) would just provide the campaign if you already have BNW.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
If they could some how add hex tiles to Civ4, it would be just about perfect for me.
It is the only thing that civ5 does better imo.
Yep. Civ4 was way better than civ5. BE is worse than Civ5 - I can't believe how much of a step back this is. Firaxis used to be my favorite dev, however I think Paradox has eclipsed them at this point

Rime

<Donor>
Yep. Civ4 was way better than civ5. BE is worse than Civ5 - I can't believe how much of a step back this is. Firaxis used to be my favorite dev, however I think Paradox has eclipsed them at this point
Never buy a modern Civ game until the first or second expansion package comes out at this point.

They cut so much from the games and then add them in later.