Civilization - Beyond Earth (Alpha Centauri Sequel)

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I keep intending to write posts blasting it, but I have enjoyed my first couple of games. There is a ton of good here, but it never comes together and it probably won't take long for the shine to come off. I have played a fair amount of it, though, for what it's worth. If you loved Civ 5, you might like this.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If this game had the AC voiceovers and factions, it would be awesome. It doesn't, and just feels bland.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I kinda liked some parts of Civ 5. I think they could have remade SMAC with the new combat mechanics and a few other Civ 5 features, but kept all the old flavor stuff, and it would have been actually fun.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I saw this on Steam and I've been looking for a new game to try out but this thread put the kibosh on my wasting money on it right now.

Rime

<Donor>
Beyond Earth will be a sure buy in the 2015 Steam Christmas sale! When they have added(milked out) DLC.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They need a way to automate your trade routes so you can just have it keep renewing the same trade route every time automatically instead of having to micromanage them nonstop.
At the very fucking least have a huge box on the right side of the screen that goes "LAST ROUTE AGAIN OK" with no double-questioning if I'm sure.

I like how promotions are now capped at level 4 and all you get is +40% strength.

The promotion system of BNW was so bloated and silly, it made a lot of sense to exploit it with a city state, grinding exp on it for the entire game because melee units with Drill 3, medic 2 and march are absurdly hard to kill compared to a stock drill 2 unit, while ranged units with range and logistics are just absurd. Such OP units did not fit with 1UPT.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Again, I feel a design flaw from previous Civs is present here. When you place a new city at turn 800, it has to go through all the development of infrastructure, which by then is like 100 buildings, sorted poorly. Newer buildings should overwrite older buildings so when you build a monument at turn 1, a temple at turn 100, a museum at turn 500, etc. you're good. Have cities auto-start with old buildings when you reach the ability to build something two steps along that chain.

This with the trade management makes the late game incredibly TEDIOUS. As you evolve from settler to state to empire, little shit should fall away as you face more significant challenges to your society.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Again, I feel a design flaw from previous Civs is present here. When you place a new city at turn 800, it has to go through all the development of infrastructure, which by then is like 100 buildings, sorted poorly. Newer buildings should overwrite older buildings so when you build a monument at turn 1, a temple at turn 100, a museum at turn 500, etc. you're good. Have cities auto-start with old buildings when you reach the ability to build something two steps along that chain.

This with the trade management makes the late game incredibly TEDIOUS. As you evolve from settler to state to empire, little shit should fall away as you face more significant challenges to your society.
I like this, it will never happen though

Beyond Earth will be a sure buy in the 2015 Steam Christmas sale! When they have added(milked out) DLC.
After reading all of the reviews, im with you. I'll buy this for a discount + DLCs after everyone post-beta tests it for me.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This is something that can be modded, but since you have to MP this game, no mods. Fucking assholes. What's the point of a standardized steam workshop when it's excluded from MP?
I'm with you, I don't understand why we can't have modded multiplayer.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
If this game did not have the CIV name it would be absolute junk. Its horribly bland, vannila. I have not been challenged a bit and I am on 2nd hardest level. AI once again shit for a CIV game.

The lack of wonders makes the game worse than CIV.. I would rather just go back to CIV V or something. What a waste of 50 bucks... Never buy games at release anymore !!!! sheesh !

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
I like how my *melee* units blast the fuck out of every aircraft that attacks them. Despite all the complaints and issues, I am really enjoying it.

It's still got the same exact problem civ 5 had for me though in that I find the beginning and mid game interesting and fun but once end game rolls around I just lose interest and never bother to finish a victory.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
EU4 just does so many aspects of strategy more intelligently. I think this is a step forward, but Civ is still too light and abstract for my tastes. They go for the "game" aspect really hard, but don't actually design it as well as I'd like that more generic experience to be designed.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
The AI is so WTF stupid. I had one of my cities surrounded by a mix of marines and Armor and i fought him off with 1 plane and the city bombardment, he never moved closer than 2 squares away and i pounded his face.

Just horrible, these games that release in such shit state are returning it seems.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
I like it when the enemy has a shit ton of territory with their cities and hardly any tile improvements. I just took a guys capital that was huge in the tile department and he only had like 10 tile improvements on it with over half the resources not having anything built on them.