Civilization VI

Haka

N00b
I have about 500 hours in Civ5 and have been playing the Civs since I was a kid. I'll be pre-ordering this one.

That being said I can fully agree that vanilla Civ5 was bad. The original developer was canned and then later gave a pretty candid interview where he admitted he made a lot of poor decisions. If I recall, the guy from Civ4 came in and did the following expansions. I'm hoping it's that guy who's heading up this iteration of the game too. I wish I could find the article that talks about this.

As for that screenshot, it looks a bit too cartoony for my tastes, I'm hoping they make it look better. For all its faults, Civ5 has a bit of a timeless feel, even for a game that came out in 2010.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Civilization 1 was great.
Civilization 2 even better.
Civilization 3 was amazing.
Civilization 4 was arguably the best.
Civilization 5 was shit.
Civilization 6 looks like it's going to be shit judging from the screenshot.

I guess we can always get out fix playing other games from indies or other developers.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Video games are the medium in which sequels are supposed to surpass their predecessors, but Civ hasn't fared too well. The release products are so shallow, after about 2 games and you are sick of it. The expansions are essential and feel more and more like release content withheld to bilk more money out of their players. I will let the reviews come out before I buy.

Haka

N00b
In previous iterations of the series, certain systems were left out of the initial release, which were then added in through subsequent expansions. Beach told us, however, that all of the major systems - including espionage, religion, tourism, archaeology, and trade routes - will be in place at launch. He admits that some will be more fleshed out than others, still leaving room for later additions, but the basics will be there. Beach cited his team's experience on Civ V's expansions as ideal preparation for tackling the core game's entirety.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...first-details/

This is a good sign. That was one massive failing of the original Civ5 game.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Civilization 1 was great.
Civilization 2 even better.
Civilization 3 was amazing.
Civilization 4 was arguably the best.
Civilization 5 was shit.
Civilization 6 looks like it's going to be shit judging from the screenshot.

I guess we can always get out fix playing other games from indies or other developers.
Pretty much this. Except which one had the issue where Phalanx couldn't be destroyed by tanks when holed up in a city? That was hilarious.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Lol when looking at Wikipedia for a listing of other civ games I came across this gem.

The game wasmoderately well receivedwith ascore of 66/100on Metacritic.
Since when did the gaming publishers own Wikipedia?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The designer the the Civ 5 expansions is at least at the helm from the start this time, so it will probably be better at release than Civ5 was

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I do have some serious issues with Firaxis and what they have done with their games recently.

I just feel like the first few iterations of the Civ games were ones where Sid Meyer made them out of his love for the games. Then the series got big, made a ton of money, and it was handed off to people with the direction, "just don't fuck it up." The world wonder's lost their videos, the random event's were mostly removed, the other leaders and advisor's started to feel like computers rather than characters, and all the little details that made the game feel like a trek through the history of the world were lost.

It would be like if you took the next Marvel/Avengers movie and handed it to DC to make. It would look like a Marvel movie, but it wouldn't feel like one. It would be soulless and shallow.

Haka

N00b
I remember being excited that my new computer had 16mb of a ram so that the videos of the advisers would work in Civ2. Each new age they had a different look. Those wonder videos looked like a ton of work too. I wish they made something like that a bit more. I remember as a kid just playing a game where I'd build the shitty wonders just to see what their videos were like. Civ2 was the reason I got turned on to history as a kid.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Pretty much this. Except which one had the issue where Phalanx couldn't be destroyed by tanks when holed up in a city? That was hilarious.
So true. Civ4 was and still is the best one. The multiplayer options and mods for it out-classed civ5 by a lot. I still can't believe even until this day, that simple functions like ping and adding/drawing marks in the world in multiplayer aren't in Civ5. Hopefully they will finally fully support civ6 multiplayer as well as civ4 multiplayer

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm still butthurt over the $50 or whatever I wasted on Civ5. Total shitshow - and to get a good game you gotta pay for expansions? Fuck them and Civ6. I'll stick to Civ4 and FFH when I need my fix. Civ6 has pretty much gotta blow me while playing to get me to pony up more money for Firaxis.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I remember being excited that my new computer had 16mb of a ram so that the videos of the advisers would work in Civ2. Each new age they had a different look. Those wonder videos looked like a ton of work too. I wish they made something like that a bit more. I remember as a kid just playing a game where I'd build the shitty wonders just to see what their videos were like. Civ2 was the reason I got turned on to history as a kid.
I remember the throne room updated in Civ 2 made me stupid happy. I played Civ 2 so freaking much.