Civilization VI

I have about 500 hours in Civ5 and have been playing the Civs since I was a kid. I'll be pre-ordering this one.

That being said I can fully agree that vanilla Civ5 was bad. The original developer was canned and then later gave a pretty candid interview where he admitted he made a lot of poor decisions. If I recall, the guy from Civ4 came in and did the following expansions. I'm hoping it's that guy who's heading up this iteration of the game too. I wish I could find the article that talks about this.

As for that screenshot, it looks a bit too cartoony for my tastes, I'm hoping they make it look better. For all its faults, Civ5 has a bit of a timeless feel, even for a game that came out in 2010.
Why not wait until the day the game comes out then buy it? Pre-ordering games is the main reason we get shit games at release. They get paid up front, then give us half of what is promised. If noone preordeered a game they would make damn sure the game was perfect on launch day and not tear it apart and give us half later in dlc.

Haka

N00b
Why not wait until the day the game comes out then buy it? Pre-ordering games is the main reason we get shit games at release. They get paid up front, then give us half of what is promised. If noone preordeered a game they would make damn sure the game was perfect on launch day and not tear it apart and give us half later in dlc.
I don't think the lack of pre-orders will suddenly cause the developers to invest more $$ into the game. Yes the vanilla Civ5 was bad, but pretty much everything else strictly Civ has been pretty good in my opinion (I never played BE, I heard it wasn't all that great). And the guy who did the expansions in Civ5 which made that game really good did this game from start to finish, so that's worth something to me.

I'm not preodering it months ahead, I'll wait a bit closer to release, but it's pretty likely I'm going to be buying this game and all the DLC either way. I may as well get a deal on it doing the preorder deluxe edition.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The designer the the Civ 5 expansions is at least at the helm from the start this time, so it will probably be better at release than Civ5 was
Who is he and what role did he play in Beyond earth?

I don't think the lack of pre-orders will suddenly cause the developers to invest more $$ into the game. Yes the vanilla Civ5 was bad, but pretty much everything else strictly Civ has been pretty good in my opinion (I never played BE, I heard it wasn't all that great). And the guy who did the expansions in Civ5 which made that game really good did this game from start to finish, so that's worth something to me.

I'm not preodering it months ahead, I'll wait a bit closer to release, but it's pretty likely I'm going to be buying this game and all the DLC either way. I may as well get a deal on it doing the preorder deluxe edition.
I'm sure if everyone who was genuinely unhappy about Civ 5: Nothing would not touch Civ 6 for a year, a message will be received.

As it is, you have idiots like me who bought BE within a week of release despite knowing better because I wanted to MP with a few friends. That resulted in a 10 hour saturday game where we didn't even reach turn 200.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I am shocked at people bashing Civ5. It sucked at release but the expansions made it one of the best of the franchise. If you are bashing it and haven't played the expansion content as part of the game, I highly suggest next steam sale shelling out the 3 dollars for all the expansions.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have spent a ton of time on CIV 5 post BNW and I find it the perfect inbetweenthingsiwanttoplay game. I have spent thousands of hours into it. I am optimistic this game is going to be fine. I wish it did not look like clash of clans. But if it makes it run really fast and streamlines the time between "next turns" I can't complain. I didnt play for the graphics. I MUCH prefered tiles and one unit per turn compared to stacks of doom. However I think a better way to do it would have a single artillery/infantry unit per tile. and i still love picking up a random civ mod and playing through with it. I liked the Polk America one especially.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I am sure Civilization VI: The Complete Edition would be a great game, you just have to wait a bit first while continue to play Civ IV & V...

radditsu

I am sure Civilization VI: The Complete Edition would be a great game, you just have to wait a bit first while continue to play Civ IV & V...
Yeah, at least CIV V...in my mind.. Is infinitely playable...especially if you don't allow Shaka to be in the game.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
That's the whole thing isn't it?

I see a thread that says "Civ VI" and all that means is Civ V is finally done and ready to play.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't really care for V. IV was about prefect (still not a fan of not being able to stack units at all). We'll see.

Taho

N00b
I've sunk way too many hours into Civs 3, 4, and 5. I got burned by pre-ordering Beyond Earth and will not be pre-ordering this. In no rush to be an early adopter.

radditsu

The only problem I really have with Civ 5 is the fact that Wide Play is non-existent in the upper levels of play, Playing on Diety its almost impossible to beat the game with more than 3-4 cities, unless you just war and take away neighbors cities. Which turns the game into a slog. Compared to previous games where you can grow a civ of TONS of cities is a real change. They never could get the balance right on that fact. You CAN win wide, but its not nearly as efficient.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Civ4 + expansions was the better game to Civ5 + expansions. Both vanilla versions of the game were pretty shallow and bad.

The problem I have with Civ5 is that every game plays out the same way. It doesn't matter the leader you take, or the victory condition you go into the game seeking. The AI stupidity leads you down the same path each time. Around turn 150, you are forced down the path of least resistance and you realize "oh, this is turning out the exact same way the last 5 games did..."

Superior gold and economics --> Superior relationships and bonuses from City States --> Superior military and expansion --> gg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not a huge fan of Civ5's city states. Makes the game feel much easier.

I'd be more of a fan if they did the crazy shit they rarely do (go on a conquest path) more frequently. As they normally are, they're just loot pinatas where you can brute force whatever resource you're missing using gold.

Haka

N00b
It wouldn't have to be sudden though.

Civ really lost me on their last one. Didn't even get any of the xpacs.
If you didn't get any xpacs I can understand why you didn't like Civ 5. Civ 5 at release was a joke, and there's a reason that developer was replaced. A lot of the complaints about a lack of variety in the upper levels of difficulty are a result of the things he put in place with the base game. The expansions did make it into an enjoyable experience for me though, especially BNW.

BE seemed like a Civ 5 reskinning, it didn't look or feel like Alpha Centauri which I loved so I never bothered.

That being said, those that will wait for all the expansions for Civ6, are you saying that solely based on your experience from Civ5 or did you find the base games of Civ 4 and 3 to be lacking? I found them to be solid games even without their expansions.

If they've lost your trust based on the one experience of Civ5 that's your choice to make, just wondering if there is more of a pattern there. If not, I could give a personally beloved franchise a bit of a pass on one misstep.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If you didn't get any xpacs I can understand why you didn't like Civ 5. Civ 5 at release was a joke, and there's a reason that developer was replaced. A lot of the complaints about a lack of variety in the upper levels of difficulty are a result of the things he put in place with the base game. The expansions did make it into an enjoyable experience for me though, especially BNW.

BE seemed like a Civ 5 reskinning, it didn't look or feel like Alpha Centauri which I loved so I never bothered.

That being said, those that will wait for all the expansions for Civ6, are you saying that solely based on your experience from Civ5 or did you find the base games of Civ 4 and 3 to be lacking? I found them to be solid games even without their expansions.

If they've lost your trust based on the one experience of Civ5 that's your choice to make, just wondering if there is more of a pattern there. If not, I could give a personally beloved franchise a bit of a pass on one misstep.
I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am guessing it's Civ 5 original launch combined with Beyond Earth being just as (More) shitty than Civ 5. So really that's two games on the Sid Meier label.