Clear Bottom Kayaks...

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gotten a hankering for kayaking these days - and the idea of a clear bottom one appeals a shitload to me - but the investment into one makes me not want to just sample and hope for the best.

Anyone out there with any experience with clear bottom ones?

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I looked into them a few years ago, or maybe it was a clear canoe. The problems for me were centered around weight and issues people have actually using the feature you bought it for. The bottom gets dirty or scratched and inevitably water gets on the inside as well. All of these in addition to the simple fact that you will have stuff with you that you set on the floor, further obscuring the view, makes them pointless or close enough that I backed off the purchase.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you plan on boating in areas with more than 10+ ft visibility standard i can see it. Otherwise no way

Vaclav

If you plan on boating in areas with more than 10+ ft visibility standard i can see it. Otherwise no way

The lagoon out here that would be my common use location is visible to the bottom. No worries.

Plenty of the streams/rivers around here are similarly clear as well.

The canal I actually live on is pretty murky - but I'd not be using it from the house too much.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Biggest thing is whether the windows are made from Polycarbonate (Lexan) or Acrylic (Plexi-Glass). Polycarb is much better strength, scratch and impact resistant. Both will get issues from UV exposure over time. They will 'yellow' and become fragile from the sun beating on them. Make sure you store them under cover.

Also what the shell is made of is another consideration. Fiberglass would be the best choice. But many are made out of roto-molded thermoplastics. You can repair both. If you damage a thermoplastic one they used to require plastic welding to repair, a rather rare and expensive piece of equipment. But West System makes an epoxy that supposedly works wonder on roto-molded boats.

Vaclav

From the sounds of that Zapatta it sounds like the expensive ones (range seems $600-$1500 that I've seen) would be worth considering more heavily then?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Meh, I know a lot of people who on a whim buy stuff like that, get a fancy bells & whistles model, use if for a summer and never again.

My theory is buy 1 or 2 tiers up from lowest available or find a fancy pants used one a yr or 2 old. And play with it till it breaks. My first surfboard, dirt bike, mountain bike, power boat, etc.were all used or on the cheap-o side, I ran em till they ran no more, and when they died I had a MUCH better idea of what I really wanted / needed when I was gonna invest in a 'real deal'.

Pro-Tip : 100% Silicone caulk will set up underwater and makes a decent quick and dirty repair without much prep.

Vaclav

Eh, I'm a DINK and the NK is permanent - if its worth the expense I can do it and not feel any worries.

Hell, I'm musing the idea of buying a camper for once a year use ATM too lol...

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Than by all means go hog wild. Invest in something like these so you can launch solo without gouging up the bottom.

IMG_1931x800w.jpg

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
What would one of those be called? That does look mighty handy.

kayak / canoe cart, kayak wheels both return google results, small ones that fold and can fit in the boat are the best imo.
I have always built my own from $30 worth of hardware store parts.

Also shit happens,so buy and wear some personal safety flotation, if you dont want to wear a full jacket they make inflatable emergency belts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

I can be patient for that a bit - first spots I want to do a bunch of I can touch the bottom while sitting in the kayak, heh. I'm sure we'll do fancier places eventually but the lagoon region is gorgeous and will keep us busy a while.