College Football 2014-15

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
No way I am supporting Kansas in anything except dropping more houses on witches.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
This is the first year I am going to watch college football. Aunt and Uncle are Beaver fans (Ducks and Beavers are huge out there of course) and my girl went to LSU. Everyone here is an OSU Cowboy fan (Oklahoma) . Don't feel attached to any team really.
Fuck you Chanur, your aunt and uncle suck. I kid.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
They are also Raiders fans. I suspect they are secret masochists.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I honestly find college football more interesting than pro, just for the variety of different styles. I'm very unlikely to watch too many pro games that don't involve the team I directly root for, but I'll watch a lot of college football games where I have no rooting interest, just because they are so interesting.

Sounds like you will be seeing a lot of Pac 12 and Big 12 football, so for example watching a game between Oregon(high-flying up-tempo spread offense) vs Stanford(traditional, power football with a defensive focus) is a lot of fun. In the NFL, everyone runs pretty similar styles. Sure there are different basic schemes, but nothing as drastic as watching a college team that lines up and runs 99% of the time, only passing a couple times a game(Navy, Georgia Tech, Air Force) vs a team that does the exact opposite, throwing 50+ times a game(Wash St, Texas Tech, Fresno, etc) . Just absolutely opposite ways to play football, and both can work just fine.

Seeing college teams that have glaringly obvious weaknesses, and then trying to work around that to succeed, really brings an extra level of fun to a game. There's college teams out there with QBs that can't hardly throw a forward pass, so they just run their QB like an extra running back most of the time. Or there are college teams that are small and undersized so they try to rely on their speed when they are drastically overmatched in the strength and size dept. Everything in the NFL is fairly vanilla by comparison because everyone is great at what they do. The difference in skill level between the best and worst NFL team is only a small fraction of the difference between the best and worst college teams.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
As long as you arealways against anyKansas Univ. team, it's all good.
also, always this. And you also never capitalize the word "kansas" because it is nothing even remotely resembling a proper place(noun).

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So Notre Dame is going to have a heck of a quarterback this year, lets see if they can put anything together in front of him.

Also, yes. Support no Kansas teams. Especially this stupid fat ass, who has only won 4 of 20 games.

mWYAGfJ.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This isn't a specific plug for Auburn, but over atCollege and Magnoliathere have been recent series of articles highlighting Defensive and Offensive concepts. Of course Auburn is used as the examples in formations, but a lot of it has been some good foundational explanations of how plays develop or defenses work. Anyways, I found it informational and like diagrams, analysis, and pictures, so thought it was worth sharing:

Formations and Personnel in Auburn's Offense

The Basics of the Inside Zone

This article was written byTuco! But not ours
frown.png

Why Defenses Look Like they Do

An Intro to Auburn's 4-2-5with a link back to a goodWSU Cougar Center postfrom last year

A little more controversial and biased article (maybe) that concerns theHUNH, I'll leave down here.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
In the past the "sloppy" feeling of college teams because there often seemed to be such massive differences in a teams capability is what turned me off to it. Keep in mind I have only watched football for the last few years too so my attitudes regarding all this have changed. I think it will be interesting, and with no pro team OU and OSU are huge out here. Really never lived a place where that was the case before. In southern California there was so many teams it never seemed to be all over like it is here. I was not interested in it much back then either so that could be part of it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The other fun part of college football is the roster turnover. Does your team have an all-world QB that can do everything? Well, you only got him for a couple years, tops. The fortunes of teams can drastically shift in short periods of time. This always gives bad teams hope, that they are 1 or 2 key recruits away from turning it all around.

The total mystery and sometimes randomness of new recruits is interesting too. Nobody really knows anything about most kids coming into college as Freshmen, only the really top-end recruits have much research done on them that is available to the public. So a college team is much more likely than an NFL team to have a guy seemingly come out of nowhere to be an incredible player. Also, a persons maturity and physical development changes much more drastically between the ages of 17-22 or so than they ever do at any point after that. If you have a team that you actually start to follow, seeing 17 year old puny recruits come in as Freshmen, and then put on 50lbs of muscle and grow a couple more inches by the time they are seniors is cool to see. Personally, I met Aldon Smith(pro-bowl DE for the 49ers now, former DE for the Missouri Tigers) when he was a 17 year old kid, his senior year in high school. Met him at a Mizzou recruiting event. He was a 6'2" beanpole, looked like a basketball player or WR he was so skinny, but had HUGE hands and long arms, so you knew he wasn't done growing. I bet he didn't weigh more than 210 lbs at that point. Fast forward 3 years and he's a stud player who is a top 10 NFL draft pick, doesn't even look like the same guy anymore once he got into a big time college weight and nutrition program for a couple years.

An NFL team might have 6 or 7 draft picks each year, 7 new guys out of a roster of 50+, but a college team is generally turning over 20-25% of their roster every single year.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Gotta love the crazy plays in college football that you would never see in the pros. The lack of super professional good players in ever postion makes all this fun stuff possible.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
There were studies by Andy Staples for SI either last year or the year before in that the recruitment of 4 and 5 star rated players consistently led to a higher average win total as well as those players having a very high percentage of being drafted in the NFL. That's not to say your Aldon Smith's and JJ Watts aren't great stories and don't happen, but they seem to be the outlier more than anything else.

I haven't said much about USC so far this summer as I don't really care for the Sark hire but I do think we'll be a lot better than people think and now we can finally get back to normal with a full recruiting class this upcoming winter.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
In the past the "sloppy" feeling of college teams because there often seemed to be such massive differences in a teams capability is what turned me off to it. Keep in mind I have only watched football for the last few years too so my attitudes regarding all this have changed. I think it will be interesting, and with no pro team OU and OSU are huge out here. Really never lived a place where that was the case before. In southern California there was so many teams it never seemed to be all over like it is here. I was not interested in it much back then either so that could be part of it.
Don't listen to that fork-tongued devil Springbok. Go WITH the grain and root for OU! You will find that the majority of non-college Oklahoma graduates root for OU so there will always be people for you to chat with. Most will not have all of their teeth. Also, your wardrobe will thank you since crimson is better than orange.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If anything he should shun his Aunt and Uncle and go to the civil war game as a ducks fan.
smile.png

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I haven't said much about USC so far this summer as I don't really care for the Sark hire but I do think we'll be a lot better than people think and now we can finally get back to normal with a full recruiting class this upcoming winter.
USC is such a question mark right now. Sark really was a middle of the road coach at Washington with some okay wins sometimes. Will the better talent SC is able to pull change things? Stanford game in early september should really show where the team stands. Would be nice for both UCLA and USC to be top teams at the same time so that the game actually means something when they play.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't listen to that fork-tongued devil Springbok. Go WITH the grain and root for OU! You will find that the majority of non-college Oklahoma graduates root for OU so there will always be people for you to chat with. Most will not have all of their teeth. Also, your wardrobe will thank you since crimson is better than orange.
Fuck that. Cheer for the good guys of college football, the Texas Longhorns.