College Football 2015-16

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Maybe Petrino will still be employed by the time that guy makes his first start.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Maybe Petrino will still be employed by the time that guy makes his first start.
I give Petrino 3 years... I think he's a fantastic coach (hard to deny that especially for what he's done at other programs), but he does have/had some personal issues. He does seem like he's getting his act together though as he is doing some great things for the city (his foundation and donations even when he was not coaching at Louisville). He loves coaching for Louisville which is apparent because his house is decorated in Louisville memorabilia even when he was coaching for Arkansas and WKU.

I just want to see him with a decently high-ranked recruiting class and team. We've been in the 30-50 recruiting ranks and have done some amazing things for what we've had. Give him a top 25 class and I think some magic would happen.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
Cardale Jones was tweeting at Rhonda Rousey and Kendell Jenner all throughout the ESPY's. I love that man and will be sad when he doesn't start this year. Sorta.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I love that man and will be sad when he doesn't start this year. Sorta.
I think it's funny. I've seen guys like Drew Brees and Tom Brady in Spartan Stadium, and none of them impressed me quite like JT Barret did last year.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I think it's funny. I've seen guys like Drew Brees and Tom Brady in Spartan Stadium, and none of them impressed me quite like JT Barret did last year.
To be fair, Brady was obviously not that impressive in college . . . 6th round?

Did you see Peyton? Newton? Any first picks?... any first round picks? I get what you are saying, but your reasoning is dumb.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Brady was impressive on the big stage - I seem to remember him outscoring Shaun Alexander running behind Chris Samuels in the bowl game - fucking kicker missing the extra point...

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
To be fair, Brady was obviously not that impressive in college . . . 6th round?

Did you see Peyton? Newton? Any first picks?... any first round picks? I get what you are saying, but your reasoning is dumb.
I thought giving examples of QBs who ended up being some of the best in the league for years was a pretty good place to start. Against MSU Brady brought his team back when Drew Henson was completely ineffective. Drew Brees holds all kinds of B10 records.

Aren't there examples you can think of where you watched a player in college that wasn't a first round pick who ended up being great? I mean, the same teams have drafted near the top for a long fucking time, and they don't have a damn thing to show for it.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
There are several I can think of that were great in college, and crap in the pros, and vice versa.

But you are using an example of someone that professional scouts saw as a sixth rounder, not impressing you are much as whoever... So... Did you know he was a hall of fame quarter back then? Does that mean Jones might be a fifth rounder?... That's the flaw in your example and logic. Peyton, Newton, Marino, Luck, if he had impressed more than them... That's a big deal. (Newton is average, but in COLLEGE, which is when you saw Brady, he fucking dominated).

Anyway, I would explain it more / better, but it's Monday.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The great QBs were pocket passers in college. The current crop and for the foreseeable future that will not be the case and a good reason why they are washing out. All these run first or dual threat QBs end up getting fucking rocked in the NFL and have to rely on their pocket abilities which tend to suck.

The interesting thing is the major college programs aren't developing pocket passers for the most part. Its more effective in college to throw an athletic guy back there that can throw, than try to groom and develop someone that can actually read defenses and spend 99% of the time in the pocket and making decisions. This is the era of raising up a fucking play card and looking to the sidelines for adjustments literally every damn play because these fucking guys aren't being taught to read or adjust to anything on their own.

College has really done a good job of dumbing down the position and these QB's are having a tough time playing at the next level because of it. The NFL is going to have to start looking deeper for their pocket passers and QBs at the big schools are going to start getting passed over if they aren't in an NFL like system. At least the risk is far less now than is used to be for taking a QB in the first round.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
There are several I can think of that were great in college, and crap in the pros, and vice versa.

But you are using an example of someone that professional scouts saw as a sixth rounder, not impressing you are much as whoever... So... Did you know he was a hall of fame quarter back then? Does that mean Jones might be a fifth rounder?... That's the flaw in your example and logic. Peyton, Newton, Marino, Luck, if he had impressed more than them... That's a big deal. (Newton is average, but in COLLEGE, which is when you saw Brady, he fucking dominated).

Anyway, I would explain it more / better, but it's Monday.
Tom Brady was a nightmare in college and Drew Brees was a fucking God at Purdue. Both guys fell due to combine bullshit (height/running/etc) not game performance. The premise of your argument sucks any day of the week. Lol Cam Newton a better frame of reference than two future hall of famers ok Pawwwwl.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
The great QBs were pocket passers in college. The current crop and for the foreseeable future that will not be the case and a good reason why they are washing out. All these run first or dual threat QBs end up getting fucking rocked in the NFL and have to rely on their pocket abilities which tend to suck.

The interesting thing is the major college programs aren't developing pocket passers for the most part. Its more effective in college to throw an athletic guy back there that can throw, than try to groom and develop someone that can actually read defenses and spend 99% of the time in the pocket and making decisions. This is the era of raising up a fucking play card and looking to the sidelines for adjustments literally every damn play because these fucking guys aren't being taught to read or adjust to anything on their own.

College has really done a good job of dumbing down the position and these QB's are having a tough time playing at the next level because of it. The NFL is going to have to start looking deeper for their pocket passers and QBs at the big schools are going to start getting passed over if they aren't in an NFL like system. At least the risk is far less now than is used to be for taking a QB in the first round.
There is an interesting graph that shows the type of offenses each conference plays. The SEC is a very heavy run offense which may be why they have not had a lot of great professional QBs as of late. The ACC/AAC/Big East are very pocket-passer oriented which is why their QBs lately have been more successful. There is a gigantic leap going from being a college QB to a NFL QB and it seems a lot of teams are not helping build that but rather making the QB fit the college schemes and not giving the necessary tools to get to the next level. I have a feeling if college went more pro-style or pocket-passer based, we would also see substantially less QB injuries in college too.

EDIT: L'ville just stole another recruit from Auburn, yay! A lowly 3-star, but hey, it makes me feel good!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Brady didn't even start his whole senior year.

Again, you are whiffing, it's not that those guys aren't hall of fame quarterbacks, it's that (specifically Brady) were not a barometer of amazing in college. I'm not claiming to have followed either of them, but nobody goes from first overall to 199th because of a 40yd dash.

So using Brady, in college, as a comparison to how impressive someone else is, seems flawed.

Again, I followed neither of them then, and Brady might have been the greatest college qb ever, but one metric (draft) screams he was not.

Also, not saying scam is a hall of fame guy, but there is a reason he was a high draft pick and carried to a title (just an example of barometer, not my personal opinion).

Jones isn't even going to start, I think? So following the trend, maybe he will be a HoF qb. /shrug

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
CKcR3P9UAAAoqLN.jpg

SEC Network on Twitter: Six of the Top 10... we'll take it.

As much as I like to talk about the virtues of the SEC, I can't see this being accurate. No way is A&M or Arkansas a top 10 team. Top 25? That's reasonable, but not top 10. Ole Miss is probably a stretch as well. And what about Auburn? I'd drop A&M, Arky, and Ole Miss off that list and add Auburn, Michigan State, and Clemson

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's pretty much my opinion of Mizzou. Everyone can just keep picking us to finish 4th in the East every year, and we'll just keep stomping those expectations every year. I don't like being highly-touted going into a season, it can only result in disappointment. I enjoy 10-2 seasons where we are considered underdogs going in to almost every conference game that we play

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
At SEC Media days they also picked Auburn to win the SEC but not win the West. So everyone is having a field day working that in to whatever narrative they can.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
CKcR3P9UAAAoqLN.jpg

SEC Network on Twitter: Six of the Top 10... we'll take it.

As much as I like to talk about the virtues of the SEC, I can't see this being accurate. No way is A&M or Arkansas a top 10 team. Top 25? That's reasonable, but not top 10. Ole Miss is probably a stretch as well. And what about Auburn? I'd drop A&M, Arky, and Ole Miss off that list and add Auburn, Michigan State, and Clemson
ESPN does not have a SEC bias. Nope, no way.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Dont care...back to back champs. Good chance to threepeat (no one other than Florida has done that in the east)