College Football 2017-2018 Season

Fadaar

That guy
If it was 6, keep Alabama out and bring in USC, Ohio State, and UCF. Power 5 conference champions and 1 wildcard, though the faggots that run the committee would have gone with Alabama anyway.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Just going by resume and conference champs it should have been Ohio State, USC, and UCF joining Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia. Of course Alabama fans are going to point at their performance in the Clemson game and say just look how good we are but they didn't play for the conference championship which in my eyes didn't make them worthy of the spot regardless of how good they actually are. Literally the only major american sport where the playoffs/championship are decided by opinion and the eye test as opposed to on the field results. So basically conference champs of the P5 and the best G5 school for the sixth spot. Having said that Alabama would destroy USC this year and would probably beat Ohio State three out of five games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
This was the moment your opinion ceased to matter.

I don't see how that is. Many times in sports the "best" team isn't the team that wins it all or even gets a shot to win it all. You have to prove it on the field. Only in the blue blooded world of college football does feels and the eye test trump on field performance. If you can't even win your conference then you don't deserve to play for a national title. Alabama this year, Ohio State last year. Neither team deserved to be in and both got in based on past performance and that is obscene. A season is a self contained entity and any organization that cares about competitive integrity should not be boosting a team in to the championship scenerio because they are Alabama, USC, or Notre Dame as opposed to Wisconsin, UCF, or Utah. Hell even disregarding winning conference championships and the G5 schools Wisconsin had a similar if not better resume then Alabama with the same record. So why were they left out? Their quality loss was miles ahead of Alabama's. At least Ohio State won their bowl game.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Because the entire point of the committee, the BCS, etc was to find the best teams and have them play for it.

Usually, esp during the BCS, the competition was so fierce that a loss woulda DQ a team. With for teams, not so much.

And at this point, you can't make an argument for any team being better than Alabama.

Now if you want to argue that deserving > best, sure. But that's not what this system was created to do.

And fucking Lol @ UCF Utah etc. Those teams can rise up to good teams lows, but if you really think those teams can compete you are delusional. OU, BAMA, UGA, OSU, would all be 21pt favorites over them. And the is a great chance they blow that spread apart before the half.

Some of you guys need to go see what freaks those type schools put on the field.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
I've been to a ton of Big Ten and then B1G games so I know what the athletes are like. Your last argument also is disingenuous seeing as how UCF handled Auburn pretty well and Auburn rolled two of the teams on your list out of the three games they played. The G5 teams have won five out of their six NY6 bowl appearences with wins over Alabama, Oklahoma, and FSU as notables. Sure the most likely outcome is these teams get smashed but that isn't always the outcome and to have a system where they literally can't even got a chance is just bad man. Thats not even going in to my point about Wisconsin which you completely ignored. They dominated their Bowl opponent as well as at least having been in their conference championship game with a similar if not better schedule to 'Bama's.

edit: the best vs most deserving argument is pretty much where I'll never agree that the most deserving isn't the best. Win your damn games before touting yourself as the best.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Play games that matter. Bowl games are hard to impossible to gauge teams on.

You keep touting that auburn game, like you know how much auburn cared. Schedule those games in the season if you want to put them on a resume.

They could have a chance if they schedule quality P5 teams and win. But they don't want to because they will likely get blown out.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
WIth 6 only 2 teams would have a bye. 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5, winners play 1 and 2.

thanks, this is what I meant in my original post. It doesn't solve the problem with college sports but it moves the ball forward.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
But they don't want to because they will likely get blown out.

This is where we know you don't know what you are talking about. Blue blood P5 teams don't want to schedule teams like UCF. They can lose because on good years these G5s are actually tough, or they lose and the g5 has a down year which is even worse for the P5 resume. Too much trouble for little reward, and when they do manage to grab a good P5 school to play then they have to hope they are good that year and that the P5 is. Or in UCF's case this year they had Texas and Georgia Tech scheduled. Texas cancelled on them at the beginning of the season and the GA Tech game got cancelled due to the hurricane. So they got Maine and Austin Peay as replacements.

edit: Speculating on how much Auburn checked out for a NY6 bowl is futile. So I'm just going to default to if the big bad P5 school even wanted it half as bad they should have destroyed the lowly G5 like you say those programs would.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
IJust going by resume and conference champs it should have been Ohio State, USC, and UCF joining Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia. Of course Alabama fans are going to point at their performance in the Clemson game and say just look how good we are but they didn't play for the conference championship which in my eyes didn't make them worthy of the spot regardless of how good they actually are. Literally the only major american sport where the playoffs/championship are decided by opinion and the eye test as opposed to on the field results. So basically conference champs of the P5 and the best G5 school for the sixth spot. Having said that Alabama would destroy USC this year and would probably beat Ohio State three out of five games.I don't see how that is. Many times in sports the "best" team isn't the team that wins it all or even gets a shot to win it all. You have to prove it on the field. Only in the blue blooded world of college football does feels and the eye test trump on field performance. If you can't even win your conference then you don't deserve to play for a national title. Alabama this year, Ohio State last year. Neither team deserved to be in and both got in based on past performance and that is obscene. A season is a self contained entity and any organization that cares about competitive integrity should not be boosting a team in to the championship scenerio because they are Alabama, USC, or Notre Dame as opposed to Wisconsin, UCF, or Utah. Hell even disregarding winning conference championships and the G5 schools Wisconsin had a similar if not better resume then Alabama with the same record. So why were they left out? Their quality loss was miles ahead of Alabama's. At least Ohio State won their bowl gameI've been to a ton of Big Ten and then B1G games so I know what the athletes are like. Your last argument also is disingenuous seeing as how UCF handled Auburn pretty well and Auburn rolled two of the teams on your list out of the three games they played. The G5 teams have won five out of their six NY6 bowl appearences with wins over Alabama, Oklahoma, and FSU as notables. Sure the most likely outcome is these teams get smashed but that isn't always the outcome and to have a system where they literally can't even got a chance is just bad man. Thats not even going in to my point about Wisconsin which you completely ignored. They dominated their Bowl opponent as well as at least having been in their conference championship game with a similar if not better schedule to 'Bama'I've been to a ton of Big Ten and then B1G games so I know what the athletes are like. Your last argument also is disingenuous seeing as how UCF handled Auburn pretty well and Auburn rolled two of the teams on your list out of the three games they played. The G5 teams have won five out of their six NY6 bowl appearences with wins over Alabama, Oklahoma, and FSU as notables. Sure the most likely outcome is these teams get smashed but that isn't always the outcome and to have a system where they literally can't even got a chance is just bad man. Thats not even going in to my point about Wisconsin which you completely ignored. They dominated their Bowl opponent as well as at least having been in their conference championship game with a similar if not better schedule to 'Bama's..

SHUT THE FUCK UP

• 1Salty

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Because the entire point of the committee, the BCS, etc was to find the best teams and have them play for it.

Usually, esp during the BCS, the competition was so fierce that a loss woulda DQ a team. With for teams, not so much.

And at this point, you can't make an argument for any team being better than Alabama.

Now if you want to argue that deserving > best, sure. But that's not what this system was created to do.

And fucking Lol @ UCF Utah etc. Those teams can rise up to good teams lows, but if you really think those teams can compete you are delusional. OU, BAMA, UGA, OSU, would all be 21pt favorites over them. And the is a great chance they blow that spread apart before the half.

Some of you guys need to go see what freaks those type schools put on the field.

Dude, you're fucking clueless. UCF has been beating these "powerhouses" for years. You've bought into the grand illusion that these teams are untouchable, and that the difference in talent is THAT huge. At the end of the day, it's a bunch of 20 year olds on grass. Coaching has always, and will always be the ultimate factor. A great coach can take 3 star recruits and make them perform on the level of 4 and 5 stars. A great coach will come up with ways to defeat any team. Scott Frost is a great coach, but he also had great talent to work with. UCF's QB is just as good as any other top QB in the nation.

UCF, just a few years removed from 1-AA, not even in a conference yet, played at Auburn in 1998 with QB Daunte Culpepper, whom would go on to play for the Vikings. UCF led Auburn into the final minute of the game, when Daunte fumbled, and Auburn ran it back to win 10-6.

The next year, UCF played at mighty Alabama... and won!

For many years, UCF played "the big boys" and either won, or came painfully close, to the point that they earned the nickname "UCiF". They scared enough teams, that often scheduling out of conference became incredibly hard. Schools just don't want to risk it.

And let's not forget this gem from 2014. UCF against number 6 Baylor, with current Jacksonville QB, Blake Bortles.

Keep on deluding yourself that UCF isn't legit.

13-0

Beat the team that beat the "best teams"

UCF is your National Champions

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
This is where we know you don't know what you are talking about. Blue blood P5 teams don't want to schedule teams like UCF. They can lose because on good years these G5s are actually tough, or they lose and the g5 has a down year which is even worse for the P5 resume. Too much trouble for little reward, and when they do manage to grab a good P5 school to play then they have to hope they are good that year and that the P5 is. Or in UCF's case this year they had Texas and Georgia Tech scheduled. Texas cancelled on them at the beginning of the season and the GA Tech game got cancelled due to the hurricane. So they got Maine and Austin Peay as replacements.

edit: Speculating on how much Auburn checked out for a NY6 bowl is futile. So I'm just going to default to if the big bad P5 school even wanted it half as bad they should have destroyed the lowly G5 like you say those programs would.
Yeah it's pretty hard for these teams to schedule "good" p5 schools. Boise State ran into that issue for years, blue field and everything!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
As an Auburn fan I am so conflicted the two teams we hate the most and one of them has to win a natty. What a terrible six hours that whole afternoon was! Grats to UCF, they brought it and looked like the better team yesterday.

I don't buy the whole "we didn't try because it was a letdown" crap our team was not as good as they were period end of story.

As an Auburn fan your only concern should be that Bama dies in a bus/plane crash. It is perfectly acceptable to go for Georgia.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Beat the team that beat the "best teams"

UCF is your National Champions

Why do people keep bringing this up? Did the SEC championship not happen? Yeah, Auburn beat UGA and Alabama. They looked amazing doing it. But they got beat up doing it, and UGA made some adjustments for the SEC title game and dominated them. Had Auburn's offense been better it would have been more interesting for sure and maybe Auburn could have won but, throughout that game, they didn't have an answer for UGA's offense like they did the first go around so who really knows what would have happened.

Regardless, why are people thinking that because Auburn beat UGA and Alabama, and UCF beat Auburn, that it means that UCF can beat UGA and Alabama?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Play games that matter. Bowl games are hard to impossible to gauge teams on.

You keep touting that auburn game, like you know how much auburn cared. Schedule those games in the season if you want to put them on a resume.

They could have a chance if they schedule quality P5 teams and win. But they don't want to because they will likely get blown out.

You say this like the team sets the schedule. Its not up to them. They can play who they are scheduled to play and teams are better or worse year to year .

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Participation trophies for everyone!

And the stupid A > B > C = A > C crap was a few years ago. National champs by communitive (sp?) property.