College Football 2019 - 2020 Season

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Ugghhh. It's just going to be Helton coaching all 3 phases by himself at this point. What a joke.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
LSU is in a position where they may have enough talent and money to hire a respectable NFL coach that just wants to chill. I’ve heard names like Jeff Fischer thrown around, and I think it comes down to what you want.

an established veteran or a more motivated young up and comer. Which is more of a flight risk which is more of a power struggle type thing.

They’ll have options and talent.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
LSU is in a position where they may have enough talent and money to hire a respectable NFL coach that just wants to chill. I’ve heard names like Jeff Fischer thrown around, and I think it comes down to what you want.

an established veteran or a more motivated young up and comer. Which is more of a flight risk which is more of a power struggle type thing.

They’ll have options and talent.

I would not want Jeff Fischer. Too much ego and risk of a power struggle. Not to mention, I'd have serious concerns about the motivation from someone like that.

I'd personally prefer a younger, up-and-comer type talent. Sure, you're putting them in position to make a name for themselves and leave every few years (like Aranda or Brady) but can't help but feel like they're hungrier for victories at the college level and can more easily relate to kids.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Insult to injury.

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - Ahead of the College Football Playoff National Championship, there was a lot of talk comparing the LSU and Clemson tiger mascots to each other.

82865921_10157218340958823_6460277575129235456_o.jpg

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm still enjoying the moments of this past season. And while I've never been much on the "greatest team" debate, there is no denying that what LSU did this year was truly special.

Mike Greenberg recently put it into perspective and it's almost impossible to argue.
  • The greatest single season by a QB ever, breaking nearly every individual record out there.
  • A clean sweep of almost every major award, including the Heisman.
  • Went 7-0 vs Top 10 teams (unprecedented), 4-0 vs Top 5 teams (first time in about 50 years), and 4-0 vs Preseason Top 4 teams (also unprecedented).
  • Not once did they ever trail in the 4th quarter of any game this season. That's never been done before either.
  • Only one time in the entire 2019 season did they ever trail by double digits and that was in the NC game vs Clemson. They then went on to outscore them 35-8 the rest of the way.
  • And the real testament to any argument that this was the greatest season ever is this - Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama and Florida went a combined 60-4 against the rest of the country. LSU beat them all by an average of almost 20 points.
I know the game has changed over the years. And there have been some truly remarkable teams in year's past (that 2001 Canes team still has the most impressive roster ever seen. It's a wonder some of their games were as close as they were). But I'm not sure we'll see something like what the 2019 LSU team did again anytime soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
I'm still enjoying the moments of this past season. And while I've never been much on the "greatest team" debate, there is no denying that what LSU did this year was truly special.

Mike Greenberg recently put it into perspective and it's almost impossible to argue.
  • The greatest single season by a QB ever, breaking nearly every individual record out there.
  • A clean sweep of almost every major award, including the Heisman.
  • Went 7-0 vs Top 10 teams (unprecedented), 4-0 vs Top 5 teams (first time in about 50 years), and 4-0 vs Preseason Top 4 teams (also unprecedented).
  • Not once did they ever trail in the 4th quarter of any game this season. That's never been done before either.
  • Only one time in the entire 2019 season did they ever trail by double digits and that was in the NC game vs Clemson. They then went on to outscore them 35-8 the rest of the way.
  • And the real testament to any argument that this was the greatest season ever is this - Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama and Florida went a combined 60-4 against the rest of the country. LSU beat them all by an average of almost 20 points.
I know the game has changed over the years. And there have been some truly remarkable teams in year's past (that 2001 Canes team still has the most impressive roster ever seen. It's a wonder some of their games were as close as they were). But I'm not sure we'll see something like what the 2019 LSU team did again anytime soon.

It's too bad Burrow really only got one year to shine, could have put up one of the greatest dynasties of all time

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean he played the full season before and was mediocre.

Yeah, even Tiger fans thought he was an above average QB, at best, after his first season. But it was a whole lot more than just his growing development as a QB as to why he was mediocre in his first year in 2018 and ridiculous this past year.

Joe Brady arrived and brought concepts of one of the best pro offenses in the NFL to the college game.
Burrow's game IQ and decision-making skills were difficult to measure in 2018. Turns out, it's sky high and very good. And he's pretty accurate to boot.
LSU's receivers went from leading the nation in dropped passes in 2018 to having the fewest # of dropped passes this past year. This was a HUGE difference.
LSU has had some great RBs but Edwards-Helaire emerged as one of the nation's best because of what he added to the passing game.
The emergence of a legitimate TE in Moss. Yeah, he had the name but honestly, this guy came out of nowhere and it's largely because the system and Burrow allowed him to shine.

Just a perfect storm really.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wow! That's almost too unbelievable to think Bama has never had any player score a single point in any Super Bowl ever. Crazy stuff.

I see LSU has 20 points but I'd have to think about where those points might've come from.

Fadaar

That guy
Wow! That's almost too unbelievable to think Bama has never had any player score a single point in any Super Bowl ever. Crazy stuff.

I see LSU has 20 points but I'd have to think about where those points might've come from.

Kickers are a lot of the points. Like I went through the SB the Bucs played in and Martin Gramatica has 12 of K State's 24 points in that game.

Last edited:

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kickers are a lot of the points. Like I went through the SB the Bucs played in and Martin Gramatica has 12 of K State's 24 points in that game.

I was curious if this held true for LSU so I looked it up on Pro Football Reference. Turns out RB Joseph Addai had one rushing TD for the Colts in the 2009 SB vs the Saints, WR Brandon Lafell caught a TD for the Pats vs the Seahawks in 2014 and QB David Woodley threw a TD back in 1982 for the Dolphins against the Redskins. So that's 18 of the 20.

Fadaar

That guy
I was curious if this held true for LSU so I looked it up on Pro Football Reference. Turns out RB Joseph Addai had one rushing TD for the Colts in the 2009 SB vs the Saints, WR Brandon Lafell caught a TD for the Pats vs the Seahawks in 2014 and QB David Woodley threw a TD back in 1982 for the Dolphins against the Redskins. So that's 18 of the 20.

They said QB points don't count for their numbers so the points are elsewhere

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh well. Moving on.

Considering that Clemson schedule, next year will boil down to a race for three spots in the playoff. I'm used to feeling that way every year about Bama (and still do) but now it's two teams. So maybe two spots?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm worried about the Irish this year. They lost their three top receivers, Claypool hurts the most, and there don't seem to be any receivers waiting in the wings. I'm glad Book is back for another season, but it could be a rough year on the offense side of the ball.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm worried about the Irish this year. They lost their three top receivers, Claypool hurts the most, and there don't seem to be any receivers waiting in the wings. I'm glad Book is back for another season, but it could be a rough year on the offense side of the ball.

When are they going to finally join a conference (Big 10?)?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm interested to see if OU makes any additional improvements on D this coming year.

I'm not an idiot, so I know that the most likely time to see real improvement on D is in 3 years or so after several recruiting classes have come in under the new system but I'm impatient about this shit.