Collosal Cave 3D - a game from Ken and Roberta Williams

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Dunno much about it but Ken and Roberta are the original creators of kings quest and Sierra Online. They are exiting retirement to make a new game and this is it.

Overview​

The Colossal Cave is a reimagining of a game, that was originally introduced in 1975 by Will Crowther and Don woods, as a 3d fully immersive VR experience.

The Colossal Cave is already well known to tens of millions of gamers worldwide. Several elements of the game such as the codewords “Xyzzy” and “Plugh” are recognized instantly by most gamers.

Roberta Williams, who has received widespread industry recognition including several “Hall of Fame” awards, and who is the designer of several industry leading hit games, including King’s Quest, Phantasmagoria, Black Cauldron and many more, is adapting the game for the VR world and bringing to life its many characters.

In the game, players explore a cave seeking treasure. Along the way they will encounter a variety of characters some of whom will attack and some of whom will entertain. For instance, there is a Troll (at the troll bridge), a bear, a snake, dwarves (seven of course), and a pirate. The player’s quest is to find all the treasure. The challenge is not easy and there will be a wide variety of puzzles to overcome.

Audience: Intended player segments/demographics​

The Colossal Cave is a family-oriented game. The designer is known for the King’s Quest series of games and wants the same full-family demographic for this game.

Many parents have fond memories of the game and will look forward to introducing it to a new generation.

Implementation​

The Colossal Cave is being implemented as fully immersive 3d virtual reality exploration of underground caves. There are over 143 locations. The game is first person and makes excellent use of VR to provide a realistic cave exploration experience.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Dunno much about it but Ken and Roberta are the original creators of kings quest and Sierra Online. They are exiting retirement to make a new game and this is it.

“Most gamers”

I’ve been gaming since 1977 with Pong and Atari and every iteration since.

I cut my teeth on PC gaming in Jr High on the IBM PC and PC jr and the Apple IIGS. Kings Quest was what everyone wanted to play during free play in computer lab.

I’ve never once heard “Xyzzy” or “Plugh”

I don’t know why I’m posting this as I actively love all things old PC gaming and old Sierra games have a special place in my heart but I think “most gamers” is a marketing stretch 😂

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

sortof. I also thought they oversold that statement. "most gamers" are not 40+ year old pc/amiga gamers...

that said, it has been referenced repeatedly in many other games.

xyzzy is something you may not even have noticed was being referenced.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I’ve never once heard “Xyzzy” or “Plugh”

1648587661439.png

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If EA would allow it I'd like Freeman and Westfall to come out of retirement and make a VR ready reboot of Archon.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If EA would allow it I'd like Freeman and Westfall to come out of retirement and make a VR ready reboot of Archon.
This one?

Played it a lot on C64 and later NES, and a recent remake. Would be interesting as VR I guess?

1648946213235.jpeg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Interesting this came up cause I had just watched this vid not long ago.