Colrectal Stage 3 cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you discover it? Symptoms?
Rectal bleeding, throwing up blood, super tired,weakness, a lot of pain in the colon and stomach.

Cause I have serve ulcerative coltis I am already a high risk for colon cancer every 6 months, they want me to get a colonscopy etc.

It just sucks I am only 36 year old and pretty dam healthy ,as well as fit other then ulcerative coltis.

Banal_sl

shitlord
My boss is 52 and was just diagnosed with colon cancer about 18 months ago. After talking to a bunch of doctors and weighing his options he decided to do nothing but regularly monitor it. The reason being most men die with colon cancer but not because of it. As long as it doesn't spread he's going to just keep on doing the same thing.
That's prostate cancer, not colon cancer.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's prostate cancer, not colon cancer.
Yeah colon cancer is very metastatic while prostate cancer is not, mostly. In short it is serious business. The problem with colon cancer is that so many other gastrointestinal disease have similar symptoms it can be difficult to pin down. And for people who have these chronic gastrointestinal diseases they are already at an increases risk of colon cancer.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
And seriously if you have any question about this stuff ASK them. Myself, my brother, sister, 2 cousins, mother, 2 aunts, and 2 uncles have all had our colons removed due to cancerous polyps. Some of us do not have bags and some do. I have something called a J-pouch. I have no idea how viable an option that would be for you or if you've already discussed it with yourdoctor but it's worth mentioning. It allows me to use the restroom like normal. However at the expense of going more frequently. Cilium (metamucil/fiber) can help with the regularity.
I'm going on close to 20 years post colon removal surgery. There's seriously no stupid question you could ask. So if you need to ask away. Feel free to pm me if you prefer.

Another thing cant understand mates is why my doctors want me to wait so long like 8 weeks after 6 weeks of chemo to remove the entire colon with cancers?

Then after the colon is removed and I have bag for the rest of my life, they do more chemo.

I am not a doctor, but do any of you know why after 8 weeks of chemo they wait another 6 weeks to do the surgery to remove cancer with colon?
I just cant understand to me why they don't pull the cancer out much sooner?

I have to talk to bunch of doctors on Monday so maybe, I can get the answer to this question above.

Cheers.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I would have thought they would do the surgery first then chemo but I'm not the doctor so that's definitely something to ask them. As far as the delay after chemo if that's the route you go. It's a matter of your body healing from the chemo first so you're healthy enough to undergo the surgery. Chemo seriously retards your body's ability to heal. When you go through chemo you want to be very careful with where you go and who you're around. Your immune system is hammered to hell and has a difficult time keeping up with any bugs you might catch. Just be careful and take care of yourself. Don't go hanging out at the mall or anything. :p

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Another thing cant understand mates is why my doctors want me to wait so long like 8 weeks after 6 weeks of chemo to remove the entire colon with cancers?

Then after the colon is removed and I have bag for the rest of my life, they do more chemo.

I am not a doctor, but do any of you know why after 8 weeks of chemo they wait another 6 weeks to do the surgery to remove cancer with colon?
I just cant understand to me why they don't pull the cancer out much sooner?

I have to talk to bunch of doctors on Monday so maybe, I can get the answer to this question above.

Cheers.
I'm not a doctor but play one on the internet. I believe they wait because chemo can weaken your immune system, which is bad for surgery. Prior to surgery they would be checking your bc to make sure your immune system is healthy enough for the surgery. Now why not surgery right away prior to any chemo? I'm not sure

I'm not a doctor but play one on the internet. I believe they wait because chemo can weaken your immune system, which is bad for surgery.
I understand this, However I always had heard or thought that the sooner they pull out the cancers the better chance of them not spreading so don't understand why my surgeon is going to wait so long.

I will be talking to a bunch of doctors tomorrow Monday, its just bugging me mentally why they are going to wait.

Cheers.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I understand this, However I always had heard or thought that the sooner they pull out the cancers the better chance of them not spreading so don't understand why my surgeon is going to wait so long.

I will be talking to a bunch of doctors tomorrow Monday, its just bugging me mentally why they are going to wait.

Cheers.
Tidbit take a look at this article, they talk about the issue of chemo proir to surgery
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/canc...cer-chemo-swap

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am really sorry to hear you have this.

My cousin, who is for the most part the brother I have never had, is going through this right now at age 43. He had a round of chemo, they took his colon out and he has a bag, then went through another round of preventative chemo. They found some small spots on his lung and it had spread. He went through another 6 months of chemo and now they are going to do surgery on his lung to get the rest of it. He has 4 kids, one is a new born. He was the best man in my wedding and planned off chemo treatments with his Doctor so he could feel better for my Bachelor party and wedding day. The guy is a trooper. We have become even closer in the last year, which if you knew the both of us, you wouldn't think would be possible.

My advice is to stay positive (Easier said then done) and stay off the internet looking at statistics and 5 year survival rates. A lot of people are diagnosed after age 65, so when you are younger like you are, it is a very treatable / curable (Even at Stage 3) disease. So it goes without saying that if you see lower than normal survival rates, age has a LOT to do with it, and when people die with this cancer in that age bracket, it effects the percentages for everyone. And most older people believe it or not die from something else, but it is still counted in the survival rate from what I am told.

You'll be fine
smile.png
With the added bonus of being able to play games without having to get up and take a dump! It will be automatic for you!! (Sorry trying to make you laugh a bit)

Hang in there. And for the record, anyone that bashes you in the games threads for asking for beta invites to take your mind off it can get go get fucked in their ear.
Dude think about it, you are becoming the perfect raider!

Seriously, joking aside, cancer is terrible and sucks - but life can still be great. Take everything good that happens as a positive and cherish them, push out the badness. A lot of my family has had various forms of cancers, it affects all of us in some way - try to be positive and hope for the best! Anything rerolled can do to help, I'm sure the community would band together to assist.

Cybsled

Cheers.
Infection from surgery is always a risk, especially with menacillin resistant strains becoming more prevalent. Having a weakened immune system increases the probability that you could get an infection, which depending on the severity, can most definitely kill.

iannis

Musty Nester
As well as that, chemo physically shrinks the tumor so when they go to excise it they'll have to cut less. It may seem like a silly consideration when they're talking about taking the entire organ, but it does matter.

The treatment affects healthy cells as well as cancerous cells by interfering with their ability to reproduce. This not only compromises your immune system but it compromises your intrinsic healing processes.

It is very much safer to wait for your healthy tissue to recover a bit than to follow treatment with immediate surgery. Your body would just be too weak to survive it immediately or it would cause utterly unnecessary complications.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Cheers.
If you were diagnosed with Stage 3 it has already spread past the Colon Wall and into your lymph nodes (Which is why they are starting with Chemo now. They need to kill those cancer cells first while at the same time attacking those in your colon - before surgery. With the hope that after surgery, you will be NED. If they did surgury first and then Chemo, you would have to wait before the chemo started and the surgery wouldn't do anything for the cancer cells that have already spread.

So I find out today they are not starting my chemo till august 23,2013.
I don't know if this is good or bad sign.
I am very stressed over all this the not knowing and second guessing.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I find out today they are not starting my chemo till august 23,2013.
I don't know if this is good or bad sign.
I am very stressed over all this the not knowing and second guessing.
If you have Stage 3 cancer and they are telling you you are not starting your chemo for a month, I would seriously go see another doctor and get it started as soon as possible.

What country? I believe you said UK? That's absolutely ridiculous. I cousin had stage 1A before they caught some more in his lung, and they started his Chemo 3 days after diagnosis. There was no messing around.

You need to ask them why they are waiting so long.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yes, that sounds way too long to wait for chemo. The two members of my family that were diagnosed with Cancer (one in Canada and the other in the US) both had their treatment started within a week.

That being said, I wish I could give you some realistically positive encouragement. It's an awful disease with an almost equally awful treatment.. I actually have a colonoscopy scheduled in a month because I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis via CT last week and some of the symptoms mirror that of colon cancer, so they have to check and make sure it isn't the latter.. Terrifying to say the least. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through..

Utnayan;290249 said:
If you have Stage 3 cancer and they are telling you you are not starting your chemo for a month, I would seriously go see another doctor and get it started as soon as possible.

What country? I believe you said UK? That's absolutely ridiculous. I cousin had stage 1A before they caught some more in his lung, and they started his Chemo 3 days after diagnosis. There was no messing around.

You need to ask them why they are waiting so long.[/QUOTE

I agree with all this, I am seeing other doctors tues ,wed ,thursday to try to fiquire out why these doctors want to wait so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.