Combining 2 hard drives into 1 volume

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Friends,

Is it possible to have 2 external hard drives work as 1 volume on a desktop? I'm running out of room for torrents and need to expand and I'm too cheap to buy a NAS system.

I'm using Windows 8, 64 bit edition.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not that I'm aware of, but just do what I used to do. Go into uTorrent and change the default download location to (for example) F:\Torrents instead of E:\Torrents. That way anything new will end up on the new drive, but all the old stuff will still be seeding/stored on the old drive. Sure you might have to check two drives now to find a file, but since they'll be separated by when they were downloaded that shouldn't be too difficult.

If you're looking to do something beyond that, I'm not sure what it is you're asking then.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, here are the instructions on how to do it for Windows XP/Vista/7, not sure if it still applies to 8 or not

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ve-in-windows/

Although doing it through windows, you're going to lose your data when you resize partitions.

To avoid that you'll probably need a 3rd party piece of software to do it. Theres a ton of partitioning software out there that can keep data while it resizes partitions.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Windows 8 Storage Spaces will also do it, but, as with the traditional software JBOD (Spanned)/RAID 0 (Striped)/RAID 1 (Mirror) setups in Windows, you'll have to format the drives (and any new drives you add to the pool afterwards).

FlexRAID (www.flexraid.com) will do it without formatting the drives. You can also add new drives to the pool without formatting them. I use this and have 8 3TB drives in one pool, all accessible as my D: drive.

Edit: I should note that I only had 3 data and 1 parity drive initially. I added 4 more drives later on. You can add drives to FlexRAID without formatting anything, even if the new drives already contain data. That's why FlexRAID is teh awesome.

spronk

FPS noob
use junctions much simpler and safer. open a cmd prompt, mklink /j c:\movies\_movies2 d:\movies I believe is the command which will make a new _movies2 folder in your c:\movies folder pointing to d:\movies (use whatever directory names you want). There are also GUI utilities to make junction points, its the same as symlinks in unix. I keep a master c:\downloads folder on my SSD that has 4 links in it pointing to different drives (movies TV games books comics etc), and just shuffle stuff around.

I would not fool around with the raid drive shit, unless you do things right you can get into a scenario where one driving failing wipes out everything.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I would not fool around with the raid drive shit, unless you do things right you can get into a scenario where one driving failing wipes out everything.
This ^^ doesn't happen if you use JBOD (which is not RAID) or FlexRAID (which is not really RAID, but does give you options if you suffer hardware failure).

Bottom line? Make sure your backups work, no matter what you do.

I should note that I'm not shilling for FlexRAID, either. I bought it and it made my storage problems go away because it's so damn simple. It has its issues, but it's leaps and bounds better than Windows software RAID of any kind.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
If you want to keep the drives on your pc, then yeah, just use mklink. If you want to start your own little storage server, I highly recommendunraidfor combining drives. Free for 3 drives.