Comcast X1?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does anyone have this?

I've been seeing the commercials everyday but ignored them completely. I figured it was like when Xfinity came out and I thought it was something cool but it was really the same thing. I guess the X1 is the new HD DVR featuring 500GB storage(from 180 now), has apps and stuff like the xbox360, completely rehauled, and you can now record like 4 shows at once while watching a 5th or something. I guess there are other improvements too.

It's not quite in our area yet (although they spam the commercials), so I'm curious if anyone here has used it?

I think it's like $18-20 more a month for this box, which I don't mind. Recording only 2 shows at once and not being able to watch a 3rd channel is shitty. And you can only record so many shows in HD before the space is up. I'm on the waiting list I guess.

Reviews? Added costs?

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Fucking outrageously expensive they wouldn't even tell us the price in the xfinity store. You'll be paying $200 month minimum.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fucking outrageously expensive they wouldn't even tell us the price in the xfinity store. You'll be paying $200 month minimum.
Oh I agree, but I'm one of those people that still uses Comcast for cable, phone and internet. It's expensive as shit but it's convenient for me. I already pay $180/mo

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Oh I agree, but I'm one of those people that still uses Comcast for cable, phone and internet. It's expensive as shit but it's convenient for me. I already pay $180/mo
So do we, and when the internet goes out, the phones go out. But I think you have to have the premium channels etc, its pretty clear on the website what it all entails. I was super stoked about it at first to be quite honest.

But we have microoutages all the time, I get a lot of random lag in raids, etc etc, though one time it was the neighbors dog that chewed through the drop.

The last huge issue was the dvr randomly reset during the Texans game and I wasn't recording or anything.

I just cant give them any more money than they get for the level of service we've been getting.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They're fairly good with us, minus a hiccup we had where they charged me over $100 to install at my new place when they didn't install -- I did. We record all of our TV because we work so much, so we're mostly interested in the expanded DVR and new features.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
They're fairly good with us, minus a hiccup we had where they charged me over $100 to install at my new place when they didn't install -- I did. We record all of our TV because we work so much, so we're mostly interested in the expanded DVR and new features.
Well if the service works go for it, seems awesome.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I posted that I have it in the providers thread.

It's okay, its still new and sometimes you have to restart the box because the remote stops working. It's an known issue they say they will patch soon. Mine currently wont work with my HDMI so I have it wired through the component. It's only like this on the primary box.

If you've ever had DTV, the box now functions like one of theirs, I like how it will automatically search out the HD channel of whatever you turn it to from the guide.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Directv's new DVR has 1TB of storage and 5 tuners. I don't think they charge you anything extra for it vs. a regular DVR either.

Death Tax_sl

shitlord
I've heard your home wiring needs to be pretty flawless for the X1 platform..no ingress and good return signal. Pain in the ass ? Yes

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Directv's new DVR has 1TB of storage and 5 tuners. I don't think they charge you anything extra for it vs. a regular DVR either.
It used to be that way, if you sign up now though they will only allow 3 on top of the DVR itself. It's pretty dumb.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I have two X1 boxes. They said it didn't cost anything to upgrade to it about 6 months ago. The box is nice. On Demand is much more simple and user friendly. Back when it was first released, even when you deleted a show from DVR, it would still take room in your memory. Why? Because there was a "deleted" folder that if you wanted to, you could restore shows. Problem is, it didn't auto-delete after a certain time, so you would have to spend an hour or so deleting shit.

Like I said, it's nice. But, I definitely am thinking about switching to a different provider. Already paying $221 for this shit.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I'm paying around $170 at the moment, it'll go up probably $30 or $40 after the first year in which I'll then cancel or at least threaten to until they lower the bill back down.

Desidero

N00b
I don't understand why anyone would be willing to pay $20 extra for an interface that should be standard. The "normal" Xfinity UI is embarrassingly outdated.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have learned that you really need to call DirecTV once a year and threaten to leave if they don't give you some discounts. I have gotten NFL Sunday Ticket free 2 of the last 3 years and they always lower the prices for a few months. I've been told that they are allowed to give $250 in discounts per year but I don't know if that's true but it definitely pays to call in once a year and ask them what they can do for you.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Depends on the rep you get as well. If you call and get one unwilling to work with you, hang up and call back.

I don't know about the $250 thing, I've never heard of that but that's not to say it isn't true. I usually tell customers to call back after year two when they first sign up. Coming off term is your best time to get crazy discounts to prevent you from leaving.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't understand why anyone would be willing to pay $20 extra for an interface that should be standard. The "normal" Xfinity UI is embarrassingly outdated.
Well I mean, it isn't standard.. so, if I want it I have to pay for it. Comcast is shitty, and they nickel and dime you and raise your bill without telling you so it's to be expected. I should say, they do tell you, but they include it on your paper bill that no one really reads. I'm mostly interested in it because we record a lot of HD stuff and we want to record more than 2 shows at once occasionally. Right now Xfinity's box is really limiting to us, so we're willing to pay a little more for added features. I'm hoping it comes in soon.

As far as wiring, we live in a fairly modern apartment complex, so I'm hoping it's ok. FWIW our internet has never once gone out in the almost 2 years we've been here and our speeds are always higher than expected. It's not a bad deal so far.

We're looking at houses now, so hopefully within a year we'll be out of here anyways.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So my X1 didn't record Breaking Bad last night...I checked the scheduled recordingsand it was in there, I checked the series setings, it was set up to record properly...I just didn't do it.

This is the second time it hasn't recorded a show it was set to record.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My regular xfinity box has been doing that lately too. We even had an instance where we were watching a show that was schedule to record and it just Wasnt recording it. Even forcing it to record made no difference.