Comic Books

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Thanks.

Yeah, I've heard that New52 is awful, and that Green Arrow is particularly bad. I don't care, and I doubt I'll even notice. I think I'm the ideal target for New52 (and Marvel's Ultimates, I assume) in that this is my very first foray into comics. I've never read a real comic book before, so I have no idea what makes a "good" or "bad" story.

*Edit* A bit of a clarification question: if I only read the trade paperbacks will I be missing out on anything? For example, will there be some issues of the comic between Volume 1 and Volume 2 that aren't included in either, maybe like little self-contained issues that aren't a part of either story arc? Or are the trade paperbacks comprehensive collections that simply lag behind the monthly releases?

Caliane

Nu52 gets a bad rap mostly.

some is bad, some is good.

Earth 2 was good. still ok.
WW is fantastic.
Demon knights was fantastic.
Jl3k is terrific, I think.

some of the stuff that was ongoing before as well. Batwoman, Batman, Inc.

Forever evil is pretty good really.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i forgot forever evil was a thing, since it was delayed until next month...

only planetary is(was) allowed to be delayed since it was awesome, forever evil, tries hard to wash away the shitty pandora story.

Column_sl

shitlord
I think the worst part about the New 52 is a lot of the artists seem to draw in a house style, not all of them of course.
Where Marvel seems to be actively getting a larger amount of diversity in there artists.

I'm not sure on the writing tho, because the last couple comics I read were pretty bad on both sides.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Thanks.

Yeah, I've heard that New52 is awful, and that Green Arrow is particularly bad. I don't care, and I doubt I'll even notice. I think I'm the ideal target for New52 (and Marvel's Ultimates, I assume) in that this is my very first foray into comics. I've never read a real comic book before, so I have no idea what makes a "good" or "bad" story.

*Edit* A bit of a clarification question: if I only read the trade paperbacks will I be missing out on anything? For example, will there be some issues of the comic between Volume 1 and Volume 2 that aren't included in either, maybe like little self-contained issues that aren't a part of either story arc? Or are the trade paperbacks comprehensive collections that simply lag behind the monthly releases?
For Green Arrow, start with The Longbow Hunters and then see if you can get the rest of the Mike Grell run. Grell was the guy who created Shado.

As for your more general questions, trades tend to reprint stories in arcs. So, if there were stories between arcs then trades often do not reprint them. Sometimes these stories are just filler and sometimes they are awesome.

For DC here are the must-have graphic novels imo, others can (and probably will) add to this list.

Batman - Dark Knight Returns
Batman - Year One
Superman - Red Son
Watchmen
Batman - Arkham Asylum
Batman - The Killing Joke
Sandman - all of it

If you have a 10 inch tablet then I recommend a Comixology and/or Marvel Unlimited account. If you are a filthy pirate then PM me and I can maybe hook you up with a CBT invite.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Because I'm an awesome guy and can't sleep, I just did a little digging for you ('cause I know how overwhelming this shit can be if you're not used to it). There are several different volumes ranging from 4 issues to 139 (the longest being the one Mike Grell started), stretching from 1983 until today. Really depends where you want to jump in. Keep in mind, writers come and go, and the series has been stopped and restarted a few times, so... Knowing as much or less than you about Green Arrow, I'd want to start with Mike Grell's run, but... looks like they only collect the first 12 issues, and then a handful much later in that volume, after he'd left (issue 80 being his last). Out of 139 issues. That sucks.

Next volume is 75 issues long, and it looks like they did collect the entire series in TBPs minus a few issues here and there (hate that shit). Bonus - Kevin Smith wrote the first 10 issues of that volume, and sounds like it was pretty good.

There's three more short volumes after that, until you reach the volume being printed today, the New52.

Wiki has a wonderful breakdown on the bottom of the page on which TPBs collect what, and what graphic novels are available (GN's are original stories not released in a typical comic book).Green Arrow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This site is also neat for a summary of the various volumes and every.single.issue if you REALLY care.Cyborg - DC Comics Database

If it were me, I'd start with GA: Year One, GA: The Longbow Hunters, then GA: Hunter's Moon and GA: Here There Be Dragons - to see if you'd like to collect each individual comic in that 139 run, minus the first 12 of course.As you can see on the wiki page, volume 3 (75 issues) is mostly collected in TPBs, all of the GA/Black Canary stuff is too, and and the New52 is also collected and seems to be not too far behind the original ongoing publication.

Leave a tip in the jar, thanks.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Oh, and for anyone who lives in the CA Bay Area and drives through Berkley, Urban Ore (like a giant, permanent garage sale, that's a single business) almost always has a small selection of comics (50-150 or so) where you can find real treasures sometimes, because people bring stuff in and have no idea their value. Haven't seen anything super super awesome, but you can find random Silver Age stuff, and last time I was in they had a nice selection of Uncanny X-Men from like 150-250, etc. Was super tempted to pick a bunch of shit up. And stuff is cycled fairly often as more is brought in and stuff is bought. Worth a look if you're passing by, I think comics are $1 apiece.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I guess I wasn't a big DC person to begin with, but Nu52 just turned me off entirely. There is so few characters I care about and Nu52 made it even less. Earth 2 stuff seems Ok, though I haven't seen as much as I'd like to (mostly 'cause Alan Scott is the best), Injustice has been fun, and Forever Evil has been a neat little thing. For the most part though, no thanks.

As I mentioned previously, I've fallen in love with Hellboy and the Mignola-verse. I feel like a fool not getting into it sooner honestly.

I recently picked up "Uber" which has been both terribly interesting and rather horrific in it's own way.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's been mentioned here multiple times: DC is at it's best when it deviates from the standard continuity. Whether that's Elseworlds stuff or just things that ignore most of the current universe like WW. The more freedom the writers have to take the story where they want to the more chance there is they'll come up with something awesome.

You can only have Superman punch Darkseid in so many ways if both of them are locked in to their canon characters. But if you take it out of continuity, like Injustice, you can have Superman finally flip his wig and murder the fuck out of Darkseid's kid and his invading force after they slaughter people. That's just not an option in continuity.

None of which means non-canon stuff is all good. Just look at the follow up to Kingdom Come. Or hell, Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm only interested in the russian tank lady Maria in the "uber" storylines. the british are boring, the japs were worthless and they're developing the german battleships now at least.

McCheese

Because I'm an awesome guy and can't sleep, I just did a little digging for you ('cause I know how overwhelming this shit can be if you're not used to it). There are several different volumes ranging from 4 issues to 139 (the longest being the one Mike Grell started), stretching from 1983 until today. Really depends where you want to jump in. Keep in mind, writers come and go, and the series has been stopped and restarted a few times, so... Knowing as much or less than you about Green Arrow, I'd want to start with Mike Grell's run, but... looks like they only collect the first 12 issues, and then a handful much later in that volume, after he'd left (issue 80 being his last). Out of 139 issues. That sucks.

Next volume is 75 issues long, and it looks like they did collect the entire series in TBPs minus a few issues here and there (hate that shit). Bonus - Kevin Smith wrote the first 10 issues of that volume, and sounds like it was pretty good.

There's three more short volumes after that, until you reach the volume being printed today, the New52.

Wiki has a wonderful breakdown on the bottom of the page on which TPBs collect what, and what graphic novels are available (GN's are original stories not released in a typical comic book).Green Arrow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This site is also neat for a summary of the various volumes and every.single.issue if you REALLY care.Cyborg - DC Comics Database

If it were me, I'd start with GA: Year One, GA: The Longbow Hunters, then GA: Hunter's Moon and GA: Here There Be Dragons - to see if you'd like to collect each individual comic in that 139 run, minus the first 12 of course.As you can see on the wiki page, volume 3 (75 issues) is mostly collected in TPBs, all of the GA/Black Canary stuff is too, and and the New52 is also collected and seems to be not too far behind the original ongoing publication.

Leave a tip in the jar, thanks.
Awesome, thank you. That cleared everything up nicely.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Incoming super noob question:

How do you buy comic books nowadays? Is it still a monthly thing where new issues arrive at your local comic book shop on a certain day and you go down and pick up the ones that you're following? I ask because it seems like graphic novels (or, I guess, collections of runs?) are popular and I see them all over Amazon.

I'm obsessed with Arrow and I'd like to do some reading of Green Arrow comics to see some of the similarities and differences between the books and the shows. Should I just pick up some of the graphic novels/collections or should I go to the comic book store and just pick up whatever the latest Green Arrow book is (if that's even possible)?
In my area, there are no comic book stores any more. There is one place that carries a limited selection of Marvel and DC.

Torrents has pretty much every book in real time. Too bad Marvel and DC have not embraced the digital age.

McCheese

In my area, there are no comic book stores any more. There is one place that carries a limited selection of Marvel and DC.

Torrents has pretty much every book in real time. Too bad Marvel and DC have not embraced the digital age.
I'm lucky that I have 2 comic book stores within a 10 - 15 minute drive.

When it comes to books I despise digital copies so I always buy the hardcopy.

Caliane

ComiXology Removes Storefront from iPad, iPhone Apps - Comic Book Resources

Comixology is removing the storefront from the iphone/ipad app.
Purchases will have to be made from the .com store.

This removes the impulse purchase.
but, as I lamented before, also removes Apple from the picture with their bullshit fees, and control over the market, as the article notes, apple also forces comics to be .99c or higher.
And, if you remember a while back, when their was the shitstorm on Saga getting censored. (Although that was "apparently" comixology jumping the gun, on what they thought Apple was going to censor or something. hard to cut through PR on what really happened.)
Direct from comixology.com is more money into the creators hands.

Platform fees are about the biggest bullshit ever invented. we need more companies taking a stand vs that shit.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I sincerely hope that removing impulse purchases doesn't hurt them too much.

I'm not a comic reader by any means, but I had some time today and started reading the Ms. Marvel comic that I had impulse purchased earlier to see what the fuss was about (Ms. Marvel's a 16 yo Muslim girl). I was about to buy the latest issue, but was pretty confused when the option didn't even come up. I figured it out and bought it via their website, but I know I'm going to buy less comics overall because of this change.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I'm an man fan, is it worth getting the marvel online pass and binge read everything that have? I want to read how colossus dies, everything from cable and cyclops. Do anyone has the ultimate pass?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I'm an man fan, is it worth getting the marvel online pass and binge read everything that have? I want to read how colossus dies, everything from cable and cyclops. Do anyone has the ultimate pass?
Am I reading the site right: $10/mo ($100/year) for all-you-can-read comics?