Comic Books

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Post more stuff guys. I love dipping into this thread occasionally and reading interesting clips from comics you loved and why you loved them. Anything from Planet Hulk (I think?) where he is killing everyone is a bonus.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Moon Knight #1 reboot-thing that recent came out was pretty awesome I thought.

In one issue they told us his background, who he is, what he does, covers a bunch of stuff he did in the past as well as answer some lingering questions surrounding him for years, as well have actual story and foreshadowing. Really well done.

Young-New-Old-Cyclops meeting his dad was pretty awesome (Last two New X-Men) and Young-New-Old Cyclops hanging out with Old-Old-Normal Cyclops in that other X-Men title was pretty cool too. Even if it kind of makes no sense.

Trying to think of what else I read... Captain Marvel 1.1 or whatever was kinda "meh". Oh! Avengers Undercover (aftermath to Avengers Arena)... fuck this guy ruining Runaways.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am a fan of the Superior Foes of Spider-Man. It is a funny series from the point of view of shitty Spider-Man villains like Boomerang and the Shocker.

Column_sl

shitlord
I picked up Inhuman, and the Guardian movie prequel this week.

Just flipping through the Guardian book, they already showed Thanos so wonder if he will make it into the movie.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I'd like to mention, I've found a new love. I never paid a lot of attention to Hellboy comics before, but a guy at /co/ has been putting various stories up of Hellboy, Abe, and now reading some Lobster, and goddamn do I love this shit to death.

Need to find a big download of it somewhere.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Incoming super noob question:

How do you buy comic books nowadays? Is it still a monthly thing where new issues arrive at your local comic book shop on a certain day and you go down and pick up the ones that you're following? I ask because it seems like graphic novels (or, I guess, collections of runs?) are popular and I see them all over Amazon.

I'm obsessed with Arrow and I'd like to do some reading of Green Arrow comics to see some of the similarities and differences between the books and the shows. Should I just pick up some of the graphic novels/collections or should I go to the comic book store and just pick up whatever the latest Green Arrow book is (if that's even possible)?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
goto your local comic book store, new issues always come out on weds of every week, tell them what you like, ask what you might be interested in (they will not give you shit, b/c every good comic book store knows that 80% of there sales comes from loyal customers), and if you want get a pull list, which is basically a bro's agreement to put your comics on hold (usually up to a month) so you don't have to "run in" every week to get an issue, you could really just come in once a month, pay your tab and have a month of reading, and ask "hey whats new".

i don't really do DC, so i can't offer anything really.

Caliane

yes, print comics, and digital releases of print comics are weekly. new releases sold on Wednesdays.
(most individual titles are of course on a monthly schedule.)

Google for local comic shops if you want to buy that way. You can either just walk in and pick off the racks, or most shops will set up "boxs" to set aside/pre-order the comics you want. This is highly preferable for them. Usually will give you a discount if you do this. since, if they have 20 people ordering Greenarrow, as you say, they can order 20 copies specifically, instead of ordering a random amount, and not having them sell.
And yeah like lanx said, when I was still going to brick and mortar, I would only visit once a month, and just get all 4 weeks of comics at once.

or, you can order from online stores.
Best Comic Book Store Online - Things From Another World

Or, you can buy digital outright.
Digital Comics - Comics by comiXology
Of note for comixology, I would ask you to do your shopping from the online store, and NOT from a mobile platform.

Or, pirate.
(then buy the collected/GN at a later date.)

Why buy from online store, and not mobile platform? more money to the creators. And its easier for you as well. when purchasing, via apple/android/win8 there is a 30% platform fee.
If you buy directly from the website, there is no platform fee.
Also, the format for YOU is more ideal. you can add things to a shopping cart, and buy all at once.
While, purchasing from mobile, is one at a time.

I am not entirely sure how CC fees apply. I would expect buy all at once, to be cheaper then 10 2.99 purchases as well..

Column_sl

shitlord
Anyone reading the new Ghost Rider? I'm liking it, has a very cinematic style to the book.

Guess people are complaining it's a car, not a bike, but that shouldn't matter imho.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
More comic noob questions:

So, despite the abysmal reviews I orderedAmazon.com: Green Arrow Vol. 1: The Midas Touch (The New 52) (9781401234867): J.T. Krul, Various: Books. Am I correct in assuming this is a collection of the weekly/monthly/whatever books that came out before? If so, how is the separation between volumes decided? I mean, I see that there are currently 4 volumes of Green Arrow (New 52) available; are they divided based on story arc? by time?

I think, ideally, I'd like to start with volume 1 and read up through 4, so I can start picking up the books as they're released.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
these are known as "graphic novels" or "trades" or "trade paperback". basically if you want 1-5(give or take) issues bound up, this is what you get. some ppl like to collect these or just read them instead of getting the monthlys, they are also easier to get than to say goto a comic book store and ask if they have the back issues to green arrow from 3 years ago.

new52 stuff is hard to read... as in it sucks. what new52 is, is the entire DC reboot (along with the aquisition of wildstorm). again i haven't read green arrow anything, but a read a few new52 titles and they just suck.

i mean if you really have this arrow kick, i suggest you either research or goto the comic book store and ask them which green arrow writers are their favorite and which issues/sagas to pick up.

for instance green lantern and hal jordon in particular are so closely associated with geoff johns(the writer) that once he ended his "run"(time he wrote the comics), green lantern just sucks with zero direction and is barely even doing sales.