Comic Books

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
It makes perfect sense and it is a plan that is both simple and elegant.

With comics it is true that they are not a cash cow but the intellectual properties of comic book characters can be incredibly valuable. The purchasing of Marvel by Disney gave them a massive pool of characters to make films with and to merchandise. They are stacking paper to the ceiling with them. If you choose to shit on the comics themselves what you are doing is deciding that you are just fine getting as many golden eggs right now as you can even if it means choking the goose to death in the process. I'm just a crazy person on the internet but were I calling the shots I would want to always be providing strong support to the comic industry that we bought in to so in the future we could look forward to more new characters to later monetize. Have both a short term and a long term strategy for those silly funny books we now own and produce. Creating a mega profitable character like Spiderman takes time. I would want more than just the licenses we initially acquired. I would wantmorelicenses down the way as well. Part of doing that means not taking large dumps all over comic book readers.

I really don't know how comic book fans even do it to be honest. I started trying to follow what was going on in Marvel and DC back in 2003 and between then and now I've seen so much retarded shit that I've all but given up on the medium. There are absolutely amazing stories being told in comic books but when they are bad they are so bad they make me want to walk away from the whole thing.
Here's the thing. Characters aren't created like they used to be. They used to come from comic books and then move "upstream." So movies had a built in fanbase. Only now, no one reads comics any more. Who was the last character to gain mainstream popularity? Blade? He came out in the 80's.

How are new characters going to get mainstream popularity now? My bet is they'll be introduced in other media. I think the handful of people in this thread are the only ones that read paper comic books any more.

It sucks that you talk to teenage boys about comics, and their knowledge is only coming from cartoons like the Avengers or Ultimate Spider Man or Young Justice. They sit there and argue canon, of which they know nothing of. For that reason, it might explain why every time you turn on one of those cartoons, they have every character in that Universe make a cameo. My seven year old daughter watched an episode of YJ, and her head was spinning trying to keep up with Supergirl, Batgirl, Wonder Girl, etc. The companies are just throwing every character they can out there in the cartoon, since that's the only way to expose new fans to the lore (and potentially new movie characters).

It's all so sad
frown.png

frown.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Here's the thing. Characters aren't created like they used to be. They used to come from comic books and then move "upstream." So movies had a built in fanbase. Only now, no one reads comics any more. Who was the last character to gain mainstream popularity? Blade? He came out in the 80's.

How are new characters going to get mainstream popularity now? My bet is they'll be introduced in other media. I think the handful of people in this thread are the only ones that read paper comic books any more.

It sucks that you talk to teenage boys about comics, and their knowledge is only coming from cartoons like the Avengers or Ultimate Spider Man or Young Justice. They sit there and argue canon, of which they know nothing of. For that reason, it might explain why every time you turn on one of those cartoons, they have every character in that Universe make a cameo. My seven year old daughter watched an episode of YJ, and her head was spinning trying to keep up with Supergirl, Batgirl, Wonder Girl, etc. The companies are just throwing every character they can out there in the cartoon, since that's the only way to expose new fans to the lore (and potentially new movie characters).

It's all so sad
frown.png
hopefully this means she can make any story she want's and it'll be good, out of the current arc, batgirl imo is def the weakest out of batman/batgirl/action comics, "oh no joker is being a bad ass finally, how will we put batgirl in peril? we'll get her married", women either being married or preggers in a comic book story is about all they can do for a female heroine, why can't we have her say "screw this, you batMEN, batMAN, sissy robins, nightwings and red hood all suck, it's time a girl takes over", i mean clearly out of the whole bat family, she is even second fiddle to damien, heck even red hood outranks her, and he's tried to plot revenge on them all (or was it joker?)

frown.png

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's all so sad
frown.png
Hey man, the Walking Dead is popular! And I think We3 is being made in to a movie! And Crossed! And 30 Days of Night! And 300! And Kick Ass! And Sin City! And Wanted!

And some of those aren't even shit!

The superhero comic feels in trouble though. All of the recent cape comics I've liked have all been deconstructions like Supergod, No Hero, Black Summer, Irredeemable, and the like.

frown.png

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey man, the Walking Dead is popular! And I think We3 is being made in to a movie! And Crossed! And 30 Days of Night! And 300! And Kick Ass! And Sin City! And Wanted!

The superhero comic feels in trouble though. All of the recent cape comics I've liked have all been deconstructions like Supergod, No Hero, Black Summer, Irredeemable, and the like.
20 years from now, I wonder what the industry will look like. I can still remember a time where every boy from the age of 5 to 18 collected comics. Now you talk to them about print comics, and they just give you a blank stare.

One thing is for sure, is that Marvel and DC need to go all-in on new technology. Hell, I love reading comics on my Ipad. The problem is that they don't want to undercut their stores in price, they could probably sell them for 50-75 cents and make the same profit margin, as there is no physical cost.

God gave us Ipad's just for comics.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i feel the same, the "properties" that dc and marvel have suck, they just don't do anything worthwhile with these properties, and they can't afford to cuz they need to make movies out of them.(try nemesis too) they should take something from the manga industry, that industry is going digital, my friend says that everyone on the train now looks at their cell phone to read manga, instead of whipping out mangas. they should have more 6issue series from ppl like mark millar instead of 700issues of spidercrap.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Every game store in my area that ever dabbled into comic books died a terrible death. Walking in and seeing a wall filled with comics is like finding a lump in the shower. I hope it all goes digital.

Caliane

Manga is not going digital.
Manga is getting pirated and laws for stopping it cross country are pretty shitty.

Comics are getting pirated too.... but you don't exactly have mangastream for comics. And if there was, it would get shut down immediately. (scans daily) File sharing sites on the other hand are harder to lock down.

digital unfortunately is not picking up as fast as anyone would like. the problem is multi-faceted.
The guys with the money to push it, are not doing a very good job. comixology is the best we have. but its no Steam. Marketing is shit, or just plain non-existent. How anyone thinks they can grow a market without any advertising is beyond me.
Pirated product is better then the sold product. DRM. if you buy on PC,. you can only read online. you don't get an actual copy yourself. If you buy on Mac, or tablet you can download it at least.

I should point out, I would rather people reading comics then not reading. Piracy when your book is only selling 2000 copies is... annoying.. But sharing, increases readership. /co storytimes are fantastic. stealing the book, then talking about it, is advertising. Stealing then not talking about it... ok that just sucks. It may costs sales NOW, but hopefully if its liked, it will generate sales at a later date. A fostered fan base.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Manga is not going digital.
Manga is getting pirated and laws for stopping it cross country are pretty shitty.

Comics are getting pirated too.... but you don't exactly have mangastream for comics. And if there was, it would get shut down immediately. (scans daily) File sharing sites on the other hand are harder to lock down.

digital unfortunately is not picking up as fast as anyone would like. the problem is multi-faceted.
The guys with the money to push it, are not doing a very good job. comixology is the best we have. but its no Steam. Marketing is shit, or just plain non-existent. How anyone thinks they can grow a market without any advertising is beyond me.
Pirated product is better then the sold product. DRM. if you buy on PC,. you can only read online. you don't get an actual copy yourself. If you buy on Mac, or tablet you can download it at least.

I should point out, I would rather people reading comics then not reading. Piracy when your book is only selling 2000 copies is... annoying.. But sharing, increases readership. /co storytimes are fantastic. stealing the book, then talking about it, is advertising. Stealing then not talking about it... ok that just sucks. It may costs sales NOW, but hopefully if its liked, it will generate sales at a later date. A fostered fan base.
If Marvel and DC would give me access to their entire library on my Ipad for $20 a month apiece, I'd be all over that.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
If Marvel and DC would give me access to their entire library on my Ipad for $20 a month apiece, I'd be all over that.
Yeah, I don't understand this. Tie me up like PSN. Give me access to EVERYTHING for a monthly fee. That way I can reread shit forever and check out the new shit too. The price point should be around Netflix. Steam-like functionality for Netflix price.

It's the early 90's all over again!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe I just like somewhat meaningful lasting change, but the more I read of the new Spider-Man stuff (just read Avenging 15.1) the more I like it. I just hope by the end of the year we end up with some Firestorm-like Spider-Man with 2 consciousnesses fighting for control, or some genius/Dr. Stange/Mephisto/etc undoing everything.

Caliane

Things only comics can do. or. are you seriously comparing manga to this?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread will in no God damned way become a comics vs. manga thread. I will nazi mod the fuck out of it before that happens.

Caliane

That is just a storyboard. If your comic is just an animation still. you are doing wrong.