Comic Books

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Random question: Why does Batman call Plastic Man the most powerful metahuman in the JLA? One instance has Batman as saying that if Plastic Man ever turned evil, than "God help us all." I didn't know stretchy powers were all the deadly, considering the other members of the JLA.
Unlike Ralph Dibny or Reed Richards the guy can change into anything, absorb any damage, shrink and grow to insane sizes, wrap around anything, and is impossible to detect. He has zero limits in his powers. He is just crazy as hell and doesn't always use them right. He has no limits to his powers. If he wanted he could stretch himself to the size of the earth and wrap it up and smother it.

His limit is he is crazy.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Unlike Ralph Dibny or Reed Richards the guy can change into anything, absorb any damage, shrink and grow to insane sizes, wrap around anything, and is impossible to detect. He has zero limits in his powers. He is just crazy as hell and doesn't always use them right. He has no limits to his powers. If he wanted he could stretch himself to the size of the earth and wrap it up and smother it.

His limit is he is crazy.
This stuff, plus he is invulnerable and immortal, he is basicly a cartoon of the comic world that lives by cartoon rules.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I have an urge to invest in my comic collection again, quick someone talk me out of it before I buy new mutants 98 & 87 at the top of a bubble!

Caliane

invest is very clearly not the right word for buying comics.

Charity perhaps? divest?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Splurge on a paper collection is how I refer to it lately.

My boxes of comics are probably a little more valuable than firewood, being only somewhat facetious.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I intended to put quotes around "invest"

Clearly I mean "invest" in the fun of collecting and not for retirement.

My collection is about $5k on paper so what is that $750 to a real buyer? So much of it is $3 back issue bloat.

Splurge on a paper copy is a great way to put it. I have every comic I want to read from 1941-2015 in a 600 gig collection. IPT keeps putting up huge free leach torrents like that have every main comic a character was in. That batman file was huge!

Problem is it makes me long for the paper copies which I know is a mistake.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I started going through my 9 long boxes and pulling out old comics to read. I started with Infinity Gauntlet, moved on to Avengers Forever (the ultimate Kang story), and am now reading Excalibur. Age of Apocalypse is definitely on the list to be re-read too. That's probably my #1 X-book event of all time. Happened right at the height of my comic book reading career.
The best part? Old comic book smell. I dunno what it is but man I just love the smell of old comic books. Pure distilled nostalgia. lol
Anyway, having a really enjoyable time reading these older stories that I either mixed the first time around or I straight up forgot the details so it's like reading shit again for the first time.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, and comic shops don't smell like comics anymore either unless they've been around forever, it's a shame.

AoA my #1 event of all time personally, have a lot of nostalgia for others but they don't hold up well.

Tried to go back and read Secret Wars and it's just so bad. ALL CAPS! EVERYTHING AN EXCLAMATION! ALL POWER USAGE COMPLETELY NARRATED! It was exhausting.

AoA was just editorially so well put together with how all of the books are put together.

Compared to Secret Wars... I've started cutting Secret Wars some slack. In these older books I'm sure you've seen characters and wanted stories about them. That's what we got with Secret Wars. Instead of the barons showing up with their armies and whatnot we actually got stories and about them and other fringe areas.

Most of the stories were kinda shit is all, or left us hanging because we were waiting for what events like AoA did and dovetailed into a nice central story, which almost none of them did.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
The AoA era books were fucking stacked with excellent artists. Now good luck getting a guy that looks better than chicken scratch. Unless it's a brand new book. Then you get the kick ass artist for 4-6 issues.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have a 10 year old Nephew who wants to start getting into comics. He likes all the Marvel movies...where should I recommend that he start? I found a torrent that was like every Marvel comic from 1939-2009 and it was about 800 gigs...I think that might be a tad overwhelming to start with, lol.

Should I have him just pick one character and go with that to start?(whoever his favorite is, currently). I never read comic books growing up, so I have no idea what to tell the kid but he's looking to me for help as I'm the only adult family member that is in to the stuff he is (video games, comic book movies, star wars, etc)

Rime

<Donor>
If he is into the movies, probably start him with whatever 'All new' Marvel series he likes the best.

Unless his favorite is the X-Men. In which case, tough luck kid.

---

The big problem being that there is 30+ years of continuity, re-writes, reboots, and all that jazz for almost every major character. I do not really like many of the 'All New, All Different' Marvel changes (Jane Foster being Thor - Seriously, keep the kid out of this. It is insane, militant levels of feminist ideology. Sam being Captain America now), but it is starting most of the main characters off in a easily followed, less baggage sort of world.

Then again, some of those old stories are the best.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I have a 10 year old Nephew who wants to start getting into comics. He likes all the Marvel movies...where should I recommend that he start? I found a torrent that was like every Marvel comic from 1939-2009 and it was about 800 gigs...I think that might be a tad overwhelming to start with, lol.

Should I have him just pick one character and go with that to start?(whoever his favorite is, currently). I never read comic books growing up, so I have no idea what to tell the kid but he's looking to me for help as I'm the only adult family member that is in to the stuff he is (video games, comic book movies, star wars, etc)
Ultimate Spiderman series was good.

Devlin

Golden Squire
The Ultimate universe really is probably the best place to start.

The problem with full runs of the classic characters is they're from a less sophisticated time and haven't all aged very well.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Thanks guys, he is a big spiderman fan, so going to start him off with Ultimate Spider Man, but he also likes the Avengers so I snagged New Avengers(2005-2010) also.

That should keep him busy for a while, that's like 150 comics right there