Comic Books

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I have no idea what to make of this.

good idea? Kindof creepy? knowing your audience?
Guess it is an attempt for an indie guy to get attention for his book?

I'd try to do something crazy like... make the book good myself, but I guess you need a gimmick these days?

Caliane

https://www.imagecomics.com/store/comics

Not sure when this started.
Image comics is selling all their books digitally. Same day as print.

.pdf, ePub, .cbr, and .cbz. DRM free.
No giving Apple/Google 30%.
No giving Comixology 50%.

100% to image and creators.

that said... 2.99$ for every thing. including year+ old books. They might need to work on that.

Caliane

Agreed.

Lots of great Image books too.
Saga, Revival, Manhatten projects, Prophet, Fatale, East of West, Morning glories, Peter Panzerfaust, Jupiter's legacy, are all recent great things.

Its not clear what is online for sale, and what isn't atm. Site layout blows.

"digital comics" only shows latest releases as far as I can tell.
"series" shows everything. and you can only tell if its online, by clicking on it, and seeing if there is a link to a digital purchase.
Going through, there are fewer then I thought up so far.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, they just announced/started that in the last couple of weeks. Can't stand their brand new site though.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
I've only had limited exposure to comics in the past. Preacher, Punisher MAX and The Boys (do you see a pattern here?) being the only stuff I've actively read and enjoyed. This was back in high school where the ultra-violence was the main appeal. Fast forward to mid twenties, I still like those books but for different reasons and I'm finding I want to branch out. Previously I just grabbed torrents but have just now laid down some cash to buy my first hardcovers.

rrr_img_37332.jpg

Really enjoyed the DC Animated version of All Star Superman and wanted to check out the source. I've only recently found out about these Absolute editions, they are expensive but fuck me what a nice book. Why can't all comics be this size? It was a punt for a first timer but I don't regret it and if the rest of the Absolute editions are as good as this my wallet's in trouble. This is the only one of the 3 I've read so far. I never realized they left so much out of the movie.
Spiderman Blue was supposed to arrive with this lot but is taking longer to get in my hands. Basically I was after some stand alone stories to get a feel for the characters and this Marvel Colour series seemed like a safe bet. With Superman and Batman, the draw seems obvious, but I never understood the love for Spiderman. My only background on Daredevil is the movie, which although not great got me interested in the character and I figure there must be more to the Hulk besides "I'm Angry!" for him to remain so popular.

Based on this thread I've got The Stuff of Legend Omnibus on the way and would welcome any character defining, cream of the crop arcs you deem essential. This thread focuses a lot on the new stuff, and for DC it makes sense to check out the New 52 reboot for a specific character, but as for Marvel I have no idea on the continuity.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Kick Ass (up to 3 books now) has hard cover versions of its 3 stories.

Kick Ass, Kick Ass 2 & Hit Girl. They're publishing Kick Ass 3 right now. It'll be out on hard back in 6 months or so.

EDIT: I also picked up a thousand page "Bone" book. Bone is a cute funny-book. It told a very long story, and the thousand page version is every issue. The full story. Really enjoyable.

http://www.nerdist.com/wp-content/up...05/bone-02.jpg

Chronometer_sl

shitlord
This probably isn't what this thread is for, but I was hoping some of the more seasoned comic vets might be able to help me out.
Here's the thing, I read a metric fuckton of comics as a kid, mostly Marvel, X-men, Spidey etc, but haven't touched one since I was about 11 or so.
I want to get back into it, and I think if I am not mistaken Marvel did a complete reboot a year or two ago, so my question to you fine gentlemen is, where do I begin without being utterly confused about what went before, preferably Spidey or X-Men.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That's kind of a tough situation. Even in rebooting the series, they're bound to reference what happened in the past that led to the reboot. While it may not happen right away, it'll be brought up at some point down the line.

If you want to enjoy the books for what they are (as an entirely stand alone series), i suggest picking up old trade papers of Marvel's entire Ultimate universe. I loved Ultimate Spider-Man, X-Men, The Ultimates (Avengers), and countless other ones. They each began as a brand new story never taking the history of the older series into consideration. However, they do refer to things that happened in previous issues or other books of the same "ultimate" universe.

While I don't know the stance of this board on torrenting, here is a link to every Ultimate issue ever released. 5 gigs, so enjoy.
http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/6504701/Ultimate_Marvel

Chronometer_sl

shitlord
It's tricky indeed. I just felt like getting back into it, but so much has happened its mind boggling.
I will give that a whirl, and cheers for the 'help'
smile.png

What sets Ultimate apart from the other series?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's tricky indeed. I just felt like getting back into it, but so much has happened its mind boggling.
I will give that a whirl, and cheers for the 'help'
smile.png

What sets Ultimate apart from the other series?
It was just a whole new Marvel Universe. Launched it so they could use classic characters from their origins without being stuck with decades of canon to work around. Some of it was great from the jump(Spider-Man, Ultimates) some was mostly pretty bad(X-Men) and some was hit-or-miss(Fantastic Four).

Over all it's worth it just for the first 100 or whatever Spider-Man issues and first 2 volumes of Ultimates. Eventually they did a big Ultimatum event which...I guess...reset the universe. Or something. I dunno, I was out by then. Either way, it's good reading. It won't get you in to therealMarvel U, but that's such a daunting task. Just deciding how far back to start is hard. House of M? WWH? Civil War? Siege? Skrull Invasion? All universe spanning and changing crossover events that happened in the last 5-10 years.

So yeah,I'd say give Ultimate U a try for a start, decide from there.

Also pick up Invincible for some non-Marvel classic superhero type action done right.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Invincible is a great "fun" comic. It's a little over 100 issues in at this point.

The other one that I read every time it's out is Saga. It's on a few month break at the moment. 12 issues in, but every 6 issues is a mini-story that make up a larger story overall. The writer only does 6 issues then takes a break. Then 6 more. It seems to work though. Saga is one of the hottest books on the market as of right now.

Anyway, back to your question: It's like Grimmlokk said.
The Ultimate Universe was a way for Marvel to re-introduce all of the characters you love and give them a "modern day" start. A new beginning with modern day morals. You can re-introduce old villains in a new way as well. Ultimate Spider-Man was Marvel's best selling book for quite some time. Marvel made the choice that they wanted to integrate the Ultimate universe into the real universe, so they had the Ultimatum arc that eventually lead to the reboot of the entire Marvel universe. I guess some of the reasoning for this is that they were able to theoretically cut their total number of books in half, while maintaining the same number of readers they had over all of the previous versions of each book.

It was a cost thing. Less books + same readers = money.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I do love the idea of persistent worlds and serial storylines and everything, but eventually you have to pull the plug. Spiderman just can't have 40 years of history that they have to try and be faithful to, it gets ridiculous. And I don't think readers want that either.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Speaking of Invincible, I'm finally getting caught up with the last year or so of issues. Holy fuck I love that book. Kirkman/Ottley are amazing as a team. There's no half measures, when shit goes bad it goes BAD. It's like if What If?/Elseworlds stuff happened in continuity. It still resets to a degree like any comic, but just the constant global/galactic/interdimensional scale of shit happening is so great. Reminds me of The Authority a little bit in that regard.

Eager to pick up some of the new Invincible Universe stuff, really enjoyed the few months there when Invincible was laid up and it was basically about everyone but him. Robot and Monster Girl in the Fraxas homeworld, Bulletproof and his fucked up family all good shit I'm eager to read more of. To bad it's not Kirkman, but still curious to see how it is.

Caliane

Marvel doesn't do reboots.

All their characters have their historys intact for the most part. Occasional retcon aside, or individual reboot.(one more day)
They have a "sliding" timeline. one year passes for ever 5 or something like that. Its not exact.
Tony Stark for example, started in Vietnam, then Korea, then I forget, and now Afganistan.
The xmen were teenagers in 1960, and are 23-30 now in 2013. They have actually aged. but only 10 years or so, over 50.

10 years seems about right for most. peter started as 16, he was 28+ or so at one point, and is like 22 now I think.(one more day...)

Even the Ultimate universe.
Ultimatum was not a reboot really. It was a house cleaning. They killed off EVERYONE. well not everyone, but like 40% of their cast. The history stands though, the survivors remember that event.

Marvel numbers their universes.
Main universe is 616.
Ultimate I don't remember.
Every whatif, movie, etc occurs in its own universe.

DC reboots. and its stupid.
DC USED to have the universe numbering much like Marvel, but do to the events of infinate crisis, etc, there are no longer infinite universes. only 52.
Personally, I think that is stupid, and I like to say, those 52 were simply split off, and separated from the snowflake, which is the full multiverse, as described in Wildstorm.
52 worlds is not enough. And, despite the nu52 reboot, the Wildstorm books still exist, so their universe still exists in terms of metafiction.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Trying to remember a comic I read 25ish years ago... Batman is in a car, and he's watching someone (Joker? Chill?) being released from prison. As the prisoner is walking, someone murders him. Batman is pretty okay with this. Did I make this shit up?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Trying to remember a comic I read 25ish years ago... Batman is in a car, and he's watching someone (Joker? Chill?) being released from prison. As the prisoner is walking, someone murders him. Batman is pretty okay with this. Did I make this shit up?
Sure you're not confusing the scene from Batman Begins?