Comic Books

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
hotnaked spider chick.
3 of those are accurate...

tumblr_mg8ayqLZTE1qz4rlzo1_500.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just an fyi for saga for those that might be interested.

the first major arc of saga finishes at 18, and as of now current issue is 21.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Saga
Bought the first 8 today(all they had at the shop) AMAZING, instantly hooked and need more. I may wait for the series to be over like I did with Preacher.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So after everyone telling me to read Saga from the start I finally did and posted about it. I am taking credit for making you even newer than me people read it!

Couple weeks ago I picked up and readFurious. It's just 5 issues. I mostly just liked the art style, reminded me of Michael Avon Oeming's doingPowers. Ended up liking it for the most part. Sort of the usual "Person got powers and is learning to use them to fight crime" story, except the person is a Lindsay Lohan celebutante type who is using it as a chance to do some good for once.

It suffers a bit from being so short, there's a lot more to the world they are setting up. Not sure if it sold well enough to warrant more, but I hope so. It's not amazing, but it was a solid and mostly compelling take on an old formula. And I'm a big fan of the clean sharp art style in this case.

I don't check this thread very often, as it usually seems like the discussion is only about super hero books. Hawkeye is probably the only super hero book I read, and I guess that doesn't even really count (if you folks haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it). Saga is fantastic, easily my favorite book for quite a while now. I'd also recommend Fatale if you can stand a slow plot.

Anyone have any recommendations for anything non super hero related? I've been looking for something to binge on for a while now.

I suppose I should mention that I've already completed and very much enjoyed Locke and Key. Also I have been told I should be ashamed for not having given Sandman a proper read, but I've only got one friend that actually reads comics and his taste differs quite a bit from mine.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If you want an interesting series, try digging up the old Cyber Frog issues. This was originally a Harris Comics book, but then later became Image. He's an interesting character... or at least he was when I was 16-17.

The series was from the mid 90's.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I don't check this thread very often, as it usually seems like the discussion is only about super hero books. Hawkeye is probably the only super hero book I read, and I guess that doesn't even really count (if you folks haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it). Saga is fantastic, easily my favorite book for quite a while now. I'd also recommend Fatale if you can stand a slow plot.

Anyone have any recommendations for anything non super hero related? I've been looking for something to binge on for a while now.

I suppose I should mention that I've already completed and very much enjoyed Locke and Key. Also I have been told I should be ashamed for not having given Sandman a proper read, but I've only got one friend that actually reads comics and his taste differs quite a bit from mine.
I assume you have already readhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics) if not, start there. Also The Punisher MAX is really good, he isn't and you will never see a super hero. Also Hellblazer.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Preacher was a pretty awesome series. Also, Invincible is cool. It isn't a "well known" superhero type. It starts off normal enough, then jumps all in on the sci fi and fighting aliens and shit. It's a great series, and very silly.
It's currently on issue 112.

3622310-0699448205-Invin.jpg

Invincible-4.jpg

Another comic along the same vein is The Savage Dragon. He starts off as a cop, then eventually becomes a galactic defender god type. I really dig that one as well. It's currently on issue 196.
I still remember this issue from probably 15 years ago. Every page was a single image, as opposed to multiple panels. It was awesome.
2366371-savage_dragon__1993_2nd_series__007.jpeg

This was from a different issue, but I loved it.
CXlSLQb.jpg

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ted, Sandman is a pretty enjoyable read, and the story is told start to finish in the 75? issues or so (it's all collected in TPB's of course). I wouldn't know what to compare it to, though. It's like... reading a really interesting and long novel, with a few detours here and there from the main story, but every one is worthwhile. I rec it /shrug

Thanks for the recommendations, folks.
I'll hit up the local store and check into these titles. Barring that, I will order them all on Amazon.

Beef

Silver Knight of the Realm
Chew, Manifest Destiny, Peter Panzerfaust, Revival, and Sex Criminals are all good, non-superhero books. Spread, Trees, and Outcast are good so far but just started up in the last 3 months.

Caliane

Manhatten projects, wayward, Morning glories. East of west.
IDW's Dungeons and dragons.

feel free to try before you buy, in that post I made a page or two back..

Karloff_sl

shitlord
If you liked Saga, I'd recommend two of Vaughan's older works Y the last man and Ex-Machina. Both have collected editions and very very good reads.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I thought it was stupid when it first started but I finally sat down and read the entire Superior Spiderman run and god damn if it wasn't really awesome. I'd love to see Ock become a hero/vigilante in his own right now. And I really liked Anna Maria. I imagine she'll be written off at this point but I haven't touched the new Amazing series yet so I'll grab that next.
I hate to admit it, but I liked Superior Spiderman a lot. I don't know what's wrong with me.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I've said before that I hope they don't completely shelve Doc, give him one of the clone's bodies or something. He was great as Spider-Man. At least we'll get a bit of him in a month or two during the Spider-Verse event thing.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
My favorite current books from the big two are: Marvel - Avengers and New Avengers, DC - Injustice and Earth 2.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So I finally got around to reading The Killing Joke.

From my perspective I don't see how the ending is very ambiguous if taken in a vacuum. Batman killed Joker with his own toxin. He found the needle while battling The Joker on the ledge. The entire build up for the comic was Batman deciding that the only way to resolve their issues is with one of them dying. The manner of Joker's death is consistant with how the amusement park owner died from the toxin. One thing I haven't really seen discussed at length online was how the joke that Joker told is consistant with the final panels. He talks about how the light from the flashlight going out will kill the escaped mental patient crossing it as a bridge. The final scenes show a strong beam of light that eventually fades out over the course of the three final panels. Leading me to believe that Batman shut off the metaphorical flashlight.

Now I'm aware there is the whole argument of this is the origin story of Oracle as well and Batman/Oracle/Joker all exist at the same time leading to the conclusion Batman did, in fact, respect Gordon's wishes of bringing Joker in by-the-book. But I feel the spirit of the story was Batman killed Joker but DC just wouldn't let that happen.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Kevin Smith talks about this in the first episode of Fat Man on Batman. I don't remember the exact take, but you could listen to it and fill yourself in.