Comic Books

Caliane

Honestly, I am pretty much all for the mainstream comic market to be run as an IP farm. They are still currently run as a for profit industry. And it makes little sense for me.
DC and WB makes like 500k/year off of Batman comics, all 30 of them.. makes 1 Billion+ off licensing the IP.
Makes 100k/year off Wonder woman comics, all 1 of them, at best. 200million off licensing the IP.

Currently comics like Batgirl, even WW itself, Amethyst, ,firestorm, Green lantern, Constantine, etc all are on the chopping block(or were already canceled) at 30k or less comics sold per month. Thats where they stop being profitable.
But exactly that, its idiotic. You can't MAKE an IP profitable if you cancel the comic after 6 months. and try a new one. over and over.

If I were in charge, I would be selling Batman comics for 50c or less, and stick some of those unknown IPs in there as addons. In an attempt to actually build new IP.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
If you think selling the books for 50 cents would create a surge in interest in the medium you are wrong.
Put the comics up on the internet and charge a fee like netflix and I'll subscribe.

Oh, wait. Marvel does this and I haven't...

Good point, The Ancient.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just don't really care for superhero comics anymore, but the comics I do care for I can tell you the number 1 factor that prevents me from buying them is cost. 2 would probably be time. I love the Valiant universe but I just can't justify dropping 50-100 bucks per month and then storing them or whatever. And I haven't checked it out so maybe it is different now, but at the time I checked the digital edition cost was on par with the physical edition, which just seems absurd to me.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Put the comics up on the internet and charge a fee like netflix and I'll subscribe.

Oh, wait. Marvel does this and I haven't...

Good point, The Ancient.
Marvel does this for 6 month old comics. If they did this for current issues I would do it in a heartbeat.

I agree though the market probably would barely change though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
american comics should take the manga road, mangas are printed on shitty newspaper and no one collects them. so instead of focusing on stupid retarded 1 in 1000 variants to squeeze as much money out of the lonely comic collector, they should try to focus on value? story?

mainstream comics are horrible, peter parker will always be a dumb teen, oh look he got married? and he exposed his greatest secret, his identity? fuck it, time warp mephisto. mature peter parker is too difficult to write, dumb teen is easier.

oh look superman, is super, ah! kryptonite, pain!, ah!, thank you human batman, you don't have superpowers but you can take away the kyrptonite so i can punch the bad guy!

any tiny amount of innovation, they wipe away, for fear of changing the status quo and angering the 5 nerdy comic guys around.

we don't even have to talk about all the X-shit comics coming out, starring wolverine as the killer!, as the teacher!, as the surrogate father!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You say they should be like manga in the same post you complain about their absolutely ridiculous plot lines?!?!

Have you even read a manga, ever?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
naruto and bleach with their long in the tooth plot lines shouldn't be indicative of manga plots. we all know these two are being dbz'd for monies, i'd personally add berserk in there, but thats out of how many active mangas? 100.

Rime

<Donor>
If any of the 'big' comic companies did something along the lines of $10 a Month and read all of our comics as they come out, I would probably sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Hell, bump it to $15 and include the 50-60 years of back issues and you would have me for months.

Caliane

naruto and bleach with their long in the tooth plot lines shouldn't be indicative of manga plots. we all know these two are being dbz'd for monies, i'd personally add berserk in there, but thats out of how many active mangas? 100.
So why are you comparing mainstream American comics to not mainstream manga?

I don't know what the actual active manga count is. you say 100, but probably just making up a number.

Monthly American comics via Diamond.
Comic Book Sales Figures for July 2014

461 MONTHLY comics listed. And this is only via Diamond print sales/shipping.
Not including direct, or digital only.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
theres around 200ish japanese magazines that publish 1 to 20ish mangas each, these mags are either weekly,monthly or varies. so yea 100 is a super low ball, saying 2000 would be conservative.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Outhousers do a "moment of the week" thing every week with a page or two that stood out from a comic that week. Fun way to see shit to maybe get interested in.

Find Articles on The Outhouse - ...of the Week

15zl4ia.jpg

ve40vb.jpg

"They're all Thors"

BTW is that what the She Hulk comic looks like now? That art is awful.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
God damn, that artwork makes me want to give myself a bunch of mini-concussions in the hopes I forget it. Too bad, because the story itself might be interesting.

Caliane

thats even some of the better pages. its really bad at times. I'm all for trying new things, and breaking "house style". but yeah, not a fan of that.

I'm not sure Shocker would have ever seen or heard of Beta ray bill.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Going to share another comic (slightly older) with you guys. It's called Common Grounds. It's about this world of super heroes and super villains that have a truce any time they're at this one coffee shop. They talk to each other and reporters there. Really an interesting look into what it would be like to be a super hero. Or at least have super powers. Here's an excerpt from the 1st issue (6 issues total) behind a spoiler wall due to image size.

qbJFUXW.jpg

6NpfxEL.jpg

Ipg3FHE.jpg

Ej2wMOn.jpg

Here's a torrent for it if you're interested:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/10171...w_2004_rougher)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
thats pretty much a oneshot right? i don't ever remember any other mention of the inhumans afterwards in the ultimate universe.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I remember another story somewhere else in the Fantastic Four story line that they were involved with. I'll try and find it when I get home from work tonight.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Such bullshit. The inscription says you must be worthy, and this can't be overturned by revealing some deep dark secret only the Watcher has seen. I'm absolutely hating Original Sin.

rrr_img_73545.jpg

rrr_img_73546.jpg