Company of Heroes 2

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
I just got accepted into the beta and I'm downloading it now.

I was a huge fan of the first one for its single-player and online play.

Is anyone else in the beta yet?

Damn you !!! hell no im not waiting for this game like a mofo
Need some updates when you play fiending for any info

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Very interested in this, but I haven't been following that closely. At one point I was up at #9 in 1v1 ranked in Vanilla CoH. Long time ago now :\

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Loved the mechanics of CoH, but hated the balance. Anything more than 1v1 and it became a ranger/airborne fireup retard fest.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Not to mention the lame British mechanic with the officers, I get that the Brits in real life had a real man power and officer issue but I think it really gimped their play style in comparison to the US and German factions. If it wasn't for the Firefly I don't think I would have ever played as British.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Not to mention the lame British mechanic with the officers, I get that the Brits in real life had a real man power and officer issue but I think it really gimped their play style in comparison to the US and German factions. If it wasn't for the Firefly I don't think I would have ever played as British.
What!? Before they started nerfing the shit out of trenches, Brits were insanely OP. I used to exploit the hell out of their defensive bullshit. Especially in 2v2. Just turtle the fuck out of your points, while the other guy keeps up as much pressure as possible, and then watch as you lay down fucking Armageddon with 25lbers. Once trenches started getting the nerfhammer pretty hard, they were pretty shitty.

CoH is probably my favorite RTS, right next to SC, so I'm really looking forward to this. The only thing I'm nervous about is the balance and it being more than just a tech demo for whatever new engine Relic is likely going to use.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What!? Before they started nerfing the shit out of trenches, Brits were insanely OP. I used to exploit the hell out of their defensive bullshit. Especially in 2v2. Just turtle the fuck out of your points, while the other guy keeps up as much pressure as possible, and then watch as you lay down fucking Armageddon with 25lbers. Once trenches started getting the nerfhammer pretty hard, they were pretty shitty.

CoH is probably my favorite RTS, right next to SC, so I'm really looking forward to this. The only thing I'm nervous about is the balance and it being more than just a tech demo for whatever new engine Relic is likely going to use.
Trenches were definitely nice assuming you could get to the resource before your opponent. I mainly played 1v1 so maybe that colors my opinion but I always felt that if I lost a unit as the US or Germans I could recover, if I lost a Brit officer then I was going to be always behind as you couldn't do anything offensively with Brit infantry without at least 1 officer attached. Also being a newb at first and forgetting to cancel the trenches when leaving them was pretty hilarious.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just got accepted into the beta and I'm downloading it now.

I was a huge fan of the first one for its single-player and online play.

Is anyone else in the beta yet?
Is this shit even remotely balanced? CoH balance is fucking non existant, and it goes awesome with the shitty netcode.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Edit: Didn't see your first post way before that, do agree 1v1 is only real COH. Preferably Vanilla before British and 6+ months of invulnerable trenches and game breaking let me set my base down on the high fuel...

For those that are still interested in this, their facebook page is trading stress test keys for likes. My card is dead so all I can do is load in and watch some mechanics tutorial vids but otherwise blue screen upon starting a game. ;\

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I think this game will come out on the 23'rd they are balancing alot but there's alot of commanders that aren't available for testing yet.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
But how is the gameplay ? Cmon, have mercy on a poor fan of Company of Heroes that doesnt have time to play anymore, tell me something about this, is it good ?

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
It reminds me a lot of CoH one. From what I can see, you cant build ontop of the capture points except for the generic manpower ones.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
It reminds me a lot of CoH one. From what I can see, you cant build ontop of the capture points except for the generic manpower ones.
The generic Manpower ones no longer generate Manpower and instead generate 5 Munitions and 3 Fuel (can click on them to see it), then you can build an Outpost on top to generate either additional Munitions or Fuel. Gameplay is fantastic, the Commanders function much differently now. There are far more Commander choices, but they are much more shallow, with only 5 abilities each, that you achieve linearly (no longer selection from a tree). However, because there are so many Commanders, there are now more playstyles for each army and more off-map unit call ins as well (which I always enjoyed). The maps are pretty much what you would expect, snow maps are cool, the ice is a great feature as are the blizzards. I will definitely be picking it up as a long time Relic Fanboy.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
There's no more global vet like Wehrmacht had in coh1

You can build only on the generic manpower points and almost all points are manpower points, it's alot harder to gas starve people, but on the other hand if you use alot of tank you need alot more gas than 1-2 minor gas points built on manpower points.

The graphics are excellent! fire is redone and the sounds are great, the battles are more open on the Russian steppe than cramped western Europe, the maps are nice I detested choke point maps in coh1 and I don't see any in coh2.

the germans can doctrine call in a mortar halftrack, a panzer 4 shortbarrel that is a command tank with armor bonus aura, the elephant tank destroyer or tiger tank as call ins and the russian can call in two T-34-85's, is2, kv1(flamethrower version) or isu-152 and airpower on both sides is more even this version (call ins). the t-34-76 is sufficiently cheap and squishy but very useful especially with it's ability to ram other tanks and disable them. also there are now like 5 different disabling status effects for tanks, and best of all you can sometimes instead of kill a tank, kill it's crew who abandon the vehicle, then you can try to recrew and steal it if you want,.stole an isu-152 once thing was beastly.

The firing distances are much better in this version, the elephant and isu-152 have a range of atleast 2 full screens.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I think the balance should be better just because there are only 2 factions. The T-34's are way to squishy IMO, until the German gets Tigers or Panthers the Soviet should have an advantage over the PzIV. Instead they suck aside from ramming the german tanks for them to sit still to be easy targets for your AT guns or IL-2's. Soviet infantry is already inferior unless you want to sock a shit load of points into shock troops which leaves you with not much else for units. My only luck with the Soviets so far is starting out Sniper/Scout Car and just roaming around picking off the germans while they chase you to panzerfaust you, any type of lag will ruin it though.

All in all I do think it's better than CoH1 and I've been playing it a lot, I want to continue but I'm not sure it's worth the $60 for the release version. Anybody know of any deals?

Edit: As far as the ice maps, I like them but then I don't. They are really easy to setup some stupidly succesful ambushes by using engineers to lay mines or detonation charges by the fire pits which is hilarious. Then again promoting you to sit idle in any RTS is pretty wierd. Forgot the name of the map where there is a big frozen river in the middle but seeing a tank go under the water was probaby worth the annoyance of rushing my troops to fire pits.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I from playing beta, so far hate it over vanilla COH post many needed patches. (So hopefully this will mature well over time, no idea if they have the people to get it right though.) I'd say for sure better than the retardation that was COH soon after PE/Brits added. The perfect chess like balance of VCOH late in the game was what made the game, at most every tier so many small choices to make based on scouting/reacting.

Blizzard maps seem to just draw the game out needlessly and make sorta a cease fire time. Pro's will make do and end games though against someone who is paralyzed by noobness. At no point during blizzards do I sit and think gee this is fun. Ice pond hazards, great.

I miss the old resource system too. A few over the top choke maps aside, choosing what to try and hold and cutting off lines was another reason COH had good depth. New system makes it more risk style just hold as much broad territory as possible, doesn't matter where too much, just take it and build a cap.