Company Raises It's Minimum Wage to $70,000 and All Hell Breaks Loose

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The less I have to interact with the mongoloids working at a typical fast food restaurant, the better. Praise be to higher minimum wages.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
And this is an unintended consequence of raising the minimum wage. There always are unintended consequences of altering things in capitalism. Pay attention to the part in the article where the rest of the industry is trying to do the same, in response to a rise in expected minimum wages.

You can't legislate what the market will charge, the market will find a way around it.

At This New Fast-Food Restaurant, Human Interaction Is Almost Zero
I guess you've never been to a sheetz or wawa. That kinda stuff has been happening forever man. Saying it's correlated to raising minimum wage is ridiculous. Companies have been trying to automate people out of jobs since the industrial revolution.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess you've never been to a sheetz or wawa. That kinda stuff has been happening forever man. Saying it's correlated to raising minimum wage is ridiculous. Companies have been trying to automate people out of jobs since the industrial revolution.
It's not my article.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Lyrical.
If they could build a robot that does the work of one of your worker, you would buy it. Regardless of minimum wage or not. In fact you already do. They are called "your tools."

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's absolutely nothing new, but the whole point is to illustrate that automation is becoming more and more affordable and profitable. Invariably lower tech costs and higher wages mean you reach that gap much more quickly. Even if it costs 20% more for reliability, no HR issues, no FMLA, no sick days, no feelings, no car accidents taking your only competent employee in one department, no cross-training, less insurance cost in some cases (just liability), etc.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's absolutely nothing new, but the whole point is to illustrate that automation is becoming more and more affordable and profitable. Invariably lower tech costs and higher wages mean you reach that gap much more quickly. Even if it costs 20% more for reliability, no HR issues, no FMLA, no sick days, no feelings, no car accidents taking your only competent employee in one department, no cross-training, less insurance cost in some cases (just liability), etc.
From how I read the article, it's not really anything on a new level - it says the "customer service experience" is managed by machines. That doesn't necessarily include the backside of the house.

So it's just ordering terminals with a slot to receive the items. Not really that high tech or new.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Raising wages certainly has the potential to speed up the automation process as it becomes more cost effective to do so. But if we automate all our jobs we are removing a huge amount of buying power and stifling the economy and it should be easy enough to legislate around that.

I gotta be honest though, I am very guilty of using self check out lines wherever they are available. I'm a hypocrite.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I gotta be honest though, I am very guilty of using self check out lines wherever they are available. I'm a hypocrite.
Had some old lady behind me in a regular line a few weeks ago during my weekly large grocery trip. I clearly had ~$150 worth of items to check out and she was behind me for a few minutesbeforethe cashier got to my order. Every single time the cashier moved to a new bag to put my stuff in I heard this loud sigh. I turned around and she had two items in her hand. As long as people like that exist, companies will need humans to do things. Currently the people most likely to not care one way or another have spent the majority of their life communicating through a device of some sort.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
why didn't you let her go ahead of you? shitlord.

It would have been hilarious of next time moontayey let the old lady with two items go, and then the old ladies process to pay $3.93 with pennies.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love the self checkout. I was in there a couple days ago and some old lady (employee of the store) was trying to help me and fucking up the machine with every item. I think she finally realized that she was not being helpful and just walked off. I felt bad for her, but I am a self checkout ninja and she was doing everything wrong.

There are people who really believe that the days of humans working at all might be limited. This is a long video but it's pretty interesting.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I wonder how the economy and feminism will cope with the first round of job cuts. It seems the first 'obvious' place to remove jobs would be to trend back to single income families. At the same time, I know some people who work and barely make enough money to cover their expenses (car/gas/work stuff/business clothing/etc.) and childcare... yet they still work. Childcare facilities are serious $$ these days. It's going to be an interesting transition over the next few decades. I have to imagine the initial shift will be tomoreservice based and niche businesses (ie, Iwill gladlypay 20% more to get 'humancare'!).

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yeah, we did childcare when my kids were toddlers and eventually my wife sat down and worked out the numbers and found out it was more beneficial for us for her to cut down to Part Time and work on my days off (at the time I worked 12hr shifts, rotating 3 or 4 days a week) so we had 100% kid coverage.

During my schooling my social studies requirement had me in a class about the 60s. One section was devoted toward the millions of housewives developing psychological issues stemming from the post-WW2 society. Those in the rising middle class didn't need to work, and society expected them to stay at home, but they didn't necessarily want that. Here we are fifty years later and it's pretty much reversed. A woman who wants to stay at home is unable to because the stagnation of wages forces many to have to work in order to keep up with expenses.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah childcare is stupid, stupid expensive. My parents lucked out that my aunt was willing to watch us while my mom went to work for pretty minimal pay.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
New York state APPROVES $15 minimum wage for fast-food workers | Daily Mail Online

New York state will gradually raise the minimum wage for fast-food workers to $15 an hour - the first time any state has set the minimum that high.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration formally approved the increase Thursday - a move the Democratic governor announced at a labor rally with Vice President Joe Biden. Cuomo said he will work to pass legislation setting a $15 minimum for all industries - a promise that comes as more and more cities around the country move toward a $15 minimum wage.
Apparently it's just fast food workers if I read that right. Other industries to follow later. So those making $9-$14 in non fast food are fucked.