Company Raises It's Minimum Wage to $70,000 and All Hell Breaks Loose

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
He might also just be completely full of shit about the sacrifices he's making to make it seem like he's being altruistic.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Meh, everything I've read about this company and the owner leads me to believe he's more than a little bit out there. Hardcore christian upbringing (that he's mostly walked away from), unshakable optimism to the point of naivete, and so on. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes goofy decisions. That being said, it's not unusual for an entrepreneur to plow absolutely everything they own in to their business. A lot of them are just wired differently. And if they weren't, they wouldn't take the risks that they do and therefore wouldn't build some occasionally pretty amazing things. This guy's company though isn't anything special or unique. It's a payment processing company, as far as I understand it. That's a slim margin business. I doubt they can be competitive if they have a much higher cost structure than their competitors.
It's slim margin, but I'm pretty damn sure most of that is actually operations costs to the hardware more than staffing costs. I'd be shocked if over 20% (I'd honestly guess they're closer to 10%) of their business costs are payroll even after the raises.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I was just going to say that Vaclac. His business has limited need to expand the workforce as it can scale with hardware instead of humans. Think about how the salesmen he no longer needs to hire nor pay for advertising. Once they have a new client hooked into their system its pretty low touch beyond accounting and billing and the occasional troubleshooting which can be 3rd partied.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Its also cheaper for a company to pay one person 70k/yr than two employees making 35k/yr. So if the company can eek out more productivity from the staff via a higher wage it can be better for the company than hiring more bodies which require insurance, 401k, PTO, etc etc.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its also cheaper for a company to pay one person 70k/yr than two employees making 35k/yr. So if the company can eek out more productivity from the staff via a higher wage it can be better for the company than hiring more bodies which require insurance, 401k, PTO, etc etc.
Indeed - that's the "break point" I was trying to refer to - it's pretty rare for one person to equal two people though. But also as you stated, non-salary compensation is a factor in all the math as well. If benefits cost the same and you were offering the equivalent of $80k w/ benefits before that $25k raise makes a smaller dent than $25k raise vs. $45k appears at a glance. (Although not entirely so, since NSC is taxed differently as well - so it's weighed differently in most payrolls)

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Indeed - that's the "break point" I was trying to refer to - it's pretty rare for one person to equal two people though. But also as you stated, non-salary compensation is a factor in all the math as well. If benefits cost the same and you were offering the equivalent of $80k w/ benefits before that $25k raise makes a smaller dent than $25k raise vs. $45k appears at a glance. (Although not entirely so, since NSC is taxed differently as well - so it's weighed differently in most payrolls)
Yeah the 2:1 was just for the purpose of clarity. But you can somewhat expect 20 people making 50k (1m) to do the work of 25 people making 40k if the 20 are the best at their field since you're paying them more than industry average.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
7 year bump!

This guy spends the next 7 years running a very successful company despite all the naysayers and people calling him a communist, now is getting #metooed.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
7 year bump!

This guy spends the next 7 years running a very successful company despite all the naysayers and people calling him a communist, now is getting #metooed.

Cant read. Is it something substantial or just women regretting letting the dude piss on them?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cant read. Is it something substantial or just women regretting letting the dude piss on them?
I made the mistake of skimming it. Some chick he was in a relationship with him is claiming she took an edible and went to bed after they had a fight, and although she was conscious and lucid when he tried to initiate sex she was 'too scared to say no' so it was rape.

• 1Tiresome

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Remember when they were too worried about a sock in the mouth to do this kind of shit?

Make Beating Women Okay Again.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This sums it up better with lots of pics of the chick. He wanted to be the woke CEO and then he used that pick up the kinda girls that are into being woke. Now he got metooed by them. This a get what you deserve kinda story.

This doesnt seem to fit the bill of being "metoo'd";

Price was charged earlier this year with misdemeanor assault and reckless driving after he allegedly attempted to kiss the woman following a business meeting and then grabbed her by the throat when she blocked his advances.

After the alleged altercation, Price allegedly performed “doughnuts” in his Tesla while she was still in the car, according to the Seattle Times. Price pleaded not guilty to the charge in May and has denied wrongdoing.

Charged with an actual crime, and going for the throat is a pretty big red flag. Thats the clearest sign youre dealing with a true fucked up person v someone who doesnt just give a shit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I was just going to say that Vaclac. His business has limited need to expand the workforce as it can scale with hardware instead of humans. Think about how the salesmen he no longer needs to hire nor pay for advertising. Once they have a new client hooked into their system its pretty low touch beyond accounting and billing and the occasional troubleshooting which can be 3rd partied.
Just saw this one.

LOOOOOOL.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Thats not how anything B2B works, especially with something as competitive and complex as the payment processing industry. Yes, you do scale, but you still need tons of salespeople, customer relationship managers, implementation and support people, while also having continual development, in order to gain and retain customers.

I work with a couple of the big dogs in this industry, doing both contact center design/implementation and payment processing IVR stuff, for payments coming in from all over the world in every possible currency. These clients of mine have their own customers that have every level of technical sophistication, from little shops in Singapore processing gift card transactions to using the latest and greatest cloud APIs. It's a lot of goddamn work to keep everything running and retain business while also onboarding new customers. The "occasional troubleshooting" thing is a joke anytime you're doing any kind of B2B stuff via the internet. The customers are always going to blame your systems when it's usually their shitty network.

Being super woke on LinkedIn (via a ghostwriter in many cases, according to one of the articles) likely helped him get a niche of customers, and it appears he kept what appeared to be relatively happy employees with his business model and the way they handled their shift to remote work. Sounds like the guy just tried to spend his woke points on something other than business and got burned in the most stereotypical of ways.
This doesnt seem to fit the bill of being "metoo'd";

Charged with an actual crime, and going for the throat is a pretty big red flag. Thats the clearest sign youre dealing with a true fucked up person v someone who doesnt just give a shit.
One of the assault charges was already dropped.

I think this guy pissed off the anti-remote-work/anti-being-decent-to-your-employees mafia but that's just like my opinion man. It's certainly conceivable that he's really a predator, but I think he was specifically targeted for his very public views and possible political ambitions.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
His first assault was in 2013 before he was famous and when he was making big CEO bucks. They dropped the charge because they got paid. This guy seems like a man child to me. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was giving chicks the Cosby treatment.

• 1Like