Company Raises It's Minimum Wage to $70,000 and All Hell Breaks Loose

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Raising the minimum wage creates an inflationary pressure. Inflation effectively reduces the values of the currency. Reducing the value of the currency reduces the US debt burden.
Owing someone 1,000$ in 1900 is very different to owing someone 1,000$ in 2000. Speeding such a process helps with the HUGE debt the US has.
Not all inflation is created equal. Dont conflate demand push inflation with inflation caused by increases of the monetary base. Increasing min wage will lead to higher demand for goods which will increase prices. This will be the inflation until the market corrects itself by producing more goods.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Raising the minimum wage creates an inflationary pressure. Inflation effectively reduces the values of the currency. Reducing the value of the currency reduces the US debt burden.
Owing someone 1,000$ in 1900 is very different to owing someone 1,000$ in 2000. Speeding such a process helps with the HUGE debt the US has.
As long as we're the generally accepted reserve currency technically, right?

Doesn't this not work if we stop being the reserve currency for the majority of the world?

moontayle

Golden Squire
I fear the day our currency becomes Zimbabwe-esque and hope it doesn't occur while I'm still here.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Ok, with the phrasing of the question that changes things quite a bit. If it's the entire state/world that is in the 25k/50k or 100k/200k then it isn't about prestige anymore, the prices of goods would be pegged to how much people make and thus being in the upper bracket no matter the number makes you an economic winner.

Regarding minimum wage not being livable. Around here minimum wage is for entry positions, student jobs, extra job to supplement main salary of the household or for retirees (and foreign workers). Those aren't jobs you're supposed to support a family with, you don't make a career of it.

Vinen

God is dead
Ok, with the phrasing of the question that changes things quite a bit. If it's the entire state/world that is in the 25k/50k or 100k/200k then it isn't about prestige anymore, the prices of goods would be pegged to how much people make and thus being in the upper bracket no matter the number makes you an economic winner.

Regarding minimum wage not being livable. Around here minimum wage is for entry positions, student jobs, extra job to supplement main salary of the household or for retirees (and foreign workers). Those aren't jobs you're supposed to support a family with, you don't make a career of it.
Same in the US.

moontayle

Golden Squire
At the same time, local economics can force people into minimum wage positions if the job they are qualified for just isn't there. I was in such a situation when I first moved to WNY. Wife had her job lined up (which is why we moved) but data center and/or NOC work was slim. Literally the day I was set to interview for a seasonal stocking job (one I didn't have a guarantee of keeping after the holidays) I got a NOC job offer so I didn't need to go through with it. Plenty of people are not so lucky.

There is no silver bullet to this situation. Everything has downsides but if we do nothing then nothing is exactly what will change.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There is no silver bullet to this situation. Everything has downsides but if we do nothing then nothing is exactly what will change.
Why do you think that job would have been available for you if the minimum wage were higher? If a business could afford 6 employees at $8, do you think it would mysteriously be able to afford 6 employees at $12 or do you think it would have to cut down to 4?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why do you think that job would have been available for you if the minimum wage were higher? If a business could afford 6 employees at $8, do you think it would mysteriously be able to afford 6 employees at $12 or do you think it would have to cut down to 4?
Areas that have raised minimum wage have often kept their staffing numbers after the wage increase (I'd say always - they've always in the reports I've seen but I'm sure there's some that go the other way too). More than likely because the same wages that cost them more also give them more business which then demands more staffing to account for it, I'd imagine. (Although the actual data hasn't ever had the reasoning explicitly stated in the ones I've seen)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That is not strictly true, though. There have been a number of restaurant closures in Seattle where while not specifically paraded as a cause (politics and it's only up to $11/hr right now IIRC) the $15 minimum was a factor in closing the business. Restaurant jobs steadily went up post recession every year culminating at 1.5% increase in 2013... followed by a stark reversal to -.1% in 2014 because of the minor minimum wage increase. So in some sense it's true 'no jobs have been lost'ifyou ignore the jobs going missing that would have been created and the owners getting out of a cutthroat industry right before they start losing money. When you account for the ever increasing population, there is proportional job loss.

moontayle

Golden Squire
You must have missed the "seasonal" part of my tale. The presence of those jobs are not going to change just because of an adjustment to minimum wage. Big retailers like Walmart, Target and other box stores like them will need those extra hands to deal with the increased sales volume and need to keep things stocked.

Most restaurants operate at really thin margins so some closing up shop doesn't surprise me. That said, there was probably something they could have done to mitigate the increase.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If a business can't afford to pay its employees a livable wage that business probably isn't serving an important, or very needed function. Or it's run like shit.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
If a business can't afford to pay its employees a livable wage that business probably isn't serving an important, or very needed function. Or it's run like shit.
Seriously... The example given though a very simple one illustrates a critical error in his thinking. Wages are not determined by company income. They never are, and never will be except for the CEO/Director types. Just because a company chooses to pay 6 people $8 an hour doesn't mean they can't afford 6 at $12 an hour. How many business out there make millions/billions of dollars, but refuse to give raises out? That's certainly not because they can't afford it.

A little side note. I tend to believe that 4 employees at $12 an hour perform a hell of a lot better than 6 employees at $8.00 an hour.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seriously... The example given though a very simple one illustrates a critical error in his thinking. Wages are not determined by company income. They never are, and never will be except for the CEO/Director types. Just because a company chooses to pay 6 people $8 an hour doesn't mean they can't afford 6 at $12 an hour. How many business out there make millions/billions of dollars, but refuse to give raises out? That's certainly not because they can't afford it.

A little side note. I tend to believe that 4 employees at $12 an hour perform a hell of a lot better than 6 employees at $8.00 an hour.
I can relate to this, our overall GMAS when things go according to plan is usually 30-40% which is pretty damn good for business. If things always did that we could easily afford to give raises instead of bonuses, but if we gave every single person of our 900 front line staff even +$1/h and had a bad month we'd be at a loss instead of a profit (depending on client needs, staffing forecasts etc). Kind of a bit volatile when I look at it that way.

I must say though, its somewhat nice being able to control costs based on what province they are hired into in CA.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
An article pointed out this week if you took the total profit for Wendeys and divided by number of workers they would $11/hour before they ran out of money and that inclues all works, not just the minimum wage ones currently.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
NM, you guys are right. There's no such thing as small businesses, payroll is a minor expense, raising the minimum wage wouldn't impact anyone's bottom line or prices it would just give all the poor people more money. You solved it guys, Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell are idiots. Good work.