Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I mean power/performance settings.

But more broadly, if I bought a new laptop with those specs and it can't run the OS smoothly, I'm just returning that shit.

I think you were onto something, I switched power mode from "balanced" to "performance" and I think the lag is gone. Gonna need to test it with more rigorous work like editing software in unplugged mode later on and see how that goes, but at a glance here that did seem to fix a lot. Hopefully I don't have to return anything because I already spent a few hours setting this one up and testing things on it.

Still likely gonna up the RAM from 16 to 64 though. It's got two slots and a maximum of 64 total, and you can get a pair of 32GB Corsair sticks for like $150 (probably less on sale).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think you were onto something, I switched power mode from "balanced" to "performance" and I think the lag is gone. Gonna need to test it with more rigorous work like editing software in unplugged mode later on and see how that goes, but at a glance here that did seem to fix a lot. Hopefully I don't have to return anything because I already spent a few hours setting this one up and testing things on it.

Still likely gonna up the RAM from 16 to 64 though. It's got two slots and a maximum of 64 total, and you can get a pair of 32GB Corsair sticks for like $150 (probably less on sale).
Well there's nothing wrong with upgrading ram and nvme as those are free real estate, but tbh I wouldn't bother if I can't get basic performance out of it, since I'm sure that cost more than $499.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Not sure what you mean, but I did run the troubleshooter for power settings and it came back with no issues.

Noticed that all the little lag bumps are more of a problem when it isn't plugged in, i.e. running off the battery.
when laptop isn't plugged in, it is in limp noodle mode

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So I consolidated everything down to just the one PC I have. I feel like it'll be cheaper in the long run just keeping one PC at peak or near peak consumer grade tech. Ive got multiple monitors and a TV hooked up. My two main monitors are side by side, butted up to each so the seam is almost unnoticeable. But the third monitor has my Ring Camera's on it, and thats off in the corner, and then I have a TV thats on the neighboring wall. Ive got all the wiring ran in the walls properly and it all looks really clean and "snazzy!"

My "Computer Issue" comes in the part that, since not all of the monitors are in my direct view all at the same time.. Im losing my mouse cursor from time to time and Ive gotta spaz out on my mouse a bit just to find it. I'm hoping there is a way to lock the cursor to a screen, and if I want to change something on another screen - I just hold down SHIFT and it'll let me drag the mouse to the other screens (theoretical example)? Thanks

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
So I consolidated everything down to just the one PC I have. I feel like it'll be cheaper in the long run just keeping one PC at peak or near peak consumer grade tech. Ive got multiple monitors and a TV hooked up. My two main monitors are side by side, butted up to each so the seam is almost unnoticeable. But the third monitor has my Ring Camera's on it, and thats off in the corner, and then I have a TV thats on the neighboring wall. Ive got all the wiring ran in the walls properly and it all looks really clean and "snazzy!"

My "Computer Issue" comes in the part that, since not all of the monitors are in my direct view all at the same time.. Im losing my mouse cursor from time to time and Ive gotta spaz out on my mouse a bit just to find it. I'm hoping there is a way to lock the cursor to a screen, and if I want to change something on another screen - I just hold down SHIFT and it'll let me drag the mouse to the other screens (theoretical example)? Thanks
do you have powertoys?

double click ctrl is find my mouse

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
do you have powertoys?

double click ctrl is find my mouse
I dont have powertoys, but outside of finding my mouse cursor with it, I dont see where I can lock my cursor to certain displays? Or is that all you're suggesting?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I dont have powertoys, but outside of finding my mouse cursor with it, I dont see where I can lock my cursor to certain displays? Or is that all you're suggesting?
i just thought you couldn't find it, double tap ctrl helps
powertoys is free btw

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like there was something in something that let you bring your mouse back to center of main monitor with a hotkey combo.

Hell if I remember where that was though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Going to upgrade this new laptop from 16 GB to 64 GB. Checked the prompt and it has two slots, capacity on both is 32.

I don't know much about RAM, so I'm not too sure what to get:

Is there really that substantial of a difference between these $130 DDR4 sticks and the DDR5 sticks that cost twice as much? Any preference between Corsair and Crucial?

Not doing any heavy duty modern gaming or anything on here, extent of gaming is going to be EQ and stuff from like 2005 at the latest. Most RAM usage I'll ever use is in video editing. Right now the 16 GB isn't really cutting it because of my propensity to have a lot of tabs open and work on 6 things at once. It's passable but I'd rather just up it and be done with it. Rest of the specs are solid.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Going to upgrade this new laptop from 16 GB to 64 GB. Checked the prompt and it has two slots, capacity on both is 32.

I don't know much about RAM, so I'm not too sure what to get:

Is there really that substantial of a difference between these $130 DDR4 sticks and the DDR5 sticks that cost twice as much? Any preference between Corsair and Crucial?

Not doing any heavy duty modern gaming or anything on here, extent of gaming is going to be EQ and stuff from like 2005 at the latest. Most RAM usage I'll ever use is in video editing. Right now the 16 GB isn't really cutting it because of my propensity to have a lot of tabs open and work on 6 things at once. It's passable but I'd rather just up it and be done with it. Rest of the specs are solid.

DDR 4 and 5 aren't compatible I don't think. You should go with the generation your laptop motherboard supports.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
DDR 4 and 5 aren't compatible I don't think. You should go with the generation your laptop motherboard supports.

That makes the choice fairly easy, think the computer is DDR4. I'm guessing there isn't much difference between the brands.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looks like it doesn't matter, the RAM is soldered on. One slot, anyway. Lame, unless laptops have to do that due to their nature of moving around. Second slot is open, though. I guess I could add 32 to that for an oddball total of 48.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Update, switched it back out for a different one:

All my laptops have been 16GB and none had lag like the other one.

Well, this new one also has the RAM soldered on. Can't tell if there's a second slot, at least not until it gets here. There shouldn't be any lag even if it's just 16 though. Hopefully this one works better. Might add 32 more to it if it has a second slot. It's DDR5 but it doesn't say if it has an extra slot.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Update, switched it back out for a different one:

All my laptops have been 16GB and none had lag like the other one.

Well, this new one also has the RAM soldered on. Can't tell if there's a second slot, at least not until it gets here. There shouldn't be any lag even if it's just 16 though. Hopefully this one works better. Might add 32 more to it if it has a second slot. It's DDR5 but it doesn't say if it has an extra slot.

Why not just get a good one?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think I'm done building my own machines at this point. My freezing issues started again and the RMA process for every company out there, every single one, is fucking abysmal.

I narrowed it down to the processor after replacing (or switching out) every other component. MSI was completely unresponsive so I bought the same board from Amazon and returned the old one in the new box because fuck them. Intel is equally as unresponsive. What a nightmare.

It's worth the premium to not have to do this for every single component in a system when trying to troubleshoot.