Computer Issues

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
3,244
5,299
The second monitor is connected via HDMI. Maybe there's a way to make it flag that was a physically larger device as opposed to flagging the laptop as physically smaller.
The issue is probably not resolution, but scaling and/or DPI/PPI values.
Right click on the desktop -> Desktop Settings.
Click on one monitor in the upper view (where you arrange your displays), scroll down to "Scale & layout" and look at the "Scale" value.
Scroll up, click the OTHER monitor and scroll down back to "Scale & Layout" and compare.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
16,809
19,193
The issue is probably not resolution, but scaling and/or DPI/PPI values.
Right click on the desktop -> Desktop Settings.
Click on one monitor in the upper view (where you arrange your displays), scroll down to "Scale & layout" and look at the "Scale" value.
Scroll up, click the OTHER monitor and scroll down back to "Scale & Layout" and compare.
Good advice, thanks.
 

sole

Molten Core Raider
398
1,400
The PC in my spare bedroom is having issues with EXPO, maybe someone here has encountered this. The problem started a couple of days ago, out of no where, no hardware/software changes at all.

7700x, 32GB DDR5. If I cold boot the PC, it starts right up, however if I restart the PC, it takes 5-20 minutes. There are four mobo LEDs (VGA, BOOT, CPU, DRAM). During the restart cycle, the CPU/DRAM LEDs just keep bouncing off of each other for 5-20 minutes. Once they stop blinking back and forth, it'll stay on DRAM for about 10-20 seconds for training, then it posts and boots. I've tried damn near every memory setting in the BIOS (memory context restore, gear down, power down, etc.) and nothing makes a difference except turning off EXPO and then it boots fine whether it's a cold boot or a restart.

I'm thinking the CPU and RAM can't get a proper handshake during restarts, whether that's a memory controller, degraded timings, I have no idea. I guess that's the part where I'd like to see if anyone else has experienced this. What's odd is that the memory tests fine with EXPO or JEDEC, but restarting the PC with EXPO enabled is straight maddening.

I can either just never restart the PC and only do shutdowns, or run JEDEC and have it work fine. Kinda sucks because the 7700x really benefits from EXPO, and I think whatever is causing the handshake issue between the CPU/RAM during restarts might become a bigger problem later on. Weird issue, thanks for any insight.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sole

Molten Core Raider
398
1,400
Update on the dumbass PC in my spare bedroom: Peripherals started randomly disconnecting, not recognizing anything I plug into the USB-C ports, etc. Mobo is dying.

Going to replace it and upgrade the CPU to a 9800x3d. Problem solved.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,249
20,202
Update on the dumbass PC in my spare bedroom: Peripherals started randomly disconnecting, not recognizing anything I plug into the USB-C ports, etc. Mobo is dying.

Going to replace it and upgrade the CPU to a 9800x3d. Problem solved.
Don't rule out the PSU too. Is it old?
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sole

Molten Core Raider
398
1,400
Don't rule out the PSU too. Is it old?
Man I thought the same when the perifs started dropping in and out. It's a 3 year old EVGA 850w, so should still have plenty of miles left on it. Took the PSU out of my main PC over the weekend just to be sure and still same issues. Extremely confident it's the mobo at this point. Good lookin out though, I appreciate it.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,249
20,202
Man I thought the same when the perifs started dropping in and out. It's a 3 year old EVGA 850w, so should still have plenty of miles left on it. Took the PSU out of my main PC over the weekend just to be sure and still same issues. Extremely confident it's the mobo at this point. Good lookin out though, I appreciate it.
Yeah that makes sense, that's a good test. Sounds like Mobo to me too