Computer Issues

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it's what I'm starting to suspect as well. Although, I did turn on MSI Afterburner while playing and noticed my GPU reached 79c(not insanely hot, but pretty fucking up there). Adjusted my autofan settings for it and hoping that helps. I'm so ready to do a rebuild on this fucking machine. I've had it since summer of 2012(top of the line back then), but I've just been patchworking it since then and this year it's really starting to show its age.
I feel like Power Supply problems tend to result in just instant restart of computer without a freeze or bsod or anything. Most other failures will freeze, bsod, or fail during boot.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Plenty of reason for a power supply to cause a freeze if it's unstable/failing. Minor drop in voltage/frequency can cause a video card or other piece of hardware to have a brief issue because of that sudden change in power and boom, frozen PC or BSOD or other symptom that doesn't have to be an instant restart.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Plenty of reason for a power supply to cause a freeze if it's unstable/failing. Minor drop in voltage/frequency can cause a video card or other piece of hardware to have a brief issue because of that sudden change in power and boom, frozen PC or BSOD or other symptom that doesn't have to be an instant restart.
Yeah, I'm not saying it's the only things to go wrong, I'm just saying when you're getting specifically that type of failure that's usually the cause

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't know if i should post it here or in the networking thread... everything seems like it's an issue with my pc specifically so i'll ask here.

Problem: my internet connection on my pc is extremely slow (100kbps at most) and sometimes it just loses connection with the net altogether.

everything was fine a few days ago. i went to bed, and when i woke up my pc connection took a nosedive. i thought it might be my ISP provider specifically, but every other connection seems to be running normally.

my setup is a little jank, but it's been working for a few years. the main router is in another building on the property (my parents house). i have a wifi extender in my house that boosts their wifi signal so i can use it. i have my pc wired to the extender and everything else uses the wifi (ps4, phone, etc)

my phone gets about 8mpbs on average and usually my pc gets about 10-15mpbs. i've done the usual fixes, restarting the pc/extender/router multiple times, updated drivers, reseating everything... nothing seems to make any kind of difference.

any ideas why something like that would happen?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well i failed upwards... i tried everything i could think of, resigned to the idea that the network card was going bad. on my phone i started looking at prices and... well everything started working all by itself. my pc went from getting about 13 mpbs on average a few days ago, to next to nothing the last 2 days, and now it's at 97.4 mbps. wtf.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My displays are being put to sleep by Windows despite having every power option for such things disabled. Has anyone encountered this or know of a way to reset all power settings?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My displays are being put to sleep by Windows despite having every power option for such things disabled. Has anyone encountered this or know of a way to reset all power settings?
are you plugging in devices to your monitor? theres a setting called usb selective suspend on power... lemme find a screenshot

eh, wife is on win10 pc

it's adv power settings - usb settings - usb selective suspend, and expand

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
are you plugging in devices to your monitor? theres a setting called usb selective suspend on power... lemme find a screenshot

eh, wife is on win10 pc

it's adv power settings - usb settings - usb selective suspend, and expand
No, and that setting is already disabled.

Argarth

On the verandah

A long time ago I had a problem with Windows changing my power plan "by itself" occasionally. Thought I might have had a corrupted profile, so I deleted and reinstalled them.

Not sure if this is your issue but it might help. I've only 2 now - "Ultimate Performance" and "Bitsum Highest Performance" (bundled w/Process Lasso), both manually installed.

Swap to one you never use, and then delete your "suspect" profile. I used Command Prompt Option 2.

Re-install the one you want and swap back. Good luck.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Eh some displays have sleep mode built in too also right? Or do they note? unsure i've never had this mentioned issue.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Somehow the screen saver shit got enabled, but it was fucking up and causing a black screen and wasn't showing anything. Half the time trying to wake up from it was also causing a system freeze.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Somehow the screen saver shit got enabled, but it was fucking up and causing a black screen and wasn't showing anything. Half the time trying to wake up from it was also causing a system freeze.
only 90s kids know

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
only 90s kids know

giphy.gif

• 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
so i've got something a bit new to me....
I was going through my startup apps and i found something called "Program" this to me is odd... so i decided to run "Autoruns" great little program that literally shows everything that's running during bootup and i found what you see in the screenshot below listed under "Boot Execute"
When i track taht down to the registry it takes you to the final screenshot.
Now i do not know if "program" is even linked to this... so my few questions are. Does anyone know how to figure out what "program" is linked to?
Has anyone else seen the crazy japanese that i am getting? Searching online gets me nothing, so i turn to you all.

Startup Apps
1596767117883.png

From Autoruns
1596767382304.png

Registry
1596767540187.png

I am tempted to just delete all this crap, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. Yes if you want i can copy and paste the entire Chinese to here, it's pretty long actually.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
It's probably just gibberish and an orphaned registry entry. Something didn't uninstall completely, Run Ccleaner registry and it should disappear.

Also check Task Manager > Startup tab
If it shows there, right click any column header and select command line and it will show path.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
It's probably just gibberish and an orphaned registry entry. Something didn't uninstall completely, Run Ccleaner registry and it should disappear.

Also check Task Manager > Startup tab
If it shows there, right click any column header and select command line and it will show path.

thanks for the command line location:
1596772948345.png

no idea what it is, i'll be getting rid of it (there is no folder for it, but i can clean up the registry)
will also get ccleaner to see what else i can find.
Thank man :)

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
np. it looks like its the teams installer MS is nice enough to place on your computer at no extra charge :p

Here's an article about the very issue. Appears to be a MS fuckup in the path - in the comments of the article is a registry fix for it.

• 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Let me know if there's a better place to post this...

Anyone know of a way to manually clear an iPad's cache? Not the browser cache -- but the third party / system cache. My mom's iPad has a whopping 6GB of "Other" showing in the iPad storage. It sounds like this is system cache and app cache. However, the individual apps themselves don't show that their consuming this memory. So it sounds like some random temp files (guessing from my Windows experience) has been left hanging around.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let me know if there's a better place to post this...

Anyone know of a way to manually clear an iPad's cache? Not the browser cache -- but the third party / system cache. My mom's iPad has a whopping 6GB of "Other" showing in the iPad storage. It sounds like this is system cache and app cache. However, the individual apps themselves don't show that their consuming this memory. So it sounds like some random temp files (guessing from my Windows experience) has been left hanging around.
if it's a mom ipad, it's probably safari cache, it depends on the ios ver, but from settings go into safari itself and there will be a clear history option.

note safari is a core program, so it won't be listed as other programs it'll be like an option like mail settings or siri settings.