Computer Issues

ShakyJake

<Donor>
if it's a mom ipad, it's probably safari cache, it depends on the ios ver, but from settings go into safari itself and there will be a clear history option.

note safari is a core program, so it won't be listed as other programs it'll be like an option like mail settings or siri settings.
Tried that, didn't make a noticeable dent.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Did you delete a bunch of pictures recently? IIRC iOS doesn't actually delete them but hides them for 30 days. I think you can force delete it tho.

Cybsled

Did the recent windows update fuck sound for anyone else? I’ve lost all sound since updating. I’ve tried uninstalling the devices in device manager and rebooting, but does nada

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Did the recent windows update fuck sound for anyone else? I’ve lost all sound since updating. I’ve tried uninstalling the devices in device manager and rebooting, but does nada

no but had a USB audio device to go to shit a few windows patches ago. Had to roll back the drive to a year old driver after some extensive googling just so it would work again.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My PC is returning an incredibly slow speed test. I am connected via Wi-Fi (ethernet not possible in my house right now due to setup. This will likely not change). However, if I speed test with other devices like my phone, also on wifi, I am returning the expected wifi speed.

What causes this?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My PC is returning an incredibly slow speed test. I am connected via Wi-Fi (ethernet not possible in my house right now due to setup. This will likely not change). However, if I speed test with other devices like my phone, also on wifi, I am returning the expected wifi speed.

What causes this?

What are you using for wifi on the desktop?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
motherboard embedded one.

MSI Enthusiast Gaming AMD X470 Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 Onboard Graphics SLI ATX Motherboard

Well, that kills my idea of a slow wifi card. Specs look solid. I assume you've checked for driver updates and/or reinstalled the wifi drivers. Did it come with an antenna? Could be a signal strength issue. Also is it connected on 5ghz or 2.4ghz?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well, that kills my idea of a slow wifi card. Specs look solid. I assume you've checked for driver updates and/or reinstalled the wifi drivers. Did it come with an antenna? Could be a signal strength issue. Also is it connected on 5ghz or 2.4ghz?

5ghz, drivers up to date. I guess I can reinstall them.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
TJT TJT couple of things
  • When did it start? Windows Update pushed an Intel NIC driver package a few days ago, maybe you got it to and the update was foobar.
  • Power-cycle your router if you haven't done so since it started happening
  • Presuming Windows 10. Easy full network reset to defaults - > Windows Settings > Network and Internet > Network Reset (last link at the bottom of the page)
  • Last resort would be to reset your Router to factory defaults as well, but try the other stuff first, unless you set it up yourself and know all the things. =)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TJT TJT couple of things
  • When did it start? Windows Update pushed an Intel NIC driver package a few days ago, maybe you got it to and the update was foobar.
  • Power-cycle your router if you haven't done so since it started happening
  • Presuming Windows 10. Easy full network reset to defaults - > Windows Settings > Network and Internet > Network Reset (last link at the bottom of the page)
  • Last resort would be to reset your Router to factory defaults as well, but try the other stuff first, unless you set it up yourself and know all the things. =)

Today as far as I can tell. This is only an issue on THIS PC, my other devices are fine.

Argarth

On the verandah
Today as far as I can tell. This is only an issue on THIS PC, my other devices are fine.

Sure, understood. I would still do the reset on the PC. It's painless and will reinstall drivers and reconnect your PC to the router for you. (disclaimer: it SHOULD, LOL)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Let me know if there's a better place to post this...

Anyone know of a way to manually clear an iPad's cache? Not the browser cache -- but the third party / system cache. My mom's iPad has a whopping 6GB of "Other" showing in the iPad storage. It sounds like this is system cache and app cache. However, the individual apps themselves don't show that their consuming this memory. So it sounds like some random temp files (guessing from my Windows experience) has been left hanging around.

This happened to my wife’s phone last month. We cleared the cache on apps (I think you have to delete them to do this, I forget) and it just kept growing and growing. Deleted videos, pics, pushed it all to the cloud, system memory just kept growing. No idea wtf happened, I guess some update caused it.

She finally just had her work buy a new phone because that one was unusable, couldn’t receive pics, couldn’t back it up, could just use it as a phone/internet. Once we got the new one and transferred everything we factory reset the old one and it is finally fixed. She didn’t want to do that without transferring her stuff first though.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This happened to my wife’s phone last month. We cleared the cache on apps (I think you have to delete them to do this, I forget) and it just kept growing and growing. Deleted videos, pics, pushed it all to the cloud, system memory just kept growing. No idea wtf happened, I guess some update caused it.

She finally just had her work buy a new phone because that one was unusable, couldn’t receive pics, couldn’t back it up, could just use it as a phone/internet. Once we got the new one and transferred everything we factory reset the old one and it is finally fixed. She didn’t want to do that without transferring her stuff first though.
Yeah this is what I ultimately ended up doing -- performing a factory reset. This feels like the same problem with Windows where you're %temp% folder and C:\Windows\Temp folders can grow over time when applications don't properly clean up after themselves. Unfortunately, being Apple, there's no way (that I know of) to get to these folders and manually delete stuff. There has to be some third-party utility that'll do this, but I couldn't find one in the short amount of time I searched around.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

lulz upgrading iphones is so easy now, just place it on top of the other like phone sex

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What's the radio wires look like for the mobo wifi? I have a card and had some shit wifi connectivity but then bought an external antennae and it's helped a ton.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Chrome updated to 85 last night and it has totally messed with the UI scaling of my 4K, I get like 2 words for thread title on the FOH main page and it isn't a zoom problem. Anyone know which flags or settings need to be reverted to unfuck google's mess?

edit: tried messing around with the shortcut /high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1 options using other values but web pages are still squished/scaled wrong with text spillovers so the problem is not strictly related to DPI scale

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am getting monumentally pissed at this networking garbage. The router itself returns high speeds but the wifi on my work pc and personal pc returns garbage. Signal strength is good its not even 30 feet from the router itself. I don't get it and it angers me.

I really despise networking fuck.

• 1Like