Computer Issues

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I got a 3090, yay. But now after 10-20 minutes of some games, my computer shuts off. If I can rule out heat, that's almost always the PSU (850W Thermaltake), right?

Things I've done
- added more cooling
- monitoring temps
- ran a different power cable to the other connector on the GPU instead of using the same y-cable for both

Examples of crashing
- 10 minutes of Rocket League at uncapped framerate
- 20 minutes of Midevil Empire
- 20 minutes of Remnant

Things that worked
- Taking out the 3090 and putting my 1080 Ti back in - no crashing
- enabling vsync in most games keeps things stable for a while, no crashes in Rocket League since, for example but Remnant still had them, even once I reduced things back to 1080 Ti levels (medum settings mostly)

My next step here is to replace the PSU, yeah? I've tossed this at Thermaltake to see if there's anything else they'd recommend.

Balance of the system is a 2700x that I've reverted the OC on once this started happening (was 9% for the last couple years) , 32gb of RAM, 3090 FE feeding a super-ultrawide at 120hz, 5120x1440.
did you play with card settings under/over volting, etc?

they all have their own software like msi afterburner

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nope, not at all. Stock / out of the box.
try it then, there should be no reason that psu can't do it, cuz it has a single beefy rail.

i mean if you have 6 hard drives connected to the pc, maybe unplug, but that psu w/ the single rail should be more than enough

or unplug some rgb lights? i mean if you got that rainbow colored psu...

who knows what kind of strobe lights you got in there.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
try it then, there should be no reason that psu can't do it, cuz it has a single beefy rail.

i mean if you have 6 hard drives connected to the pc, maybe unplug, but that psu w/ the single rail should be more than enough

or unplug some rgb lights? i mean if you got that rainbow colored psu...

who knows what kind of strobe lights you got in there.
Look, I've already unplugged the stripper pole and 4 rooms of RGB it was powering, other than that it's just a few fans, the RAM and only FIVE hard drives, pfft.

I've never undervolted, will get MSI Afterburner installed and look into how not to fuck that up :) ty sir.

Related:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Look, I've already unplugged the stripper pole and 4 rooms of RGB it was powering, other than that it's just a few fans, the RAM and only FIVE hard drives, pfft.

I've never undervolted, will get MSI Afterburner installed and look into how not to fuck that up :) ty sir.

Related:

here you go, guide for the 3080 w/ msi afterburner software, so it's really "i can't fuck this step by step guide, up"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What temps do you get up to when playing games? if you see it at 88C or greater then it'd be overheating, if not then something else.

I'd point blame to the PSU, how old is it?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Thanks will try.

Weird i use a 850+ plat on mine and ive not had but 1 blue screen since installing my 3090 and that was playing Apex - I dont think my wat usage has gone above 500 total yet judging by what my ROG Thor shows me. My 3090 FE doesnt go beyond 66c or so in games but my basement is kept fairly cool and my case is open.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
What temps do you get up to when playing games? if you see it at 88C or greater then it'd be overheating, if not then something else.

I'd point blame to the PSU, how old is it?

Just played a game for 30 minutes that shut me down last night before I undervolted/clocked/whatever:

PCH, CPU and my m2 all peaked around 70C. My m2 went up in temp once I stopped playing, probably because the 3090 isn't doing it's best PS3 impression when the fans are off and is more indicative of needing to improve airflow, the heatsink/fan should help with that.

1603212891567.png

Before the PCI slot fans and other adjustments, that drive was hitting 90C, PCH was 80+. Obviously a cooling challenge, but think my shutdown issue is power related, either the GPU or PSU. The above graphs are also after I closed my case back up, and the temps didn't really change much, which was nice to see. At idle the PCH has settled at 62 and the drive at 67 (which the Samsung Magician software classifies as too high), GPU 39.

So far so good though, thanks Lanx Lanx .

1603213017081.png

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just played a game for 30 minutes that shut me down last night before I undervolted/clocked/whatever:

PCH, CPU and my m2 all peaked around 70C. My m2 went up in temp once I stopped playing, probably because the 3090 isn't doing it's best PS3 impression when the fans are off and is more indicative of needing to improve airflow, the heatsink/fan should help with that.

View attachment 311226

Before the PCI slot fans and other adjustments, that drive was hitting 90C, PCH was 80+. Obviously a cooling challenge, but think my shutdown issue is power related, either the GPU or PSU. The above graphs are also after I closed my case back up, and the temps didn't really change much, which was nice to see. At idle the PCH has settled at 62 and the drive at 67 (which the Samsung Magician software classifies as too high), GPU 39.

So far so good though, thanks Lanx Lanx .

View attachment 311227
yea i mean under/over volting imo was just a way for you to get stable, but you still have some issues imo that we can't find, cuz obviously you shouldn't have to do that w/ a stock gpu, we just want to at least make sure it works for a while.

so like, maybe the thermal paste is bad? and try cleaning that up?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
what case are you using? im too lazy to go backwards to see a pic of your setup - too lazy to press buttons - homer simpson syndome and all

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
View 37. Not a case I'd recommend. Nice big fans in the front.... that can only take in air from those side panels.

1603238569115.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone know if there's a way to stream audio between two PC's seemlessly?

I use MouseWithoutBorders for keyboard/mouse between the two, but wondering if there's a similar type of program so I can listen to audio between them if needed

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to achieve.
Setup is laptop + 2 monitors on my left, main desktop + 2 monitors on right. I have mouse without borders so I can use a single keyboard + mouse to seamlessly traverse between both systems. I am tired of having to take off my headset and put on my "work headset" with cheap mic. I'd like to be able to transmit audio between both systems so that I no longer need two headsets.

Unplugging my headset and plugging into the laptop is not simple because I have a Scarlett 2i2 all setup and cables routed.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If the headphones are USB grab a USB switch then the nicer headphones can toggle between the 2. I do this with my PC and Hackintosh, works well enough

EDIT I don't know of any software that would accomplish that

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone know if there's a way to stream audio between two PC's seemlessly?

I use MouseWithoutBorders for keyboard/mouse between the two, but wondering if there's a similar type of program so I can listen to audio between them if needed
There aren't any good options to do this the last I looked. It's doable with software, but it involves latency. Other option is using a typical 3.5m audio cable in the output/headphone hackj of one to send to the input of another, but then you have to deal with EMI issues.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Noodleface Noodleface Denamian Denamian jooka jooka

After flashing the BIOS, and replacing the power supply, and other things it was still doing it. Buddy then bought a new 3600 chip from Best Buy, and it fixed it. So it was the CPU all along. Was so weird that it'd boot loop at the exact same spot every time, even when trying to launch off a thumb drive. Oh well, problem solved. Thanks for the recommendations and help!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users