Computer Issues

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So my Mother has an oldish laptop (has an Nvidia gfx card) that she was given and uses as her "Facebook machine". All she does and uses it for are Thunderbird for e-mail and Chrome for the web (mostly Facebook, and the odd news site). Recently I've heard the fans on her system be constantly dialled to the proverbial 11. I've checked Task Manager and it's always Chrome sperging out. This is with maybe 6-7 Facebook tabs open. That's it. Now I have installed a few extensions such as ublock origin, just these standard safety things. I also ran a full virus check and Microsoft's malware search and they didn't find shit. It usually fixes it to close some of the Facebook tabs, but still, this shouldn't be happening. Any ideas on what causes it, or how to find out?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So my Mother has an oldish laptop (has an Nvidia gfx card) that she was given and uses as her "Facebook machine". All she does and uses it for are Thunderbird for e-mail and Chrome for the web (mostly Facebook, and the odd news site). Recently I've heard the fans on her system be constantly dialled to the proverbial 11. I've checked Task Manager and it's always Chrome sperging out. This is with maybe 6-7 Facebook tabs open. That's it. Now I have installed a few extensions such as ublock origin, just these standard safety things. I also ran a full virus check and Microsoft's malware search and they didn't find shit. It usually fixes it to close some of the Facebook tabs, but still, this shouldn't be happening. Any ideas on what causes it, or how to find out?

If nothing else is eating up system resources it could be dust build up. Thermal paste needing to be re done is another possibility depending on how old it is.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Interesting, her desk seems to be a dust magnet so I'll check it out. Hadn't thought of that. Was half worried she'd clicked on some shitty FB link and some subprocess was mining crypto lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Interesting, her desk seems to be a dust magnet so I'll check it out. Hadn't thought of that. Was half worried she'd clicked on some shitty FB link and some subprocess was mining crypto lol.

That's usually my first thought as well. Laptops have shitty airflow to begin with so it usually doesn't take much.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If dont want to open up laptop easiest way is to use air can to break up dust inside then vac it out

If you need abit more cleaning action you can hold csn upside diwn and itll shoot lout freezing liquid, this is how kiddies get high

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
is it actually using the nvidia gpu? My laptop just uses the intel one unless I start up a game or force it to use the nvidia. Hopefully giving it a good blow will solve it tho.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I have Windows 7 SP1. How do I install updates since the windows update shit in control panel doesn't actually download them? Do I just need to google them and install manually?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have Windows 7 SP1. How do I install updates since the windows update shit in control panel doesn't actually download them? Do I just need to google them and install manually?
Upgrade to win 10, win7 hasnt been aipported since the start of covid

• 1Solidarity

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Upgrade to win 10, win7 hasnt been aipported since the start of covid
but I like Win 7 and i'd rather use that money for beer and hookers. Can I make win 10 look like win 7?

***EDIT: I guess I can get a Win 10 key for $14.99 from Microsoft since my wife is a teacher? that seems like a good deal.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
but I like Win 7 and i'd rather use that money for beer and hookers. Can I make win 10 look like win 7?

***EDIT: I guess I can get a Win 10 key for $14.99 from Microsoft since my wife is a teacher? that seems like a good deal.

You can still upgrade for free. Grab the windows 10 media creation tool, run it on the PC you're upgrading and choose to upgrade. As long as you have a valid Win7 license you will get a fully activated W10 of the same version, home or pro. This doesn't work for enterprise.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Legacy programs is the only reason to stick with 18year old win7 when win10 is a perfect upgrade.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Only invest money if you can snag a Win7 or Win8 Pro key on the cheap and then free upgrade to 10 Pro so you can turn off some things you can't in Home.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
using the usb tool was a mistake, should have just done the upgrade windows deal but I already changed my boot order and that caused enough of a headache.

edit- But I might be retarded because I acted like I was doing it on a new pc and not just running it from the usb through windows

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
using the usb tool was a mistake, should have just done the upgrade windows deal but I already changed my boot order and that caused enough of a headache.

edit- But I might be retarded because I acted like I was doing it on a new pc and not just running it from the usb through windows

Yeah, you just need to choose the upgrade this pc option in the tool. You don't even need to make a USB.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
My desktop was on the other day when a storm rolled through. Lightning hit nearby and apparently my surge protector failed (tbf it was pretty ancient) and I heard the loud pop from the pc, then just dead. I assumed the power supply fried so replaced it, but the pc is still dead. Is it definitely the motherboard that's fried, or something else I'm missing? Before I run out and buy a new MB!

dizzie

Triggered Happy
My desktop was on the other day when a storm rolled through. Lightning hit nearby and apparently my surge protector failed (tbf it was pretty ancient) and I heard the loud pop from the pc, then just dead. I assumed the power supply fried so replaced it, but the pc is still dead. Is it definitely the motherboard that's fried, or something else I'm missing? Before I run out and buy a new MB!

Probably the motherboard, hard to tell what components get mashed in an electrical event. If there's nothing at all with the motherboard disconnected from everything and powered up then it's probably fucked, as it would have some kind of post error code, bleeps lights etc.

Hope it works out well and it didn't take out anything else.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Probably the motherboard, hard to tell what components get mashed in an electrical event. If there's nothing at all with the motherboard disconnected from everything and powered up then it's probably fucked, as it would have some kind of post error code, bleeps lights etc.

Hope it works out well and it didn't take out anything else.
Thanks for the reply. I may just turn this into a good excuse to upgrade a bunch of components at once!

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
Homeowner or renters insurance will cover stuff like that sometimes, so you could make a claim and buy a new PC with the money. I've done that a few times with lightning problems.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Keep in mind it could be more than just the motherboard that got fried, maybe replace parts as you go so you figure out what is working unless you just go all new

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Speaking of insurance, be careful with that shit. I lived in my house for like 3-4 yrs not EVER claiming anything. And one weekend we went away, came back to a flooded kitchen, one of my pipes sprung a leak. Long story short I claimed that shit, got like $5G but then my insurance canceled my ass lol. I didnt even know it, I guess they sent me a mail I never bothered to read? A few months down the line I get a mail from my mortgage company saying WTF is wrong with you bro, you have no insurance. Either you sew that shit up or well do it for you.