Computer Issues

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Anyone know how to fix this on Windows 10? Ignore the activation prompt.

View attachment 474877

Windows 10 has been giving me issues for a while where I'll have internet connection, but it will appear as if I don't. And some apps/programs won't actually connect bc it's saying that I don't have connectivity. Browsing the internet is fine though. What gives?
metered connection being turned on in windows maybe? Also, activate windows.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I recently transferred my HD and the windows license didn’t move w it for whatever reason. The issue has nothing to do w the windows license.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So after a few weeks with my new computer theres only one issue; extremely long boot times.

When turning the computer on, either from complete power off or from sleep/hibernate as its turning on the computer will get stuck in the POST process, showing nothing more than a solid underscore symbol on either of my monitors. It will sit there showing the underscore symbol from anywhere between 30 seconds to sometimes up to 10 minutes if I get let run that long. Once it gets past that, it loads windows as fast as expected. Once in windows, zero issues at all so far perfectly stable performs as expected.

Ive updated the BIOS to the latest version, go into the BIOS and disabled or changed any setting that could likely be causing this like memory training and "fast boot" etc. Searching the interwebs for a solution is a bit annoying as the results seem to pretty much all be for people having hard disk issues which is clearly not the problem here.

Processor is a 7800X3d
Mobo is a Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So after a few weeks with my new computer theres only one issue; extremely long boot times.

When turning the computer on, either from complete power off or from sleep/hibernate as its turning on the computer will get stuck in the POST process, showing nothing more than a solid underscore symbol on either of my monitors. It will sit there showing the underscore symbol from anywhere between 30 seconds to sometimes up to 10 minutes if I get let run that long. Once it gets past that, it loads windows as fast as expected. Once in windows, zero issues at all so far perfectly stable performs as expected.

Ive updated the BIOS to the latest version, go into the BIOS and disabled or changed any setting that could likely be causing this like memory training and "fast boot" etc. Searching the interwebs for a solution is a bit annoying as the results seem to pretty much all be for people having hard disk issues which is clearly not the problem here.

Processor is a 7800X3d

Can you dump the POST to logs with that BIOS? It has to be obviously getting stuck on something. Otherwise maybe you need to just remove/replace parts until it boots. There's always a possibility the motherboard itself is the problem. Also power supply and connections.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Processor is a 7800X3d

I haven't used any of the AM5 CPUs, but this does sound like memory training, though longer that what I've heard. Is there a setting to enable memory context restore in the BIOS? Does this happen with XMP/EXPO disabled and the memory running at JEDEC timings?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Can you dump the POST to logs with that BIOS? It has to be obviously getting stuck on something. Otherwise maybe you need to just remove/replace parts until it boots. There's always a possibility the motherboard itself is the problem. Also power supply and connections.
This sounds like a timeout to me, also. I'd check all your connections.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So. I'm rebuilding an old semi-retired desktop rig of mine into a VM running system and NAS for my house. So far the spec is filled out as such..

I7 with 4 cores (8 logical processors)
64gb RAM
PCIe 2TB drive for boot
4x 7tb HDD's for RAID 5 storage space.

The Motherboard (and older ASUS Prime MB) has an Intel RAID storage chipset on it. And it's apparently utter crap. Just horrible, and currently one week in and still trying to "initialize" the array.

Are there any good suggestions for a reasonably priced RAID controller card for use in a system like this? Been prowling Amazon and some other sites and nothing is jumping out as a good call....

Ideas?

bolok

Trakanon Raider
So. I'm rebuilding an old semi-retired desktop rig of mine into a VM running system and NAS for my house. So far the spec is filled out as such..

I7 with 4 cores (8 logical processors)
64gb RAM
PCIe 2TB drive for boot
4x 7tb HDD's for RAID 5 storage space.

The Motherboard (and older ASUS Prime MB) has an Intel RAID storage chipset on it. And it's apparently utter crap. Just horrible, and currently one week in and still trying to "initialize" the array.

Are there any good suggestions for a reasonably priced RAID controller card for use in a system like this? Been prowling Amazon and some other sites and nothing is jumping out as a good call....

Ideas?
Don’t use a raid card. Hardware raid is fairly obsolete at this point. You want a hba or a raid card that can be flashed to it/jbod mode. Then just throw truenas or some other zfs option on it.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
NZXT AIO Kraken is dying, I'm hearing bad pump noise at startup. Temps are fluctuating but not overheating ....yet. Anyone know if it has to completely die before they will take it back for warranty?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I bought a Samsung t7 shield USB ssd to store videos. Now, when I open them the windows 11 "films and TV" app to trim sections I get an error message. I have to copy them from the SSD to my main HD in order to use this trim function.

Any ideas?

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Just installed my new PSU and GPU and now all of a sudden all my case fans refuse to work. Pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly and I've tried a couple things in BIOS but still nada.

Also, I bought 2 more sticks of identical ram to what I was using but I have to disable xmp/docp or my comp won't boot at all. Two of sticks show as running at 3200 but other 2 show as running at 2400. I even tried to manually set them to match the docp profile but that didn't work either. I've heard that running 4 sticks can cause this to happen tho but maybe someone else has more insight.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also, I bought 2 more sticks of identical ram to what I was using but I have to disable xmp/docp or my comp won't boot at all. Two of sticks show as running at 3200 but other 2 show as running at 2400. I even tried to manually set them to match the docp profile but that didn't work either. I've heard that running 4 sticks can cause this to happen tho but maybe someone else has more insight.
When was the last time you updated your BIOS? Used to be a very common problem with 12th gen intel and 4 sticks.

Also manufacturing-wise unless you get all 4 sticks from the same kit / box they are not guaranteed to sync. You might have to adjust the clock to 3000

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
When was the last time you updated your BIOS? Used to be a very common problem with 12th gen intel and 4 sticks.

Also manufacturing-wise unless you get all 4 sticks from the same kit / box they are not guaranteed to sync. You might have to adjust the clock to 3000
I had to update it for the 5800x3d so it's at the latest possible version. Every single thing is as up to date as possible I'm pretty sure.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just installed my new PSU and GPU and now all of a sudden all my case fans refuse to work. Pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly and I've tried a couple things in BIOS but still nada.

Surprised you dont have a controller with its own power source, directed off of a USB connection.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Surprised you dont have a controller with its own power source, directed off of a USB connection.
Ya I might have to switch to that it looks like. I built this thing 3 years ago and there were no issues with the fans or anything at all really.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Case fan problem solved. Apparently, they were just plugged in wrong. Only problem that remains is the memory problem but after looking into it a bit it seems that there's nothing I can do. At least all of the ram registers and 2 of the 4 are working with the docp settings which is weird because I have them turned off.

• 1Like