Computer Issues

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
That sounds like power supply to me if it's just instantly flashing off with no bsod
It's happening with a PSU that had no issues for 2 years, and is working with another system idling connected to it.

It's not crashing/resetting at load. If I'm in a game, I'm not worried about it doing anything to me for some reason.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 08-44-09 ChatGPT.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, I dont think ChatGPT is wrong in the first 5 seconds. But I aint reading all that and will just say to me - with as much troubleshooting as Ive done - probably need to reseat the cpu and the ram. Might as well clean off the paste and redo whatever cpu cooler you have, too.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Well, I've disabled C-states in my bios. It's only been 1.5 days but I haven't frozen randomly at the desktop anymore.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
It was definitely c-states for some reason. Never had an issue before I moved cases. Once I disabled those it was stable again at low power usage.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Having a strange issue that I think is related to Silverlight, or is at least the most reliable method I have of repeating the issue. Occurs on Edge, Chrome, and Brave.

Issue is that whenever I open a site with a Silverlight player (Paramount+, Amazon, etc...), the graphics driver crashes and my 2nd monitor turns off.

My Lenovo X1 Carbon is connected to a dock (40AY, LDA-KP) and 2nd monitor is connected to said dock via DisplayPort. Monitor is an Asus Ultrawide.

So yeah, everything is up to date as far as I can tell. Going to grab an HDMI cable and connect 2nd monitor directly to laptop and see if it behaves the same. My guess is that the dock is acting funky. It took about 5 updates to even get the dock to recognize the 2nd monitor. I can sometimes fix it by switching from "Extend Display" to "Duplicate" and back, or Win+CTRL+Shift+B restarting graphics driver, but it is 50/50.

Not a huge deal, just irritating. May see if there's an alternative dock for this thing.

Daidraco

Having a strange issue that I think is related to Silverlight, or is at least the most reliable method I have of repeating the issue. Occurs on Edge, Chrome, and Brave.

Issue is that whenever I open a site with a Silverlight player (Paramount+, Amazon, etc...), the graphics driver crashes and my 2nd monitor turns off.

My Lenovo X1 Carbon is connected to a dock (40AY, LDA-KP) and 2nd monitor is connected to said dock via DisplayPort. Monitor is an Asus Ultrawide.

So yeah, everything is up to date as far as I can tell. Going to grab an HDMI cable and connect 2nd monitor directly to laptop and see if it behaves the same. My guess is that the dock is acting funky. It took about 5 updates to even get the dock to recognize the 2nd monitor. I can sometimes fix it by switching from "Extend Display" to "Duplicate" and back, or Win+CTRL+Shift+B restarting graphics driver, but it is 50/50.

Not a huge deal, just irritating. May see if there's an alternative dock for this thing.
My old pc does it on Amazon Prime from time to time when I take it out of full screen (Which I think paramount+ is using the Prime Client, isnt it?). The Samsung its hooked up to will go black for 1-2 seconds and then everything will be fine. It appears as though its just Amazon's HD acceleration or something which .. judging by the fact it doesnt do it on my newest PC or my g/f's - probably has something to do with a hardware configuration of the PC.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My old pc does it on Amazon Prime from time to time when I take it out of full screen (Which I think paramount+ is using the Prime Client, isnt it?). The Samsung its hooked up to will go black for 1-2 seconds and then everything will be fine. It appears as though its just Amazon's HD acceleration or something which .. judging by the fact it doesnt do it on my newest PC or my g/f's - probably has something to do with a hardware configuration of the PC.

I use Paramount+ through their direct page but it looks/feels like Amazon and I think it is what first prompted me to install the player. Happens on NetFlix too. Anything that uses that damn auto-background video play over title while browsing the page crap. Whole monitor shuts down b/c I lose mouse and keyboard which are routed through the built in USB hub. Thought maybe it was related to refresh for some reason and changed it to 60 Hz but that didn't help.

Just tried it by taking the dock out of the equation and going HDMI direct in to the laptop and it works perfect. So it is either something diplayport related (no DP on laptop) or dock related. From that perspective of things... I just don't want this damn extra HDMI cable coming through the cable management of the desk and worry about plugging something else in to the laptop. I liked the single USB-C connection to the dock.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I hate that there's no instrumentation for the most part for power supplies. I'm having random freezes and restarts again and it's my leading suspect. So frustrating. It's happened when I'm playing games but also while I'm just scrolling a webpage in Chrome and last night (while watching Barry) I walked to the kitchen to get something and the audio stopped in my wireless headphones ... froze while I wasn't even at the computer.

Thought it might be other things so have even had HWINFO up on one of my screens while frozen, and everything looked good :|

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I hate that there's no instrumentation for the most part for power supplies. I'm having random freezes and restarts again and it's my leading suspect. So frustrating. It's happened when I'm playing games but also while I'm just scrolling a webpage in Chrome and last night (while watching Barry) I walked to the kitchen to get something and the audio stopped in my wireless headphones ... froze while I wasn't even at the computer.

Thought it might be other things so have even had HWINFO up on one of my screens while frozen, and everything looked good :|
I had / have a PSU tester around here somewhere but it's just a load tester. Not sure if you can do anything in-line. Have a known good PSU you can swap out / frankenstein on for a short while to eliminate or prove your suspicion?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, Question in case anybody else had run into this...

I am building up a new home lab/VM/Plex/NAS box. Using a semi-retired PC of mine for it with added memory and HD space. Current spec :

Boot device : 1TB SSD
Storage : Raid 5 array of 4x 8tb drives (this is where the problem is...)
Memory : 64G (4x 16G sticks DDR4)
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Motherboard : ASUS Prime Z270-a with Intel RST Raid chipset.

The big changes were adding 32G of memory and the 4 hard drives for the RAID array. All sets up fine and boots and it's running. I start copying files from various sources and backups to the NAS volume (which comes up and formats fine). But the performance is wholly unusable (Taking over 8 hours to copy 200G). It shows that the RAID5 drive is "active" 100% of the time. But the read/write channels only get little burps of activity every 10 seconds or so. I used to literally sell storage arrays back in the day (IBM Server arrays anybody?) And I remember about RAID5 striping needing to initialize. So I pop open the Intel RAID utility and look, sure enough it says it's initializing, so I figure "let's give it some time" and let it sit overnight. It was still at 0% initializing.

12 hours later... It's at 1%.

Anybody else had trouble with systems initializing these large RAID5 configs? I will admit this is the first time I've tried cooking up a 21TB RAID5. But at this point it will literally take over a month just to initialize and the system is useless from a storage standpoint apparently until it's done with it's initial striping calculations. This is what's boggling me because in the past I used systems with raid5 arrays while they were initializing as it would do the striping calcs on the fly for new writes as they happened.

Last edited:

bolok

Trakanon Raider
People still use hardware raid? Doesn't help your situation, but I'd suggest just using the straight disks in truenas core or scale. I'm a bsd fanboy so I'm using core, but scale seems like it works well if you want to fuck around with docker containters on the NAS level instead of spinning up a alpine vm.

Daidraco

This PC and this mish mash of parts Im building for someone is going to drive me insane. This particular set of fans I have act like they arent getting power, but...

Ive got the 3 pack of Lian Li's Fans hooked up to their proprietary controller. The controller is hooked up to a USB slot on the mobo properly, and is properly plugged into the PSU on both cables. The motherboard is a Aorus Elite AX board.

Ive played around with the L Connect 3 software from Lian Li. Ive updated the firmware of the controller to match what is going on. Neither step did anything worth af. BUT - the fans are recognized as the SL Infinity 120's in that setup. Almost as if the system was not letting them turn on? So I go to check on the bios (something Im absolutely clueless about past turning XMP on) and.. Gigabyte has something called Smart Fan? But I dont see where anything in all the different fan spots says "Disabled"????

The last PC I built was mine, was more expensive than this one and had zero problems. Same motherboard though, so if this is a bios issue - maybe Ill learn something useful.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This PC and this mish mash of parts Im building for someone is going to drive me insane. This particular set of fans I have act like they arent getting power, but...

Ive got the 3 pack of Lian Li's Fans hooked up to their proprietary controller. The controller is hooked up to a USB slot on the mobo properly, and is properly plugged into the PSU on both cables. The motherboard is a Aorus Elite AX board.

Ive played around with the L Connect 3 software from Lian Li. Ive updated the firmware of the controller to match what is going on. Neither step did anything worth af. BUT - the fans are recognized as the SL Infinity 120's in that setup. Almost as if the system was not letting them turn on? So I go to check on the bios (something Im absolutely clueless about past turning XMP on) and.. Gigabyte has something called Smart Fan? But I dont see where anything in all the different fan spots says "Disabled"????

The last PC I built was mine, was more expensive than this one and had zero problems. Same motherboard though, so if this is a bios issue - maybe Ill learn something useful.
don't those fan controllers require sata for power? or is that what you meant by hooking to the psu?

Daidraco

don't those fan controllers require sata for power? or is that what you meant by hooking to the psu?
I just needed to take a step away and come back. Yes, they needed two SATA connections. That was the easy part cause you cant fuck up a SATA connection. Its the connection on the fans - theyre using some kind of slide in clip and... it can go on, sturdily, either way - and I found that out not even about 5 minutes ago when I took them apart and noticed the plug was in backwards on the fan itself. I spent 15 minutes making sure the bios was up to date, pulled off the USB to make sure it was getting full connection, did a firmware update on the controller. Did a driver update on the USB. The works - I was about to throw Lian Li in the trash and say thats where they belong.

Gorgeous fans, though. The infinity look is pretty as hell no matter what RGB you go with and Im not even an RGB person. I set it to white in its black case and its like a GD spotlight in here. Just glad I didnt cause some serious damage to anything cause Im doing this pro-bono lol.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know how to fix this on Windows 10? Ignore the activation prompt.

Capture.PNG

Windows 10 has been giving me issues for a while where I'll have internet connection, but it will appear as if I don't. And some apps/programs won't actually connect bc it's saying that I don't have connectivity. Browsing the internet is fine though. What gives?

Daidraco

Anyone know how to fix this on Windows 10? Ignore the activation prompt.

View attachment 474877

Windows 10 has been giving me issues for a while where I'll have internet connection, but it will appear as if I don't. And some apps/programs won't actually connect bc it's saying that I don't have connectivity. Browsing the internet is fine though. What gives?
Have you tried activating windows? :trump: