Computer Issues

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Could very well be the bios, your bios version is from 2010, they have a newer version (1402) as of august 2012. In fact, there have been 6 bios versions updated since the one you currently have. I'd try that first before anything else.

Motherboards - SABERTOOTH X58
(click on drivers & tools)

in fact, the notes on the bios 1302 update were "Improve stability on Marvell controller" The Marvell controller on that motherboard is the SATA drive controller, so that may very well be the fix you need.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Could very well be the bios, your bios version is from 2010, they have a newer version (1402) as of august 2012. In fact, there have been 6 bios versions updated since the one you currently have. I'd try that first before anything else.

Motherboards - SABERTOOTH X58
(click on drivers & tools)

in fact, the notes on the bios 1302 update were "Improve stability on Marvell controller" The Marvell controller on that motherboard is the SATA drive controller, so that may very well be the fix you need.
It's too bad that the only SATA 6 Gb/s on that board are on a Marvell controller. My experience with Marvell controllers has been nothing but awful.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
So I've had this problem for months now: after about half a page of scrolling down on the mousewheel, it'll randomly scroll up a bunch of clicks. Don't have access to a second mouse currently to test if that's what it is, any other possible things that my cause this?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Could just be a wonky mouse but change the default number of scrolls per wheel turn up one or two ticks and see if it solves it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thought we used to have a router review thread in product reviews that had mentioned this issue, but my dlink dir-655 router's wireless keeps cutting out. Tried power cycling cable modem and router and computers but it's not fixing it. Signal is just constantly dropping. Wired connections all maintain connection and maintain speed.

Going to research the issue and check into a firmware upgrade but figured I'd ask here as well.

Thanks for any help. Appreciate your time.

Edit: I've fixed it for now. Did a factory reset on the router. Should have saved the port forwarding settings. Oh well. I've read though that I could be stuck doing a power cycle or reset every day.
frown.png

Might be time for a new router that doesn't have these problems.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Lag. The word brings back the 90's playing Quake on dial-up with friends online. We learned to compensate for the lack of client-side detection by predicting where the target would be with a 300-400ms delay. We accepted that this is how it is. Broadband came to me in 1999 and things changed. I could now play games and just point and shoot at the target like it was a single player game or a LAN party. Everything was fine and dandy until 3 years ago. Here is my problem.

I have an issue in games where in FPS my game feels delayed or laggy. The hit registration seems off. In TF2 my melee and weapons do not register properly if I'm moving quickly. I can not melee targets if we are moving at the same speed but they can hit me. There even feels like a delay from when I shoot to when the action comes up on screen. This happens in Counter-Strike and Quake Live too. In WOW Arena, people could melee me from 15m away but I would get "Too far away" even though I'm getting hit by the same guy. My brother is a gamer and he noticed that my games feel sluggish too. I have changed my hardware multiple times and I'm not convinced it's a problem with windows. So off I went on a witch hunt to find the problem.

The issue I'm having is the lag comes and goes. Normally on a reboot I can play one map before my controls feel washed out. I can do a fresh install on Windows and the lag is gone, but a day later its back. I think I'm experiencing a type of input lag that is causing this so I have tried many different things. I have ruled out everything but my monitor, but since this monitor cost me almost $800, I don't want to sack it to test it out. I don't know anybody where I live who has a monitor to test it out. My old monitor had the issue to, which is why I bought a new one a few years ago. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula
CPU: i7 3770k
Ram: 16gig G-Skill 1600 (Low Latency Timings)
GPU: EVGA 670 GTX SLI
HDD: Crucial M4 256gig SSD, Agility 3 256gig, WD Black 2gig, WD Green 2gig
Soundcard: Xonar STX
PS: Corsain AX860i
Monitor: Samsung SA950D DVI-D
Mouse: Corsair M65
KB: Corsair K70
Cable Modem: Cisco DPC3825
ISP: Shaw Cable 100Mbit
Windows: Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

All firmware/bios are up to date. All drivers are up to date.

Some witch hunts that did nothing to the occurrence of the issues include:

HPET: On or Off,
Nvidia Settings:Frame buffering, GPU scaling, single monitor performance, SLI on or off/removal of 2nd card, forcing monitor to 119hz, couple more but not off my head.
BIOS: Disable all unnecessary things like onboard sound, bluetooth ect. Overclocked/stock makes no difference.
USB: Remove all Hubs, use only back panel ports. Split KB/Mouse to different banks. Add no additional USB devices
Software: Antivirus on/off - Firewall on/off
Windows: Minimal Loaded software (Normally around 45 Processes +/- 5)
Mouse: Mark C's No acceleration/no fix, Angle snapping on/off (off is needed for good FPS gaming) Polling rates 1000hz-125hz (Prefer 125hz to reduce resolution and jitterness) 800dpi (Low sensitivity for more accurate aim)
Monitor: Response time Normal-Fastest, 3D mode + Lightboost equivalent mode, low input/normal mode.
Cable modem: (Doubles as a wireless router) Cabled (not wifi) Firmware update. Have not played with ports because I'm not sure about how networking.

My problems seem to have come about when Vista game out compared to Windows XP. I didn't notice it much back then moving from a CRT winxp to LCD vista, but it was there in WOW but not in FPS like TF2. Now it doesn't matter. I personally think it's a windows thing because I have replaced ever single piece of hardware, even my god damn case (wanted a more mature case, had HAF 932, went Corsair 900D).

I have not tried using a different monitor because most people said it can't be it. Well my monitor has an issue that sometimes I can see a single vertical row of pixels shimmering right in the middle of the monitor. It can be fixed by turning the monitor on and off. I should have had it repaired, but its easy to fix. I connect via DVI-D so the bandwidth should be fine to run 1080p/120hz.

I love PC gaming because the FPS genre is 100x better on a PC than a console. I love PC gaming because this PC is MY PC. I want to do a water loop but don't want to waste money if I can't even play the games I love without raging out when I have to shoot instant fire weapons by leading targets. Nothing is more amusing than getting head shots on targets when on my screen, I'm missing, but then line up a head and get nothing.

When playing games like TF2, when I'm running forward and shoot a grenade as a Demoman, the grenade does not come from my gun, but comes from my head. If I strafe, the grenade comes 10 feet away from my side. If I go play these same games on my brothers computer (which is all my old parts, and I do the format and install) there is none of this BS lag. I live in Vancouver Canada, he lives in the interior of BC.

I'm so depressed by these issues that I am on my last straw for gaming. If I can't fix this, I'm done gaming. Inconsistency is too great at the skill level I play at. I am buying a new g-sync enabled monitor when they comer up if they don't suck, but I dont think this is the issue. Anybody have these issues? I could really use another pair of eyes.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You typed up all that shit about hardware and different configurations, but the reality is that these problems are probably caused by a shitty internet connection. It becomes even more of a possibility when you admit that your brother has your old parts and his shit runs fine, does he have better internets? Have you done a speed test? Checked packet loss and jitter? Any of that?

If you play FPS games in single player, do you still get this lag?

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
You typed up all that shit about hardware and different configurations, but the reality is that these problems are probably caused by a shitty internet connection. It becomes even more of a possibility when you admit that your brother has your old parts and his shit runs fine, does he have better internets? Have you done a speed test? Checked packet loss and jitter? Any of that?

If you play FPS games in single player, do you still get this lag?
Problem solved. All 3 of my motherboards (Asus) used some the same INTEL NIC on them. I was always getting the most up to date one from ASUS's website, while my brother's computer was loading the drivers that came with that motherboard. The up-to-date ones on the ASUS site were the culprit. I looked at what all three computers had in common, and it was the built in NIC which I didn't think anything was wrong because I do 14megs/second and ping my game servers around 15-30ms. ASUS was supplying shotty drivers, go ASUS!

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm hoping someone can help.

My home internet is Verizon 4G and I use a mifi jetpack. I have a 10 gig per month allowance, and I've been exceeding it by about 3-4gig per month, and the overage is EXPENSIVE.

The thing is, I don't do anything but surf. I don't stream anything, or torrent, or anything else, really.

Is there a setting on Chrome that cuts down data usage, or is there a program I can run that shows exactly where the data usage is occurring? Like, can I see which webpage, or underlying program is gobbling up the gigs?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How odd. Put in a new GPU 2 days ago. Now last night @ 1:13 and just now at 1:13am again the computer just restarts out of the blue. No blue screen nothing, it acts like I pushed the restart button manually without all the closing windows etc, just a hard restart.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you've put in a particularly beefy graphics card your power supply may not be up to the task. Otherwise, it could be driver conflicts with the old card, in which case run something likeDriver Sweeper, then install the latest recommended driver for your new card.

Crone

Recently started hearing from my computer my processor working, stop, working, stop. Will work 3-5 seconds, then stop for 2, and it repeats over and over again.

My first thought was it's getting requests from my Boxee Box to scan media. Turned that off, and it's still doing it. I go into task manager and it is the processor. CPU Usage spikes 10-12%, then back down to 0-2%. This can't be good for my processor, but no idea what's causing it.

Any suggestions, or just one of those things to shut everything down, and then start turning things back on 1 at a time?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You aren't hearing your processor, they're silent, but you might be hearing the heatsink fan revving up, or possibly mechanical hard drive access.

And under Windows 7 at least, your processor going back and forth from 0 to 10% usage constantly is pretty normal. With all the shit that's part of windows running in the background along with whatever you have installed on your computer, your CPU is rarely completely idle at 0% for very long. I'm sitting here with nothing actually open except my web browser and task manager, and my CPU is constantly running around in the 0-13% range.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you've put in a particularly beefy graphics card your power supply may not be up to the task. Otherwise, it could be driver conflicts with the old card, in which case run something likeDriver Sweeper, then install the latest recommended driver for your new card.
Might be driver thing thanks, used amd before and now nvidia. PSU shouldn't be a issue its a 750w and its only 1 760.

Crone

You aren't hearing your processor, they're silent, but you might be hearing the heatsink fan revving up, or possibly mechanical hard drive access.

And under Windows 7 at least, your processor going back and forth from 0 to 10% usage constantly is pretty normal. With all the shit that's part of windows running in the background along with whatever you have installed on your computer, your CPU is rarely completely idle at 0% for very long. I'm sitting here with nothing actually open except my web browser and task manager, and my CPU is constantly running around in the 0-13% range.
Good point that with so much stuff running that it's bound to jump around a lot.

Its a similar noise to when writing data to a hard drive, or when booting up a computer. The computer is working and doing something noise, and I'll admit it could have been doing this all along and it's just now that I hear it so I hear it all the time now.

Thanks for the help though. I won't really worry about it.