Computer Issues

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
It doesn't have any onboard video, not that I saw going through the entire bios. It did have a boot video option of PCI/PEG or PEG/PCI which I changed to PCI/PEG (which I believe I had it set at before) but it didn't have any effect.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Only every 5 years when I need a new compy
Just giving you a hard time. It really is amazing what an SSD can do for an old computer. My girlfriend had a malware infested, 4 year old Toshiba laptop with an Athlon X2 processor that I spiffed up over the weekend. I pulled out the old 500gb HD and slapped in a surplus 160gb Intel X25-M I had laying around. Shit runs like a boss now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It will run like a boss for 3 days until she clicks something on facebook and gets a virus that spirals into 30,000 infected files. Fucking nose-breathers

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
haha, nah, pretty sure it was her idiot ex that got it all fucked up in the first place. I've already gone ahead and downloaded the latest couple seasons of Grey's Anatomy so she doesn't end up getting AIDS from the Pirate Bay or some shit.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Has anyone else seen cursor corruption on Windows 7? It looks like the top couple of pixels of the appropriate cursor (e.g. tip of the arrow, top of the text I, top sides of the <-> arrow) are repeated 5 times with a slight gap between them. I haven't been able to determine the trigger, occasionally it will fix itself within a login session but a reboot always fixes it.

I'd post a screenshot but it appears the print screen captures the image before the cursor is overlayed.

was just listening to a youtube video while i played vanguard.. alt-tabbed to see why the video stopped and my entire desktop background had been hijacked by some program called "jafiles"

I rebooted in safe mode & did a system restore, and i'm running a scan now.. so all's fine. but that was messed up.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I turned on my laptop after work and did the 20 or so Windows Updates that it called for. Restarted my computer and now it's just hanging at the black screen for about 10 seconds and saying, "Operating System Not Found". Am I SOL? I'm currently looking for the recovery disk that came with it but I'm not sure it survived the two moves I've made in the past year.

It's an Asus with Windows 7 64 bit if that matters.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you know the model, try to go to the Asus site and look for downloads for your specific model. Sometimes they'll have a download (or CD mailed to you). Otherwise, you could try a Win 7 disk, not sure if they provide ISO downloads on the Microsoft site or not,but you can torrent them pretty easily.

I would have a feeling that your MBR was destroyed. Try:

Put the Windows disc in the drive
Restart your PC
Enter your BIOS
Change the boot order to boot from CD/DVD first
Save and restart again
Choose your language, then click Next
Click Repair Your Computer
Choose your operating system (there will likely be only one listed), then click Next again
(Alternate step, skip the first time) type BootRec.exe /fixmbr and press EnteR
Select Use Recovery Tools That Can Help Fix Problems Starting Windows and click Next
Click Startup Repair

If yo're going to try the fixmbr, you can skip the last two steps too.

You can make a Windows recovery disk from a good PC running Windows 7 as well:How do I Make a Windows Recovery Disc?

You can use that if it's a hassle getting a real Win 7 disk.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think you are right about it being the MBR based on the research I've been doing. My desktop runs Windows 7 32 bit, not 64 bit, but who knows if that matters. I'll try making a recovery disc but I actually don't have any blank CDs so I'll have to wait and get one from work tomorrow.

and the actual error message is, "Error Loading Operating System".

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can make a bootable USB stick as well instead of CD, although I haven't done that in a really long time so I don't remember the steps.

Sounds like MBR, but worst case would be a bad harddrive. The repair might work if just some files got screwed up during the update.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
bios still recognizes the hard drive which gives me hope that it is just MBR. It's less than 2 years old so I am hoping it isn't the hard drive failing already...

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'm seeing weird upload traffic on my computer. Antivirus and other scanners report nothing. Process Explorer says svchost.exe. Is there any way to see what's behind this ?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
yeah open a command prompt and type "tasklist /SVC". This will tell you what .exe/programs are running from that svchost instance

If you find weird stuff after doing that, I think you can right click the particular svchost in task manager and close down those tasks

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I blocked the entire /16 in the router and I didn't write down the PID of the svchost instance
frown.png

Now it won't upload if I unblock them.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Stepped on my chromebook, cracked the screen, think it's worth fixing? Or would I be better off just buying a new one.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fixed my laptop. After trying two different recovery discs, a Dell recovery disc, and a Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition, I had about given up. My dad had an unopened legit (aka not downloaded/burned) copy of Windows Vista... so he said lets try it and see what happens. Computer finally booted to the Windows install screen (the farthest it got before was a black screen with the mouse cursor). Didn't want Vista but thought it was a step in the right direction so I closed out of that, took the CD out and booted the computer again and... it worked. I guess the Vista disc installed or repaired whatever was corrupted maybe? Who knows, but the Windows Update finished and I restarted about 6 times to make sure it really still worked and it did.

Drizz-_sl

shitlord
so I got Samsung 840 SSD and cant get it to register in bios at all.
I have a ASUS Sabertooth X58
My Bios v0603
1) I tried plugging it in multiple SATA ports
2) I tried multiple SATA Cords
3) I temporary unplugged my normal hard drive SATA cord and plugged it into the SSD
None of these picked it up in Bios or the software they give you

I RMA'd it back they sent me a new one and I have exact same issues.
Is my Bios version somehow too old where it wont pick up SSDs or did i get 2 defective shits in a row?

Any ideas?