Computer Issues

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Quick update. I built a new PC (mb, cpu, ram and primary m.2), I reused one m.2 , psu and my 3080ti. I have a psu and case on order to continue trouble shooting the old one and a 3060ti founders in a box ready for action that's been collecting dust. Not done troubleshooting the x570.
Bios update not help?

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Kind of in the same boat. Within the past 6 months, just tons of blue screens with random stop codes. Updated BIOS and all the internal drivers. GPU is running latest drivers. Went through all the Windows check disk and repair stuff. Did a complete reinstall of Windows, still getting intermittent BSOD. At this point I'm pretty sure it's mobo, memory or hard drive. Just don't know which.

• ASRock Z690 Pro RS, Intel LGA 1700 ATX
  • Intel I7 12700K Alder Lake 3.66GHz 12 Core
  • G.Skill Ripjaws, 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 CL16
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe
  • Nvidia 2070 Super

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
any idea why I'm getting intermittent flashing chessboard patterns on random areas of my monitor - they usually last a second or two. Have checked all displayport connections are secure.

RTX 3080
i7-13700k
Asus prime z790-a

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
any idea why I'm getting intermittent flashing chessboard patterns on random areas of my monitor - they usually last a second or two. Have checked all displayport connections are secure.

RTX 3080
i7-3700k
Asus prime z790-a
Usually card or monitors. Always been card for me so far.

It could be your 300 year old processor in this case though. If you end up replacing it cut it open to count the rings so we get an exact date.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Usually card or monitors. Always been card for me so far.

I edited it to reinstate the 1 in i7-13700k

The whole PC is in its warranty, do you think the card is failing? I should add this is just on normal desktop use - one ultrawide monitor. I haven't gamed on it for months

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I edited it to reinstate the 1 in i7-13700k

The whole PC is in its warranty, do you think the card is failing? I should add this is just on normal desktop use - one ultrawide monitor. I haven't gamed on it for months
Yes probably unfortunately. Also you can try swapping DP cables. But I don't ever recall getting artifacts from cables and those seem graphics side.

Also did you try uninstalling everything and going with older GeForce driver or alternatively checking to see if there's an update?

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yes probably unfortunately. Also you can try swapping DP cables. But I don't ever recall getting artifacts from cables and those seem graphics side.

Also did you try uninstalling everything and going with older GeForce driver or alternatively checking to see if there's an update?

did update yesterday but didn't clean install, will try that now

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My computer on Windows 10 never syncs to the correct time. It's always an hour off daylight savings time or not. It also won't let me change the time zone, but it has the right one but always the wrong time. I just set it manually and forget about it until today. I couldn't log into an online game because it said it couldn't authenticate because the time was wrong. So exit out and set my time back an hour to the incorrect time and then it lets me log in.

Set to the correct time according to google and it again says it is wrong time and I can't change the time zone since I thought that might work to match the two at least. Once set to correct time it says it's not correct and to play online I have to set the clock back an hour.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My computer on Windows 10 never syncs to the correct time. It's always an hour off daylight savings time or not. It also won't let me change the time zone, but it has the right one but always the wrong time. I just set it manually and forget about it until today. I couldn't log into an online game because it said it couldn't authenticate because the time was wrong. So exit out and set my time back an hour to the incorrect time and then it lets me log in.

Set to the correct time according to google and it again says it is wrong time and I can't change the time zone since I thought that might work to match the two at least. Once set to correct time it says it's not correct and to play online I have to set the clock back an hour.

The automatic time setting doesn't work?

Borzak

It sets the time, but it's always an hour behind and has been for a long time. I changed it to the correct time and that's been fine until I went to log in to an online game and it said my time was set incorrectly. If I change the time to be behind an hour like the computer wants to set it then I can log in online. It shows the right time zone. I thought I'd change the time zone an hour and it would fix it, but it won't let me change the time zone.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It sets the time, but it's always an hour behind and has been for a long time. I changed it to the correct time and that's been fine until I went to log in to an online game and it said my time was set incorrectly. If I change the time to be behind an hour like the computer wants to set it then I can log in online. It shows the right time zone. I thought I'd change the time zone an hour and it would fix it, but it won't let me change the time zone.
do you have location on? maybe it's fucking you up

Borzak

The only options not grayed out on the set date/time menu isS

Set time Automatically if chose it sets the time one hour earlier
Change - which if clicked I can manually set the time to the correct time
Sync which if picked sets the time an hour earlier

Grayed out, can't be chosen
Adjust for Daylight Savings time
Timezone - it has the correct time zone, central -6 which it should be 5 currrently but it can't be chosen/changed

All updates are up to date and I rechecked again to make sure when it happened this morning.

I used a VPN to the East Coast and againt to Mountain time and ran the launcher for the game. It still said time not set correctly. I did not launch the game as lately they have been on an anti VPN kick for in game purchases or whatever.

Like right now it's 1:04 am here. I launch the launcher and get error time not set correctly. I change to 12:04 and it launches, just a pain to remember to do it each time I launch just that game.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The only options not grayed out on the set date/time menu isS

Set time Automatically if chose it sets the time one hour earlier
Change - which if clicked I can manually set the time to the correct time
Sync which if picked sets the time an hour earlier

Grayed out, can't be chosen
Adjust for Daylight Savings time
Timezone - it has the correct time zone, central -6 which it should be 5 currrently but it can't be chosen/changed

All updates are up to date and I rechecked again to make sure when it happened this morning.

I used a VPN to the East Coast and againt to Mountain time and ran the launcher for the game. It still said time not set correctly. I did not launch the game as lately they have been on an anti VPN kick for in game purchases or whatever.

Like right now it's 1:04 am here. I launch the launcher and get error time not set correctly. I change to 12:04 and it launches, just a pain to remember to do it each time I launch just that game.
Something's fucky with your windows install or your user permissions. Do you have a separate admin account on the computer?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got a new laptop (16 GB ASUS with a 3050 and an i9 processor). The OLED screen is awesome (first time I've had that on a computer since 2014 or so) and the graphics card is holding up well with everything from EQ to PS2 emulation. Not worried about advanced modern graphics.

Only issue is that there's a lot of lag when doing regular tasks, like moving files around, pasting things, etc. Often will have half a second to one second of lag every time I do anything on here with any sort of intensive program. That adds up quickly and gets tedious.

Would replacing the 16 GB RAM with a 32 GB stick help with those bits of lag, or is it a processor issue? 13th gen i9 so the processor should be okay. I'd be alright with cranking this up to 64 GB even, especially if it has two RAM ports (think it only has one, though).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Got a new laptop (16 GB ASUS with a 3050 and an i9 processor). The OLED screen is awesome (first time I've had that on a computer since 2014 or so) and the graphics card is holding up well with everything from EQ to PS2 emulation. Not worried about advanced modern graphics.

Only issue is that there's a lot of lag when doing regular tasks, like moving files around, pasting things, etc. Often will have half a second to one second of lag every time I do anything on here with any sort of intensive program. That adds up quickly and gets tedious.

Would replacing the 16 GB RAM with a 32 GB stick help with those bits of lag, or is it a processor issue? 13th gen i9 so the processor should be okay. I'd be alright with cranking this up to 64 GB even, especially if it has two RAM ports (think it only has one, though).

Did you check all the power settings?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Did you check all the power settings?

Not sure what you mean, but I did run the troubleshooter for power settings and it came back with no issues.

Noticed that all the little lag bumps are more of a problem when it isn't plugged in, i.e. running off the battery.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Not sure what you mean, but I did run the troubleshooter for power settings and it came back with no issues.

Noticed that all the little lag bumps are more of a problem when it isn't plugged in, i.e. running off the battery.

I mean power/performance settings.

But more broadly, if I bought a new laptop with those specs and it can't run the OS smoothly, I'm just returning that shit.