Computer Issues

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
i'm now more confident in my assessment that it is heat related

Pre applied thermal paste wasn't common 20+ years ago, at least in my experience.

Ranak Ranak thermal paste is a dead easy thing to check for anyone with PC building experience. Clean the old paste off with isopropyl alcohol and apply new paste. If you want to get fancy, you can pick up this:

My bottles have lasted me over 10 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OlyBT

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've been using startallback to make windows 11 look like old windows. I just got a new PC and wanted to see if there was a way to export the settings, something updated and now my laptop is unusable. Just constant taskbar flickering, can't start any programs, open any settings, I can open task manager but no idea what process to kill to kill startall back.

Is there anyway I can boot into safe mode whilst the laptop is booting up or somehow uninstall startallback?
To start, let's try booting your laptop in safe mode. This mode will help you troubleshoot problems caused by recent software or updates. Just keep tapping the F8 key while your laptop is starting up, and you should see a menu with some options. Choose the safe mode option from there. Once you're in safe mode, you can try uninstalling the Startallback program. Go to the Control Panel, then find the "Programs" or "Programs and Features" option. Look for Startallback in the list of installed programs, right-click on it, and choose the option to uninstall. If the program still doesn't uninstall in safe mode, we can try another method. You'll need a USB drive or DVD with a Windows installation on it. If you don't have one, you can create one using the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website. Once you have the installation media, you can boot your laptop from it and access the recovery environment. From there, you should be able to uninstall Startallback. Btw, you should also check out the guide on where to get the windows key. It could help you solve potential problems in the future. Just a suggestion. Sharing it here because it works for me.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
my windows desktop keeps going flashing darker then going back to normal - all the text looks darker for a second. Nvidia RTX 3080 - latest studio drivers.

Not sure if it's my multi monitor setup using displayfusion to manage multi-monitor profiles

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
my windows desktop keeps going flashing darker then going back to normal - all the text looks darker for a second. Nvidia RTX 3080 - latest studio drivers.

Not sure if it's my multi monitor setup using displayfusion to manage multi-monitor profiles
Not enough detail, but it "sounds" like the cables bandwidth is maxxed out. Have you tried a different HDMI chord?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Not enough detail, but it "sounds" like the cables bandwidth is maxxed out. Have you tried a different HDMI chord?

It's connected via displayport to the main monitor - an MSI 343 CQR, and by HDMI to an LG monitor. There's also a HDMI cable to my Denon AVR which feeds my LG OLED but that display is rarely used with the PC. This problem has only started happening in the last fortnight

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone know if these things actually work when putting an older motherboard (1st gen X570) into a new case (Hyte Y60) that wants both a usb 3.0 gen 1 and a usb 3.0 gen 2 connector for type-a and type-c front ports?

1700000548125.png

I realize I won't get full speed out of the type-c port, but I have one of those on the back of the motherboard if/when I need it. This is just for convenience and not wanting one of my front ports to be dead.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone know if these things actually work when putting an older motherboard (1st gen X570) into a new case (Hyte Y60) that wants both a usb 3.0 gen 1 and a usb 3.0 gen 2 connector for type-a and type-c front ports?

I realize I won't get full speed out of the type-c port, but I have one of those on the back of the motherboard if/when I need it. This is just for convenience and not wanting one of my front ports to be dead.
the one i bought did work
be89cb5dfa960cffab9f1d986a5be61a.png

and yea, it was just to use the usb c on the front panel

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

the one i bought did work
Was looking at that type too, but i'd have to get a y-cable splitter to have the ability to connect both the usb-c and the usb-a 3.0 ports. The board version comes with a cable that goes from the mobo to the usb-a port on it, then you have the new usb-c out plus a copy of the original 20-pin connector. Only downside seems to be that it requires power. Which I guess isn't a big deal, but I got rid of everything in my PC that uses SATA or molex cables from the PSU long ago. Not even sure where the cables are since the PSU is fully modular. Edit: NM, my dumb ass didn't notice the second USB 3 header on the other side of the board next to the DIMM slots, so one like you linked actually should do what I need by itself and with no need for an extra power cable.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Was looking at that type too, but i'd have to get a y-cable splitter to have the ability to connect both the usb-c and the usb-a 3.0 ports. The board version comes with a cable that goes from the mobo to the usb-a port on it, then you have the new usb-c out plus a copy of the original 20-pin connector. Only downside seems to be that it requires power. Which I guess isn't a big deal, but I got rid of everything in my PC that uses SATA or molex cables from the PSU long ago. Not even sure where the cables are since the PSU is fully modular.
they have pcie ones
bc5d727cd88be99232de3c90fb2c6180.png

PCIe x1 to 19Pin USB 3.0 Header and Type E (A Key) Card,USB Front Panel Adapter, for 1 Front Panel USB A, 1 Front Panel USB C, USB 3.0 5Gpbs for Windows MacOS Linux

Vorph

they have pcie ones
Yeah, if I ever really need it to deliver actual 10Gbps USB-C speed I'll get a PCIE card. They're like $40 (the $20 ones are only 5Gbps) though, and I do have one on the back of the motherboard already that I've yet to use for anything so I passed on that for now.

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well, that was a kick in the dick. My monitor updated something, which caused my nvidia driver to start spazzing out over gsync and killing hdmi. I think I finally got it turned off on both the monitor and pc now. Hopefully I can stop playing fuck fuck games trying to get this fixed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
Computer keeps freezing requiring a hard reset often will freeze shortly after the bios posts but before it boots into windows. I think its the motherboard, the fan on the chipset (X570) never runs. Occasionally I can get into windows, although it freezes in seconds and occasionally I can load up a game and run it for a few minutes before things freeze again.

I have tried a new graphics card, different ram, (different ram slots), different m.2 drives. Motherboard is a MSI MEG X570 ACE with a 5900x. I do not have the ability to test a different CPU.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Computer keeps freezing requiring a hard reset often will freeze shortly after the bios posts but before it boots into windows. I think its the motherboard, the fan on the chipset (X570) never runs. Occasionally I can get into windows, although it freezes in seconds and occasionally I can load up a game and run it for a few minutes before things freeze again.

I have tried a new graphics card, different ram, (different ram slots), different m.2 drives. Motherboard is a MSI MEG X570 ACE with a 5900x. I do not have the ability to test a different CPU.
If you think it's the chipset, can you remove the heatsink / fan and try forcing air over it with even a box fan?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

contaact msi for a heatsink fan replacement it's a known issue that these x570 fans die, b/c the fans are so thin

some ppl have just replaced it from ebay/alixespress
637adaf7718e24f771d098b36d958878.png

your fan holes might be different, you have to open it up

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
I put some forced air on the chipset heatsink, computer still froze roughly 10 times before I finally made it to windows....where it froze a few moments later.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Update BIOS. use the method when its turned off.

As far as it getting into windows, you tried putting windows on different drive and using different socket on mobo? Do you ever check temps while its in bios to see if its unusually warm?

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
I tried installing windows onto a new drive in multiple m.2 slots, most of the time it never makes it to a spot where we can install windows. One time I managed to install windows, but it crashed mid install.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I tried installing windows onto a new drive in multiple m.2 slots, most of the time it never makes it to a spot where we can install windows. One time I managed to install windows, but it crashed mid install.
zip a 120 or 80 on top of your heatsink to see if that helps then

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
Quick update. I built a new PC (mb, cpu, ram and primary m.2), I reused one m.2 , psu and my 3080ti. I have a psu and case on order to continue trouble shooting the old one and a 3060ti founders in a box ready for action that's been collecting dust. Not done troubleshooting the x570.