Computer Issues

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I had comcast several years ago, same thing happened to me with their service. Always crapped out just long enough to disconnect me from whatever online game I was playing. Their techs came out time and time again and could never fix it. I had a feeling it was old coax somewhere along the line, but they weren't willing to trace it all back through the apartments I was living in at the time. Had to end up switching to DSL(only time I've ever had DSL in my life). Thankfully now I live in an area that isn't served by Comcast so I was able to go back to cable that is reliable.

tl;dr fuck Comcast, it's probably them, not you.

The first thing I would do is demand a different cable modem from Comcast. I have had cable modems go bad on me before, hopefully it's just that and not something in their lines(which they wont fix).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
i'm not sure since it's downstairs... the internet connection will report "limited" connection until it goes back... Comcast is the ISP
What kind of modem? Some modem firmwares have issues. A lot of people with my ISP are talking about getting a firmware update for their cable modem if it's one of a couple specific models.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
my internet has been randomly crapping out for periods of about a minute or two
Are you using fixed IP addresses? You'd get that behaviour if you had an IP conflict on your network. You could try doing an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew in a command prompt.

What OS are you running? If XP you can try runningthis toolto unrustle your winsock jimmies.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I believe Windows alerts you specifically when it's an IP conflict, though. Doesn't it?

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I believe Windows alerts you specifically when it's an IP conflict, though. Doesn't it?
It'll log an event regardless yeah, but the pop up in the bottom right appears sporadically on the machine the OS suspects is "in the wrong", which switches, so it's not a reliable indicator.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Here's an interesting one for you. I can access this site on my laptop on wifi at home, but not on my desktop. It says the connection timed out.

Pertinent -

Could access on desktop last night, can't today.
Can access every other site on the net (that I've checked) on the desktop.
Can't access this site in firefox, waterfox, or IE.

Works fine on the laptop in firefox.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Ping the site from your desktop. What do you get back?

Telnet to it on port 80. Type "GET /" and Enter. Does it do anything? You might need to install the telnet client for this.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
OK, so, ping it from your laptop. Do you get a response there?

Are you finding the IP address successfully on the desktop, even? Try "ipconfig /flushdns". Bit of a reach, but who knows... might be a DNS issue.

Do you have a router of some sort that might be interfering? Mine has a web "helper" function that gets in the way by trying to cache shit, so I turned it off.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Yes, get a ping from my laptop np.

The only difference in the router is that the desktop is hardwired, laptop is running off the wifi.

Flushdns = no effect.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Okay, try a traceroute.

tracert -d whateversite.org

Sounds like a routing or firewall issue.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Okay, try a traceroute.

tracert -d whateversite.org

Sounds like a routing or firewall issue.
Nothing in the router settings I can see that's different for desktop than lappy.

Tracert to rerolled.org fails after 13 hops.

Trace complete on laptop at 15.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Any internet security software on the desktop that isn't on the laptop?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
No. MSE only on both. And nothing added to the desktop since last night. Last thing I did last night was check the boards, and that's the first thing I tried to do in the morning. I figured it was just some 12/21 joke for awhile, until I was upstairs on the couch with the lappy and it loaded and there weren't any threads about any downtime or anything.

Turned off windows firewall, no change. Fucking weird as hell. Usually when something's fubar, it takes everything out with it. But literally every other site is fine, just rerolled. And clearly I'm not banned, so I'm outta ideas here.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I don't get it. At this point I'd try to load some live-boot linux CD on the desktop and see if the problem is confined to Windows.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Know what it was?

When the site opened, I couldn't get to it. Had to add

50.23.26.136www.rerolled.org
50.23.26.136 rerolled.org

To my hosts file. I didn't do this on any other computer in the house.

Once I deleted those 2 lines, it opened immediately.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Ah, there we go. I didn't think to ask about the hosts file.

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
So I've been getting a random bsod lately, it looks like it is caused by my nvidia drivers.

My mini dump file is as follow

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122112-4875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1+0x1EEF9)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88003BBEEF9, 0xFFFFF880137FEF50, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft? Windows? Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

They are up to date. Anyone know what I should do?

edit - just had another; looks to be something different.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122112-4859-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7B340)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF803668DD060, 0xFFFFF8801644BB60, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft? Windows? Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.